kavieng

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

mark ricketts
Local (More than 25 post)

kavieng

Post by mark ricketts »

going to kavieng in Feb.
anybody been or got some ideas on the best KB breaks etc?
kevin
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kevin »

I surfed there around 1979. As I recall there's a left breaking into the channel on the northside. Google Earth has good resolution pics of that area and Wannasurf shows a right.

I remember I got a fair amount of reef rash from missing a section and getting sucked over the reef - still got scars on my ass from that. Have a good trip.

Kevin
Shelfbreak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Shelfbreak »

Hi Mark

Booked a week up there in early January with bdwqld. He went last year so he might care to chime in.
Shelfbreak
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Hi Mark,
As Shelfbreak said I was in Kavieng (Nusa Island) in November 2008 and heading back there in January 2010.
I can only talk about Nusa Island, don't know anything about the other two camps.
My son and I surfed at two breaks one was Ral Island, which we surfed there every day. The other was Long Longs. Ral has three take off areas across a coral reef. One was very fast and very hollow, the most popular had an easy take off and long steep walls, where Rhys and I surfed was a little further around on the edge of the reef. Not as consistent, fast hollow take off, long fast wall, finishing in a hollow section that spat you out into the channel. That was a 100 metre ride. The smallest was 3-4 foot , the best day 5-6 foot.
The other break Long Long is a Mal's paradise. I surfed it at about 2-3 foot and could see the potential at about 6 foot plus. Have a look at http://www.nusaislandretreat.com.pg/surfing.htm it has a description of the breaks around the resort. Best of all there are only 6 surfers in the water at one time.
album_showpage.php?pic_id=22423
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
mark ricketts

kavieng

Post by mark ricketts »

sweet - sounds like fun. pity i didn't know you two were going. I could have gone then. can never have enough kneelos in the water!!!

maybe we should catch up when we get back and swap war stories. its an El Nino year so i'm hoping to jag a decent groundswell from the nth pacific but you'd have to be lucky. it looks like an interesting place anyway but a bit of grunt would be a nice bonus.

have a great trip and thanks for the re-assurance.