java kneelos road trip

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Doc Turbo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Doc Turbo »

Tony Wales wrote:Great report guys. Shocked at the development at "B'w'r". What the... ?? Has the breakwall affected the reef or is it just wide enough? None the less that breakwall will change the flow of fresh water which is instrumental in shaping the reef. Can you still gain access to the reef or is it "off limits"?

During my Indo years I was asked by the tourist people in East Jawa to go on a surf scouting mission as they saw surfing as a big source for tourist dollars (the G-Land affect). This was around the same time they were talking (Indo talk :roll: ) about building an airport in the jungle at G-Land so that planes could arrive directly and bring the surfers straight in!! :roll: :roll: :roll: We did a lot of "NO! NO! NO!" on that suggestion. I couldn't make the trip but my old Indo stomping mate and future ASP head honch Peter Whittaker did the trip. He was away for a week and when he arrived back in Bali he described it as a nightmare ... long straight beaches just closing out and giant cliffs just plunging into the sea, and all of this being open and exposed to big southern ocean swells - add the fact that most potental breaks weren't protected from the trade winds and Pete reported low surf potential compared to the rest of the country. Pete told stories of driving for hours along less than goat track roads followed by long trecks through jungles and sand hills just to get to the beach and find nothing but close outs or cliffs. Keep in mind that Indo officials have no idea what constitutes a good surf break or a beach with potential ... most of the places Pete would have visited would have been a location where some of the officials could see the benefits of Indo style "social tax" kickbacks :lol:

Most of my own Jawa time was spent around Cimaja and G-Land. During the wet season we did a few "fast boat" trips over to the P'kung rights and they were nearly always good - some good potential there.
I think I remember Peter Whittaker, he was from NZ, used to hang around with Marty?
eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

great story.. it's all about "The Search".
Tony Wales
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Tony Wales »

Doc Turbo wrote:
Tony Wales wrote:Great report .... potential there.
I think I remember Peter Whittaker, he was from NZ, used to hang around with Marty?
No, Peter was from the Sunshine Coast, Queensland - around the mid 80s Peter was the administrator of Surfing Queensland and was manager of the Queensland team at Aussie titles. Peter and I worked together on the World Grommet Titles in Bali in the late 80s and 90s. Peter went on to be a judge on the ASP WCT and later he was CEO of the ASP. Sadly Peter passed away about 5 years ago from liver disease.

Here's a link below to a photo of two drunks in Tubes Bar in Kuta circa late 80s (maybe early 90s) - Pete is on the left, yours truly on the right. Peter would be known to a lot of guys who attended Aussie Titles over the years.

album_showpage.php?pic_id=12716&user_id=1930
Doc Turbo

West Java

Post by Doc Turbo »

Ross paddled out at one of the local but rather remote breaks. Crowds European beginner from Bulgaria, spain and holland brought the crowds to solid 15 in the water with more on the beach. Ross was forced to sleep in the guard house of the losman, as all the rooms were taken. :(

Howling East Trades, reasonable swell, but rather inconsistent, but some fun waves.
Doc Turbo

West Java Weekend

Post by Doc Turbo »

Surfed down in west java over the last weekend, as it is Indonesian Independence day, 64 years now. I thought I would post some pictures from the new camera Canon D10. Still working out the Gove Strapping system, but should be good to go very soon.

Swell was indicated to be very large, and out of the west, which is normally great for many of the spots. Well the swell was a day late, but I was able to catch many spots on...

Town Point Break, when everything else is oversized
[albumimg]21848[/albumimg] catch it before the tourists can organize transport otherwise surf with the young locals [albumimg]21847[/albumimg]

[albumimg]21845[/albumimg]
Or this spot which has a serious end section, [albumimg]21849[/albumimg]

[albumimg]21850[/albumimg] and the novelty bounce wave between two rocks

or one of the rare waves, point break, only 2 out for 3 hours then 12 out,
[albumimg]21844[/albumimg] its about shoulder to head high for a standup, long rides, but inconsistant, long waits