CAPE CONRAN GIPSLAND VICTORIA SURF INFO

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

jdc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

CAPE CONRAN GIPSLAND VICTORIA SURF INFO

Post by jdc »

HOWDY

going camping this comming school holidays to Marlo. Am told Cape Conran is the local surf spot.

Anybody got the goods on the area re surf. I know spots further north but they are too far for family harmony to consider.

Just bought a low k's excellant condition 2004 subaru forester as the new surf wagon so looking foward to this trip. Gota say good time to buy a quality car. Decent Board, decent wettie and decent car so now we just need huey to provide decent surf.

cheers
i like surfing
red
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

Hopefully someone from Lakes Entrance will chime in with more details.
I've been to Cape Conran many times. Flat most times. Surfed it once (on the south side of the cape). Nice peaks running left and right.

There's rumours of waves down the beach towards the Snowy River entrance but I've never seen anything I'd surf.

I've surfed Red Bluff in Lake Tyers a few times. I think this is the most consistent wave in the area (about 1/2 hour from Conran). Couple other waves around Lake Tyers when the Bluff is on.

Lakes Entrance at the lakes mouth - far out - scarey, but surfed (with boat aid, mostly).

Not too cluey about north of Cape Conran. Spent some time in the national park there (South of Mallacoota, actually) looking for waves. Long 4WD tracks to the coast and absolutely deserted beaches, but a fair bit of cliffs, too, so access is tricky. I think Tassie blocks a fair bit of southerly swells so you want a low off NSW to generate a nor east swell.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Heaps of waves north, but you wanna know where your going.....scery's.
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
jdc

Post by jdc »

cheers red

Ive had few summer waves at Mallacoota and hear tales but yet to score.

Hey steen!

Ive surfed a bit around salt water in the ben boyd national park and further north at nelsons beach north of Tarthra (spelling?)

On the up side around these parts at least, autumn is starting to show in the weather and swell patterns. Finally, there are light off shores in the am after months of soueasterlies
i like surfing
pittolo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by pittolo »

Hi jdc Tathra is the spelling but you say Tarthra (I live 15k away in Bega). I can not help much on Gippsland info other than to say i spend a week at Lakes Ent over Xmas, and i did not get my board wet and the bluff was the only place that looked like you would get a wave. I think Red was the one who told me about the bluff via this site. But on spots around Tathra, yep Nelson's can have a good wave, so to can Gilliard's. There are heaps of spots heading up the coast from Tathra. Middle Beach is my favorite. But I hope Merimbula brings in some good waves this winter, like it did last winter. I hope this helps - Phil