South Africa and Namibia

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

monkey boy
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

South Africa and Namibia

Post by monkey boy »

My wife and I are planning to head to South Africa and Namibia around Feb/March next year.

Anyone got any top tips.

I'm looking to do a long term vehicle rental or buy back and drive from Durban to Cape Town ...... any tips on the best rentals. Is a 4wd necessary as we'd like to check out the wild coast. How long should I allow for this trip.

We are then planning to either fly or drive up to Namibia.

Any hints and tips would be appreciated.
Cheers
MB
red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

from Durban:
Cave Rock
Greenpoint
Scotburgh
Happy Wanderers
The Spot
Umzumbe
Couple of other spots I don't remember. It's probably the best stretch of right hand points in the world.

Know a couple of people who lost limbs to Wild Coast sharks so I avoided that part of the coast. Actually walked half the wild coast about 30 years ago. Some nice setups but deserted and far from medical attention.

Further south:
Gonubie
Yellowsands
East London (Nahoon)
Skip PE and head to J Bay
Cape St Francis if it's big enough (rent Endless Summer)
Seal Point (good shark action here too)
Victoria Bay (always waves here - nice camping on the bay - well worth a stop)
Some wild spots down near Cape Agulus (darn spelling) - rival the Wild Coast for deserted and wildlife (including crayfish and other goodies)

Cape Town and the West Coast is a whole world of its own - need local help.

Drove 7000km in Namibia over 2 months without a surf. Didn't really miss it. Camped for weeks out in the middle of the desert - magical. Big sky extreme beauty.

There are waves at Walvis Bay (an endless left)
and around Swakopmund, but the water is cold and it's often foggy and chilly.

Watch your stuff and keep your partner safe.

Red
gregw

your trip

Post by gregw »

Go to Jbay
Check into Khaya Zinza our 5 star guesthouse overlooking Supertubes
Get a guide ( we can organize ) for the Wild Coast
Contact me if you would like more info
www.luxurysurf.com
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Surf the "Bay of Plenty" right there in Durban, and it has shark nets. :D It's a world class break, and they use to hold the Gunston 500 there. It's where Martin Potter became famous, 15 year-old amatuer gets second place, goes pro. He was able to surf with us kneelo's then. :lol: :wink:
Cave Rock is up the coast, er ah down the coast, it's all abckwards over there. It was famous back in the day. Greenpoint is a super long right point, breaks far out, and was rated one of the top 10 waves in the world at one time. I was reading about it in Surfer Magazine because I had surfed it also, and was shocked to read that it also had the most recorded shark attacks in the world. :shock: I did feel kinda creeped out on the spot, but we were surfing it with Shaun Tompson, Peter Townend, and many of the top pro's at the time who were in town for the Gunston.
You must surf Jeffries Bay!
Capetown has many good waves also I hear. I would stay away from False Bay though, we have pics of the Landlord here, and lets just say he's a very big boy! :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

This a great website that'll keep you busy late into the night
http://www.wavescape.co.za/frontpage/home.html

You'll be going in the summer so I think that winds might not be optimal and swell may not be as consistent. But, I'm sure waves can be found.
Gotta love the resource that Red is. He told me that South of Durban there are many quality R hand points and I think that there are nets down as far as Port Edward.

East London is very nice and there's some spots North of town that are awesome (I've been told). I saw Nahoon Reef going off with just 6-7 guys out in early May.

Be sure to only use private hospitals in case of injury and you'll be fine. I've been in many of the public facilities and there are many struggles that exemplify the term "Resource Limited"

Best of luck and post some pics 8)
Brad
Andy
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Andy »

Howzit Monkey Boy ( :? )

Like most places "Souf Effrika" has its share of cooking surf - but also like most places, its not always like that, we get our share of flat spells and onshores.

That said, apart from the really well known areas (Durban J-Bay etc) the vibe is fairly mellow and there are LOADS of uncrowded spots.

Our winter is generally better (May-September) but if youre prepared to hang out in JBay a while you may hook a decent southwest swell, which will doubtless make you :D , :o and :lol:

Im sure there kneelos up (down?) the east coast who you can hook up with, but if you come down south/west give me a buzz

cheers

Andy
monkey boy

Post by monkey boy »

Great info.

Any idea how long it would take to drive Durban to Cape Town?

I'd like to check out the Wild coast and coffee bay, is a 4wd needed?

How safe will it be to leave my wife on the beach while I'm in the water - she's a boogie boarder, but tends not to go out if it looks a bit heavy.

Cheers and big thanks!
MB
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I hear it's about 1700 km's. Back in the day, the Transval was considered kinda dangerous. Not sure now.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Andy

Post by Andy »

Yeah, just over 1700 km is about right, on the highways you can easily average 100km/hr (speed limit is 120), on the secondary surfaced roads average say 80-90 (speed limit generally 100km/hr). On gravel or really $%^&roads anything between say 40 and 80. Dbn to Ctn is 2 easy days driving, but youre gonna be stopping at the surf spots right? The whole south coast, wild coast, J Bay, Seal Point, Stil Bay, Jongensfontein, Vic Bay etc......You could make that trip last a month easy !

Safety-wise, generally it is ok, in the isolated areas you gotta watch out for the petty stuff...
monkey boy

Post by monkey boy »

Thanks guys.

It doesn't sound like I would be too stretched by this drive or need a 4wd.

I'm thinking that we'll spend 10-14 or so days to allow us to make stop-offs to surf :D

Cheers
MB
Terence H
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Terence H »

MB hello i live in Durban and i must just say avoid the Spot ,back when Red lived in South Africa it was fine but now it is just not worth it. Locals might just relieve you of everything.

Regards
Terence Hogben
red

Post by red »

Terence,
Nice to see you're still out and about. It must be 20 years.
Be good if a few of you boys could make it to NZ.
I hope to get over to SA again within the next few years.
Red
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

red wrote:Terence,
Nice to see you're still out and about. It must be 20 years.
Be good if a few of you boys could make it to NZ.
I hope to get over to SA again within the next few years.
Red
Howzit Red yes it has been a while :-)
It is like old times on this forum with the imparting of Kneeboard knowledge.

Unfortunately with Richard Longmore,s untimely and very sad passing that South African competitive Kneeboarding came to a halt ,it is only when somebody is gone do you you realize how much they did.

I cannot come but will ask around.

Really good to hear a lot of the old voices .
I am really going through all the Kneeboard design posts about rails and concaves and thickness to pick up if how much has changed for when i order a new board, trying to get a shaper to forget stando boards when he makes mine ,pity i cannot afford to bring a Aus board in.
Come and ride KZN South Coast when you come visit.

Regards
Terence