best board bag for flight travel?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)

best board bag for flight travel?

Post by kidrock »

Looks like the gubment is transferring me to the East Coast for awhile...and I'm not talking Florida. :(

Anyways, I'm bringing my gear with me...and I'm asking you all for your advice on a good travel bag to protect my board during the flight. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
maxb

Post by maxb »

I took 3 Romos to Indo in a Stay Covered coffin bag totally unscathed.
3 flight changes each way. Thanks to Jimputz
Max
kbing newport
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Mark, I have a Stay Covered, two-board coffin bag and have been to AUS and NZ, also with no problems. One board was in a day bag as well which probably helped. Greg Little showed me some cool foam nose and tail "blocks" that Stay Covered makes and I place those on before I pack it which also helps.
Good luck!
capesurf
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by capesurf »

Here is the ultimate board bag. It's inflatable
http://www.airbagdesigns.com/soma.htm

Also check out this YouTube promo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MofSpCrK ... r_embedded
Jimbo

Bag

Post by Jimbo »

Pro Lite day bag with the foam dealios for the tail and nose. Then in the Stay Covered. No problems to Nica nice bag for the money!
randiego

Post by randiego »

my two cents - it depends on the number of boards and the number of hops in the flight. If it's a one-hop flight where the board will be handled twice, a pretty simple setup with a regular board-bag will do (unless you have glassed-on fins).

For flights with more hops and more boards, a padded bag with more protection inside is probably warranted.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

good suggestions here, thanks.

FWIW, one hop with one board...as expected, a 5'8'' quad with LokBox :wink:

I'll go online and look at some of the suggestions, and make the usual uninformed decision :oops:
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I have one of these, it's hard plastic with wheels, holds two kneeboards with fins off. Never damage.

Santa Monica Surfcase
4326 Raynol St
Los Angeles, CA 90032 map
district: Monterey Hills

Tel. (310) 828-4885 :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

While the Surf Case and the inflatable units were pretty cool and very intriguing, I decided to go with the double coffin with wheels. Thanks for everybody's help.

BTW, I'll be doing some exploring between Ocean City and OBX after I get settled in a bit, depending on weather etc. If anybody's interested in showing a transplant the ropes (and a few spots), drop me a PM.

Right now, it looks like I'll be there from Dec to June, unless the gubment says otherwise.
randiego

Post by randiego »

Hey, isn't that better than being in Texas? :P

Indian River Inlet just north of Ocean City in Delaware is a solid spot.
capesurf

Post by capesurf »

kidrock wrote:BTW, I'll be doing some exploring between Ocean City and OBX after I get settled in a bit, depending on weather etc.
Right now, it looks like I'll be there from Dec to June, unless the gubment says otherwise.
If you're going to surf the right coast, the Outer Banks are your best bet for consistency and size, although anywhere has it's days. Winter is windy and water temps run from 45-50 in the winter warming up to 60 in April and 70 by Memorial Day.

Feel free to PM for more info
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Thanks, Capesurf.

I'll be rockin' my 5/4 that I've used in the PacNW...hopefully, it'll do the trick.

I know nothing about the area, but I know OBX is about 5-6 hours from where I'll be.

Probably IRI like Randiego says, maybe some Assateague, probably some OC...probably stay away from Rehoboth :lol:

Just looking for a couple of good bars. Didn't have a clue about Washouts in SC until I stayed in Folly. But I guess that's no secret, either :roll:
randiego

Post by randiego »

kidrock wrote:Just looking for a couple of good bars. Didn't have a clue about Washouts in SC until I stayed in Folly. But I guess that's no secret, either :roll:
Bars? The Starboard in Dewey Beach Delaware is the best spot on the coast, but they probably don't re-open until March.

In Ocean City I would go the Greene Turtle, which is a Maryland thing - there's also one in Fells Point, Baltimore and Laurel Maryland. (Probably a Hooters there in OC somewhere, too - what can you say, it's OC)

In Annapolis there's 300-yr-old Middletons Tavern for oyster shooters.

And, the best crab cakes, by far, in all of Maryland can be had at G&M Crabcakes in Linthicum, near BWI airport.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

randiego wrote:
kidrock wrote:Just looking for a couple of good bars. Didn't have a clue about Washouts in SC until I stayed in Folly. But I guess that's no secret, either :roll:
Bars? The Starboard in Dewey Beach Delaware is the best spot on the coast, but they probably don't re-open until March.

In Ocean City I would go the Greene Turtle, which is a Maryland thing - there's also one in Fells Point, Baltimore and Laurel Maryland. (Probably a Hooters there in OC somewhere, too - what can you say, it's OC)

In Annapolis there's 300-yr-old Middletons Tavern for oyster shooters.

And, the best crab cakes, by far, in all of Maryland can be had at G&M Crabcakes in Linthicum, near BWI airport.

I meant SANDBARS.
:roll:

Gawd, what are you guys in SD smoking? :wink:

But, thanks for the 411 on the drinking establishments, I'll be sure to put the info to good use. 8)
randiego

Post by randiego »

heh heh, not bars.... BARS!
This should go in the idiot thread 8)