Jakarta to G-land

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

halbs
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Jakarta to G-land

Post by halbs »

Attention Tomway, Doc Turbo and any other indo traveller, hey guys it is looking likely that I will be headed back to Java in September my question is this...How difficult is it to travel to GLand from Jakarta, what options are available without flying to Bali? How long is the journey and is it worth the hassle for three or four days? thanks for your help, Grant.
getting there is often as good as getting there
Doc Turbo

G Land via land

Post by Doc Turbo »

Grant,
sent you a PM, but the man with the details is Tom, he is in bali now, and will probably get back to you in a couple days.

but g land in a couple days with air/land transport in Java is pushing it.

Post by tomway »

Hi halbs

Yep, as Stephen says its a long overland trip. Frankly you'd be better flying to Bali.

I occasionally do weekend trips in from Surabaya - theres a 10pm train that gets down to stations outside the alas purwo national park early in the morning. I usually put my motorbike on the train and then ride in through the park, I can be in the water by the time the trades start to blow and morning sickness has departed. Most of the camps will be happy to put you up on a night by night basis if you just rock up. However... overlanding it from jakarta and you'll add at least 12 hours to that time. And if you're going to fly to Surabaya,you might as well fly to bali and get a package deal, it'd probably be almost as cheap in the long run too. What's a flight to Bali from jakarta these days Doc, rp600,000/60USD?

If you do decide to do it, there's a few cheap options for accomodation other than the camps in the park ranger stations. You can either walk in from there (about 8km's - you have to be keen to walk back after a long surf ;) ) or the rangers will run you up in a landrover or on a bike for a fee.

PM me nearer the time and maybe we could meet for a surf too :D
Doc Turbo

Post by Doc Turbo »

Maybe better you come up to West Java Tom, if you can get off work for a few days, we got a boat trip planned to Turtles this week, and Ombak 7 as well, Wednesday

what is the report from Bali

Jakarta to G-land

Post by halbs »

Thanks guys the trip is all starting to come together if it gets even more concrete and I book flights i will email you and plan more, looking forward to catching up somewhere on Java!! cheers Grant
getting there is often as good as getting there
tomway

Post by tomway »

Look forward to seeing you halbs 8)

Doc, been a little swell the last few days, surfed keramas yesterday morning with stevea, seemed crowded with lots of people taking off too deep and blowing waves. There were even a few punches thrown between an angry ozzie and a snakey local - stevea reckoned it was much less crowded than canggu has been recently though. Small this morning, but around lunch time swell started to pour in - bukit tomorrow, maybe sanur in the morning if the winds hold off.

Would love to be in west java but juggling family and baby sitting this week. Got the green light for a trip in July though :D