Indo and Mentawai Photos

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

randiego
Legend (Contribution King!)

Indo and Mentawai Photos

Post by randiego »

For those who haven't noticed, Joe created a new photo album for the Indo Mentawai photos under "Contests and Gatherings" called "Indo 2008".

Thanks for doing that Joe - it gives us an opportunity to have them all in one spot. As I keep digging out from my own personal avalanche of material, I'll keep posting - as I'm sure the other boys will. 8) 8)

For those who have been under a rock, in early June a group of 7 kneeboarders (and one standup) took a boat trip in the Mentawais. The trip was organized by Fred Rodriguez and Greg Little and included Barry Baker, Fred Peterson, Chuck 'Razor' Smith, Wayne Kopit, myself and HB standup Larry Beltramo.

The trip was 13 days on the boat, and it was a huge success. We got a ton of waves (as the photos show) and had some really fun times to boot. Everyone got along really well and the vibe was good. It was my first time to Indonesia and it was awesome to travel with guys who have had the experience already - this was Greg's 4th Mentawai trip and Fred, Barry, Wayne and Larry had each been at least once that I know of.

It was an amazing experience - I'm already plotting on how to get back. :D :D

"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
K-man

Post by K-man »

Peeked out from under my rock... :lol: And enjoyed the photos.Good camera work,great surfing,a pleasure to be a member of this forum.Quality stuff..... 8)

cheers
halbs
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

indo photos

Post by halbs »

Great work on the quality photos, although it is making my life rather difficult as top temps are about 15degrees and water temp is scarey cold!!So it is much easier to sit and look through the snaps rather than going out and working in the shed or yard or going for a surf!!

Heading to Indonesia in September and have also booked the Mentawai trip for 2009, I had best go do some work!!!

thanks for the snaps
getting there is often as good as getting there
maxb

Post by maxb »

a couple of us are scheduling a trip through waterways for next july. want to know if we might have some other takers. we have three confirmed. if intereested please be serious. i would like to get down payments in as soon as possible
pm me
kbing newport
Doc Turbo

Mentawai

Post by Doc Turbo »

Here is another possibility for those of you traveling long term in Indonesia, and cannot shell out USD 300-400 per day for Mentawai Trip.

http://www.coconuts-mentawai.com/index.html

Basically as I understand, the guests must arrange their own transport to the camp (ferry or whatever) then they stay in the camp each night. During the day you can try to surf near by from land, or get the camp boat shared with up to five surfers, for about USD 160 / boat per day, so with meals and all you are looking at about usd 100 per day or so.

I have not been, but spoke to the agents here in Jakarta

If any has tried this or similar, let me know