Cabo San Lucas

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Eric Carson
Legend (Contribution King!)

Cabo San Lucas

Post by Eric Carson »

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm going in July or August.
-Eric-
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Eric, do you know where in cabo that you'll be staying? There's several breaks on the whole Los Cabo corridor! :)
kneemor
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

cabo wabo baby

Post by kneemor »

Best places to surf for the kneelo are:

Zippers - very accessible.
Old Man's if its bigger

http://www.surfline.com/travel/index.cfm?id=2159 -

I am now a stand up but these breaks should do fine.
Takayama Model T
Takayama In the Pink
Joel Tudor Diamond T
Hynson Twinzer
Mccoy Nugget
Rusty VX Bat Tail Quad
Blair Super Ugly
Webber Fat Burner
Phifer Phat Pig
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

The East Cape is great as is Pescadero (about 40 minutes north) on the Pacific side. Zippers is fun with Old Man's a second choice.

Wait until hurricane season is really in swing.
kbing since plywood days
K-man

Post by K-man »

Beware the estuary... :shock: If its open and running stay away,bad juju from sewers and other unmentionables.
Have a good trip!
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

My wife just layed this trip on me, and we haven't even looked for places to stay yet, so all this is helpful, thanks.
And in case anyone is wondering, yes, Florida has gone completely flat for the summer. :oops:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Dude - you have a cool wife!!!
jim richardson

Post by jim richardson »

Hey Jimbo!

Eric, Jim is right your wife is cool.
East cape has less crowd and gets really good. The further up the cape the less people. Zippers is fun but is usually packed with locals. I went to Punta Pescadero or as it is known locally, San Pedrito, in Febuary this year and scored. We were staying in Cabo and made the drive daily as Cabo and the East cape were flat. But like I said we scored 4-8' surf on a long right hand broken up point kind of like C Street Ventura with hollow sections with minimal crowd, like no crowd. This place will hold any size and has accomadations on the point. There are a couple of bed and breakfasts there but it is way out of town and there are no swimming pools or bars close by. But it is beautiful lush farmland and nobody on the beach. Book your rooms there and see just how cool your wife is. :D
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

My wife and I honeymooned at Shipwreaks in 1980; camped there for 2 weeks. It went from 3 feet to well over 15 feet during that period and only saw two other groups of surfers that entire time. Those were the days (daze).

Check your map of 'Cabo'. Cabo San Lucas is one thing and Cabo San Jose is another city 20 miles east (that's where Zippers is located). I usually stay at my friend's house on the hill overlooking that break.

Cabo San Lucas is a pretty crazy tourist town. It all depends on what you're looking for in a vacation.
kbing since plywood days
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Thanks for the info guys!
Yes, I have a very, very cool wife!! I finalized the trip, with 6 days of surf in late July. We chose the hotel Finstera.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Eric

Don't leave boards in car. I did and when I came back gone. Now that was 5 years ago and its got better in Mexico :roll: Take a dive mask the fish watching is great :D
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

There's some nasty shorepound on the Pacific side, right below Finisterra and out to El Arco.

Monuments is probably the closest spot to you there. Every time I've surfed it, it's one left where six guys can be a squeeze.

If you've got a car, heading up to El Cerrito etc. up the Pacific could be just a touch more effort than getting to Zippers...
skansand

Post by skansand »

eric, go to The Rock, between oldmans and zippers....ive scored it 8' and its like trestles with more power...

zippers is always more aggro in my experience...

want super heavy shorebreak? take a water taxi to lovers beach for 8 bucks..

if theres a good amount of swell in the water you should check out monuments (sick left point)...its on the way to zippers from the cabo strip... you'll see a big cement block in the center of the street where the monument used to be...park at the hotel...

have an exellent time...and go to cabo wabo to rock out and the sleepless lobster for a nice quiet dinner with your wife.... peace
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
M.E.
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by M.E. »

For the last decade it has been my policy to pass on all the spots from San Jose to San Lucas, anyware the local bus system goes. There is alot of pressure on those spots from the hords of old So Cal. drunken longboarders and the very agressive and often volent locals.
There are many Beautifull beaches on the East Cape with good surf and empty beaches, and Pedreitos on the Pacific side is an execlent option, less than an hour to the north from your hotel.
Pray for Surf and keep the Beer cold!!
Mike