Panama or Equador

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

austo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Panama or Equador

Post by austo »

Fellas,Im off to Colombia in October with my partner to visit her family again...this time I'm dragging a mate along so we can take off surfing for a week (lesson learnt from last trip to escape inlaws :wink: ).There is a real good spot I wanted to go in Colombia but recent kidnappings put a stop to that one (the girl just wouldn't go for it) I'm tossing up between Panama and Equador.Both are cheap airfares from Bogota and both offer tours in the same price range. The big issue is I suppose crowds ,if you read all the internet sites they all claim no crowds... :roll: .Has anyone experienced either or both of these places and give me an opinion first hand.
Any info appreciated eg I know its southern swells that time of year just not real sure of prvailing winds Pacific Coast South America etc.

Thanks
Kneelos do it deeper
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I surfed Panama back in the 70's. The good thing about it is you have the Pacific side, and the Caribbean side, there have to be waves somewhere.
Never been to Ecuador.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Dunc

Post by Dunc »

Austo,
I surfed Panama 10 years a go some breaks were crowded and some weren't. The Carribean spots up around Bocas Del Torro were quiet but the Pacific spots were mostly busy particularly Santa Catalina although I managed to get pointed in the direction of a couple of quieter spots. I also went down to Jaque close to the Columbian border and there were no other surfers and good waves. I had no transport so could only surf the beach by the village which was pretty good. The surrounding coast looked like it offered great potential but access was very difficult. I also got the impression that banditos were a problem down that way. Being on the edge of the Darrien jungle its prime smuggling territory and I remember the local police logging my passport details when I arrived in case I went missing.
Dunc
austo

Post by austo »

Thanks for the info guys all good stuff. I'll look into it a little more, Equador is looking good lots of breaks in small area plus 6 hr drive to Nth Peru and of course Galaopgos option.
Thanks again. :)
Kneelos do it deeper
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

austo, I was on the Galapagos, a little over 6 yrs. ago. I found surf on two islands Santa Cruz and San Cristobal. The islands don't have alot of good spots although there are a few. The predominant S-SE trade winds mean that the most consistant spots are to be found on the north facing shores. The coast is made up of lava reefs, (super sharp) and boulders e the water is too cold for any kind of coral formation. Since the islands are located on the equator it receives swells N and S, but if they're small swells that coincide, they tend to nuetralise themselves.
austo

Post by austo »

Thanks Mark thats real handy to know..I've been doing a little more research and have spoken to some people and it looks like in October Nth Peru is the place to go so still weighing up all the options.
Kneelos do it deeper
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

You've got both swell windows still open in October. I ALMOST went to Equador, and did some research...

FWIW. It looked like the Esmeraldas have larger surf with their NW exposure...

It sounded like a poor area of the country, with a handful of concentrations of travellers.

Wish I could say first-hand...

Good luck!
WillP

Post by WillP »

I spent three weeks in Montañita a few years back. I highly recommend it. That region is loaded with surf.