Costa Rica June-July

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

chuckster
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Costa Rica June-July

Post by chuckster »

Going to Costa Rica in June- July. Anyone else going down there?
Flights on Taca Air. good price from LAX ($280. now) R/T. I hope to surf Pacific Northern and Central coasts. Dates are June 25th- July19th.
Last edited by chuckster on Fri May 29, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still rippen after 40 years. 40 years thats right
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Where are you staying? Is this a group/package thing or are you just a wild man on the loose?!
kbing since plywood days
chuckster

Post by chuckster »

surfhorn wrote:Where are you staying? Is this a group/package thing or are you just a wild man on the loose?!
Ok I am winging it. Low budget, no car, places to stay, FWB , No reservations needed. traveling on the wild side.... been there a few times. So many places to stay this time of year, off season. Good time of year, have always had good surf. Rainy (Green) season. I got my ticket for $280. on Taca. Flying from LAX the morning of the 24th returning the 20th of July. My friends got their flights July 5th to the 17th of July. Same price. Excellent price from LAX. Looking to surf Pacific side, northern Guanacaste, and working south along the Nicoya. Crossing over to the mainland and heading to beach breaks south. I got my favorites.
My surf trip starts July 5th. when my friends get there. I have friends near San Jose and will be staying there till the 5th. I wont have a car before that so I will use public transport. Bus service is good there. they go everywhere.
Yea I guess its an adventure on the wild side.
Jimbo

Costa

Post by Jimbo »

Chuckster (or anyone else for that matter) - what is the real crowd scene down there? Lookking for a different place to go next year and while Costa Rica seems really great there is a lot of talk about crowds. Just wondering how it is from the perspective of people that go there frequently. Thanks
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Chuckster,

I wish you luck, good waves and Pura Vida on your trip. $280 is a fantastic price...I have 2 questions about that.

1) does that cover the cost round-trip?

2) how much are they charging you to bring your board? Are you bringing more than 1 board?

OK, so that's 3 questions. I'm not very good at math. :oops:
chuckster

Re: Costa

Post by chuckster »

Jimbo wrote:Chuckster (or anyone else for that matter) - what is the real crowd scene down there? Lookking for a different place to go next year and while Costa Rica seems really great there is a lot of talk about crowds. Just wondering how it is from the perspective of people that go there frequently. Thanks
There are a lot of beach breaks, Crowds are in the main towns, and the well known breaks... Jaco Beach, Playa Hermosa, Pavones.... I have never had a problem. Another reason to go off season. Just be respectfull, friendly, have good surf etticate and standard protocals. There are a lot of waves to be had, no need to be aggressive.
Yes that was a R/T flight. Taca charges 100 bucks for boards one way. I left an old board down there years ago and it still works great.
Ok hope that answers some questions.
Pura Vida
Chuky
bigtony
Local (More than 25 post)

Costa Rica

Post by bigtony »

Will be there July 25-Aug 1st.

Tico crowds are thick when the surf is small. Once things get overhead in Playa Grande most of them stay over in Tamarindo.

Either way you shouldn't have any problems getting waves.

Pura Vida
BIG TONY
kosmicdreamer

Post by kosmicdreamer »

If you can make to Nosara area you will not have much trouble with crowds
this time of year and there is always a decent break... even when its not firing.