Australia to Bali airline experiences 08

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Sparrow
Legend (Contribution King!)

Australia to Bali airline experiences 08

Post by Sparrow »

This one goes out to any Australian guys/girls who have travelled to Bali so far this year.
What airline did you use & how was the experience with boards etc?
Ive noticed Qantas dont go to Indo anymore!
Anybody experienced Jet Star & how they treat the board situation?

Sad days when our trusty National airline drops its route to Indo :(
Xmas
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Xmas »

SF - flew Garuda in May. Took one board bag with 3 boards - fins removed - stuffed all my clothes (that would be 7 t-shirts, one pair of shorts and a pair of boardies) in that bag - 22kg on the way over and 28kg on the way back - they didn't blink. Jetstar is Qantas under a different name.

Service with Garuda was fine - pretty basic - no personal entertainment in seat - listened to my ipod and read a book - 6 hours just flew by :wink:

Tip - don't leave Syd on a Sunday - crazy crowds and if u haven't been (but I suspect u have) go to Nusa Lembogan - Mel and I loved the laid back approach.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Thanks Grant :wink:
Really only have two choices if i choose to go. Garuda or Jet Star.
Ive done Garuda many years ago but was wondering about Jet Star. Im more concerned about extra charges with boards as it is a low budget airline where you pay to fart even :roll:
Any experience from Aus. would be appreciated.
Alex, if you read this which airline did you go?
tws
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by tws »

Simon,

My Brother flew earlier in the year after lucking into some on sale fares ex Vic. $400 each way from Melb including Taxes. He took 2 Boards and luggage. He was slugged about $50 on the way over and $150 on the way back for excess.

I think the charge is $10-$20 US per kg over limit 20 KG I think ?

By the way I fly up to the Goldie a bit for work and usually get put on Jetstart by the boss becuase its cheap. If swell looks good I'll take up the board and hopfully look into some super bank action :lol:

My experiances if your 1 KG over with jestar they will slug ya, but Vigin are a lot more relaxed.

I think Singapore Airlines have the odd Flight ??

TWS
red

Post by red »

I've been told that if you call the airline before check in and arrange overweight, you will pay for excess, but it's a lot cheaper than the rate at the check-in counter.
I've yet to try it, because I've always preferred to flutter my eyelashes at the check-in lad. Funny, as the wrinkles start to fold over my eyebrows this doesn't seem to work so well anymore.
griz

Post by griz »

G`day Simon,
Garuda was`nt an issue with excess for me an the family last year to Bali,but I can add don`t fly with Cathay Pacific as I was absolutely raped with excess fees to and from Singapore (3 boards and bag)
KLHK
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by KLHK »

Hey Simon, I flew with singapore last week, had to stop there, but service is excellent. I had one bag to check and two boards. No fees. (plus carry ons)
I have flown with singapore for most of my longer flights this trip. I flew qantas a few times but service was poor as far as I'm concerned.
It really is lovely over here!
Kiya
halbs

flight experience

Post by halbs »

Although a longer flight my family and I have been doing the Singapore Airlines thing the last few years, super service and no drama about fees. Quality airline, less stress the better. And you get a hot towel.

We flew back this January with the four kids and a younger couple from home who had the same amount of baggage as my whole tribe...I warned them about excess but they smiled and thought I was giving them curry as I'm known to do...well at check in fees for excess, $2000 US!!! that was with QANTAS!!

A mate and I are flying Singapore to Jakarta in Sept. and will do Airasia for other flights.
getting there is often as good as getting there
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Thanks heaps everyone for the input.
Hey Halbs :lol:
Mate what a shocker with deciding to go or not good to see you made the call to go. What happened to the bathroom reno`s :o
The singapore route scared me off, though Ive heard good reports about the airline. Where did you decide to go?
Qantas Indonesia flogged us when we returned to Australia from Jakarta after filming the movie Inside & Out. Gavin got charged $800 US where Steeno & myself took on every approach known to man to get out of it, it was not pretty at the end.

Thanks Kiya, watch out for Steve Artis :lol:

Thanks Griz, Garuda is looking the best so far. My mate has been asking me to do an Indo trip with me but found out that Jet Star wont except his length of board. Im sure they will with a lot of extra $$$$$$. Garuda works for me either way. Thanks for the Cathay advise :wink:

Hey Red, I know what lengths you go to prevent extra costs with excess clothes :lol:
You are correct about the discount fees for excess weight. 20kg should do me fine.

TWS
Thanks mate for the heads up. Thought it might be that way. :D

Garry, thanks for the PM about Jet Star. Helps with the decision :wink:
halbs

Post by halbs »

Hey Simon yep made the decision still getting the guilts about it but keen, we are heading to West Java looking forward to warmer waters, cold Bintang, barrels and shallow razor sharp reefs?!?!?!

Hope your trip goes well look forward to seeing the snaps!

Hey and I heard a rumour you got my blank inside that nice looking 6'2"!! Great work mate safe travels. Grant
getting there is often as good as getting there
albert

Post by albert »

I also heard a rumour today that they were getting a lot stricter on the amount of boards you can carry into Bali.

I have usually heard that as long as you have three boards or less that they dont bother you, but once you have four or more they try to sting you usually to the tune of $75US per extra board.

Anyone have any recent experiences with this? Has anyone recently had any troubles with having three boards in your board bag?

All I am planning on bringing is three boards but if I am going to get stung for more cash straight off the plane then I would appreciate some tactics to get around it.

Thanks
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Hey Albert,
I can tell you last year when I went to G-Land the customs bloke asked straight up if I had anymore than 3 boards. I would be interested also but as of last season 3 boards was OK. Depending on the person who pulls you aside to "Talk Business" in his office about how much it will cost you for the extra board or boards they can start at a ridiculous price of US$500.00 I started at $500 & got down to $50 for 2 extra boards the year before. I don't think there will be a set cost per board just how good you are at playing the game. :wink:
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

Hi Albert,

The other trick is to travel with someone that doesn't surf and attribute the 'additional' boards to them. Or do the negotiation tango and settle on a reasonable price. By the sounds of it Simon has it down to pat... from USD500 to USD50!!! :shock: :lol: That is seriously good.

The customs guys can be very touchy and know they have the upper hand, so if you negotiate keep it low key and fun.

Enjoy Indo...love the place!!

Regards

Garry
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
ross

Post by ross »

ah good old customs at Denpesar :lol:

My usual course of action is to asses the check in line when leaving Sydney. Pick out a few people who appear to be travelling with less than three boards and go about accosting them to say they are travelling with you and you are carrying boards for them.

Sounds dicey, but i've had moderate success with it. In fact last year was the first time it didn't work :oops:
I get to check in , two older blokes with what appear to be 2 boards each and 2 rather attractive young ladies with one board each are my "targets"(this sounds dastardley doesn't it? :oops: :lol: ). I adopt my usual plan and wait till I'm in the departure lounge before i weave my magic.

Rest assured about which team I'am batting for, of course i hit up the young ladies. Turns out the girls are 18, with this being their first trip to indo. It also turns out they are from North Avoca (1 beach away from me :wink: ) and i went to school with their brothers. Looks like i won't have to talk to the old fossils :wink: :lol:

i ask the girls if they have heard about board restrictions in Denpesar, which they had and before i can finish asking my little favour one of them just goes "no worries i'll say one is mine!".

now for the important bit and the flaw in my silly little scheme. When your filling out your immagration info before landing make sure you include your new friend in the question about number of people you are travelling with. If you are a dickhead like me and fail to do this. you will look like an even bigger dickhead at arrivals when customs come looking through board bags.
Picture me thinking I'm home sweet, the customs man knows as well as me that these hot young girls would not be travelling with an ogre like me. Imagine his delight and my despair as he points out my fatal error on the immagration form :cry: :roll:

off to the little room for a talk :?

first thing, try not to sweat, keep the attitude light and happy.

As mentioned above customs man (think Bangcok Hilton) goes for the huge US dollar amount.
My reaction to this is to pull out a novel and start reading. I ignore him for a couple of minutes, which seems to agitate him. The reason for this is that they have to give their supervisor a cut if he sees them fleecing you.
So time is your friend, drag it out for as long as you are game enough.
this will bring the price down real quick.
Out of fear that i'am ticking him off to much i pack the book away. The price is down to 100US. When he says 100. I agree and say yes i will pay 100 000 rupiah :lol: The guy goes off like a volcano. He slams the desk at sceams "US DOLLAR" at me. I've got him close to where i want him now. Yelling and causing a scene is gonna attract the attention of the supervisor. So now he needs to wrap this up real quick.

I offer him $40. He doen't like it but he yeilds. He really isn't very happy :lol:
So you can imagine his face when i hand him $40 AU :lol: He shunts the table at me screaming something about US dollars.

To which i reply "I'm Australian mate why would i have US dollars?" with a little smile on my face( which really is a facade as i've grown 2 inches taller in my seat from shitting my duds).

He tells me to go. It takes me a second to realise whats going on, before i get to my feet and bolt out of there.

back to the question about flights? As with Kiya and Grant , i'm going Singapore airlines. Landing in Jakarta with as many boards as i want( no tax) and making my plans from there :)
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Very funny Ross :lol: