mentawais july 2009

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

maxb
Legend (Contribution King!)

mentawais july 2009

Post by maxb »

We are trying to put together a boat trip on the freedom II through waterways travel for the end of july 09. We have 2 kneelos ready with deposits a 3rd that says he is committed and are looking for 4-6 more to be able to book the boat. I would like to hear from anyone interested. pm me maxb or if you need to call me 714 904 6240. If we can get 6 deposits by sept. 25 we can get a 5% discount ,not alot ,but better than nothing.
I have never been ,but I am dying to go :twisted:
kbing newport
maxb

Post by maxb »

we are still looking for at least 2 kb'ers to go, otherwise we can't book the boat and will have to get on a boat with whoever they book us with :(
i'd much rather go with some people from this site
if anyone else is booking for next year and has 2 openings kenny and i will fill them. let me know
max
kbing newport
maxb

Post by maxb »

Well we have come up with 4 kneelos and have booked the f 2 for 7-3 thru 7-15 2009 we would love to get at least 2 more so we can fill the boat.
as of now myself, ken honingford, fred peterson, and stemple are booked.
Anyone else interested p m me
max
kbing newport
khoningford
Local (More than 25 post)

Mentawais july 2009

Post by khoningford »

Just throwing this up here again in case any of you surf- starved (and I do mean SURF STARVED) individuals might be contemplating a change of scenery. And while there are no guarantees in life I'm fairly certain that given the locale and the time of year this trip is scheduled for, it's a cinch we'll get sumthin'. As of last count we still have four guys who have deposits in...Stemple (NorCal charger and KSUSA regular), Fred Petersen (If you haven't heard of him you're probably dead) Max Bollinger (Archbishop of Our Lady of the Greenroom) and myself. There is still plenty of room left for anyone else interested but the time is NOW to get your deposit in and secure yourself a seat on what could be the trip of a lifetime. If you're as over this dismal winter as I am and think you might be interested, please PM me or Maxb for all the details...

Good surfing to ya,
kenny
spidah da kneeridah
maxb

Post by maxb »

Well ,the time is almost upon us. We are four kneelos 3 of which are going to indo for the first time. We leave in 33 days and Ifor one am having trouble sleeping at night. Ihave these visions of long spinning barrels , endless green walls just waiting to be annihilated, ear to ear grins, and voices so hoarse from hooting at your friends waves.I am like a kid waiting for Christmas. Santa bring me some barrels. 8)
Max
By the way, we are going with 4 only ,no one else on the boat yet.If you can make the time ,they have dropped the price to off season rates, at least $800.00 off if you are interested pm me or call me 714-904-6240
HERE'S TO INDO IN JULY :D
kbing newport
khoningford

I have a dream...

Post by khoningford »

With apologies to the late Martin Luther King... Three more weeks, three more weeks...Thank God almighty, three more weeks!!!!
spidah da kneeridah
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Kate Gerson of Coastalwatch wrote:Good times continue in the Mentawais. May 25 – June 1, 2009

The surf's been consistently good the past week in the Mentawais, with solid waves booming from Monday right through the week, tapering off slightly into the weekend.

It seems like a bunch of pro surfers have been keeping an eye on the charts and making the most of the break on the world tour to sneak in a boat trip - there's been tons of high performance action going down over the past week. Brad Gerlach's lines at Rifles were phenomenal, Kai Otton, Dayyan Neve and Craig Anderson were blowing up at several fast lefts in the region, and Rob Machado and the Reef team swung through to film for an upcoming team movie. There's even been rumours of the Indies Trader being loaded up with more talent than you could poke a stick at, including Mick Fanning and Julian Wilson.

All that aside, the waves have been pumping and the swell's been getting in everywhere - some spots that almost face in opposite directions to each other have been firing simultaneously. Which is weird but no one's been complaining. All the name spots have had their moments and there's been plenty of quiet corners to sneak off to for solo sessions.

The swell forecast for the next week looks set to deliver consistent waves in the 4-6ft range. We've had a great start to the season up here, and it looks set to continue.

Full indo report at
http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/articl ... e1,%202009
Looks like you guys are going to score.
maxb

Post by maxb »

we're back! well 3 out of 4 anyway,syd went over to bali for a few days after the boat trip ended.
we scored right from the first morning till our last surf on the last day. icelands 3-6 1st morning not epic but very fun,everybody scored alot of waves there , that evening nokandui about 3-4 i only got 2 waves before dark (unbelievably shallow :shock: ) the 2 weren't big but they were awesome, went north after that (the boys from last year no where) 3 days of just us and waves from 3-6+ freddie scored a lonnnng left barrel there ,a very rippable wave that barrels ,getting caught inside there sucks ,as with pretty much every wave we surfed syd made some great turns and scored some big barrels there as well, and kenny, let's just say he definitely got his share of the sets (1 session 2nd day 7-8 hrs ) , when we went back south we hit a break called suicides :wink: very shallow right, near telescopes bad current pulling you deeper on the reef ,hard to make even without the current, kenny got a set and tried for glory the barrel closed and luckily he came up in one piece, the next 11/2 days we surfed telescopes 4-6+ (one of my favorite waves :D ) freddie,syd,kenny, and myself scored some of the best waves of our lives there, if a wave was made to rip that is the one, went to the playgrounds, and missed out on some of the spots there we nipussy big 10+ faces fun but kinda soft, checked bank vaults, direction not quite right ,big but shutting down and not makable(that is one shallow ,hollow wave) looked at nokandui at about 4' overhead no takers :oops: , went to ht's ,BINGO, one wave i really wanted and we scored uncrowded 6-8 everyone on the boat got unreal waves, even saw freddie surf totally backside in a smoking barrel, sydmade some big drops ,and pulled into a couple heavy barrels, kenny was charging, and i let them know i was there, that is a heavy wave, next morning we got lances left double overhead+++ biggest waves of the trip, morning session was fun with big drops and open faces to be had, lots of water moving ,i actually had to get my big (for me) romo out hard to get into, tide dropped and the offshores really howled on a solo session i got my bomb of the trip, last day and half at maccas, all kneelos killed it 8) how could you not, consistently 3' wit a few hh+ sets that wave is unreal barrels, snaps, past vert hits, and high speed cutbacks, we all loved that place. syd has most of the photos on his camera so we have to wait for him to get back. i have some , but not of everyone.
we all had a great trip and i wonder why i took so long to go, that place is a kb'ers dream 8)
max
p.s. kenny, freddie, and syd i had one of the best times of my life sharing this trip with you, hopefully you feel the same :)
kbing newport
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

SOunds like another great trip, and although you guys weren't too close, I wonder what the future holds for Padang.
Breaking news.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/world ... od=myyahoo
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Been thinking about you guys Max! Thanks for the great report and for sure, you guys really scored. Wow, what a trip. Congratulations to all. Can't wait for the pics :D :D 8)
tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

Great high stoke report Maxb :D
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Having travelled with Freddy this does not surprise me. The dude is balls out and a great travel partner.
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

Max freddie p. kenny syd sounds like you guys had a killer trip 8) cant wait to see the footage and hear some stories!
I heard a few from fred p. yesterday
stoked :D
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey Fred, how does this trip compare to '08??
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Right on :!: Stoked for you guys 8)