Anyone in Christchurch?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

strudle
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Anyone in Christchurch?

Post by strudle »

After nearly 12 years in Japan, I'll be heading home to NZ in January next year. I will be living in Christchurch. I was born and raised in Ash Vegas, so I was a skier, not a surfer til I came to Japan. Parents have a bach in Akaroa, and there looks like some good, but cold waves around Banks Peninsula. Any kneeboard locals?
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

Christchurch! Where the heck is that?

Ah, my daughter tells me it's just north of Dunedin. Hope you got a good thick wettie.

If you dont get any useful replies email MUZZA aka MURRAY WEIR [weirdandm@infogen.net.nz]. Murray should be able to put you onto someone down that way. You're welcome in the Bay of Plenty any time, just cant promise any waves based on the last couple of months.

Also visit the KSNZ website although it hasn't been updated for a while.
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
kiwikripple
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kiwikripple »

Strudie, Ex Tima's lad here! You will find some good surf around banks P with a bit of driving and a few deadends! I must admit to it being a good 20 years
since I poked my nose around that area so I'm sure google earth has cut out the deadends some what! we would usually go south to Kakanui or Duno's but if you want some truly hellacious surf and brass monkey weather just keep driving to the Catlins!!!
The wife & I were visiting family in Timaru for a month there earlier this year and got some good sessions with my bro, cousin and nephew. I always forget how heavy south island waves are and subject myself to some serious beatings for the first few days!!

Have one for me.
Cheers Shaun.
jdavie

Post by jdavie »

did u end up finding any locals , i also grew up in CHCH in Sumner, coming back for a few days at the end of June to visit my cousins and was hoping to find a kneelo i could borrow for a day or two of course ill be happy to pay a little
strudle

Post by strudle »

Sorry, not in Chch. Kapiti Coast last year, but got a new job and a promotion and have been living in Napier since end of January. Haven't surfed here yet. I am so outta shape it isn't funny. Long drive to surf from here.
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

Hey, a mate of mine (James) from Gizzy has a Kneelo friend in Napier. Think he surfs a lot at Awatoto at the river mouth just out of town. You've also got Haumoana and Te Awanga to south and in the right conditions the section by the Port works well so you dont have to drive far.

James is in OZ for couple more weeks but pm me if you like and I'll try and get contact number for you.

Cheers

kneed for speed
James Newby

Post by James Newby »

Hi Strudle
If your still in Napier you could track down Willie Davidson,(Willie Pie Plummbing)he's in the phone book and lives at Westshore.
James Newby

Post by James Newby »

Hi Strudle
Will be getting a few kneeboarders together at some stage for a weekend at Mahia I your interested let me know,We have access to a amazing batch and will have a few old school boards for everyone to try out.
strudle

Post by strudle »

Hi James. I haven't contacted Willie yet. Still on the to do list, have been flat out at new job.
I would definitely be interested in getting away for a weekend. How long does it take to drive from Napier to Mahia?
Better start getting in shape!
James Newby

Strudle

Post by James Newby »

Hi Strudle
It would take about one and a half hours to get to Mahia,I'll be back in NZ from about the 9 of July so it will be some time after that so keep in touch.
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

Hi strudle

Send a PM to either James or myself and we'll keep you informed about trip to Mahia. Looks like July when James is back from Perth next.

Cheers
Howard

kneed for speed
sharkbait
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by sharkbait »

[quote="James Newby"]Hi Strudle
Will be getting a few kneeboarders together at some stage for a weekend at Mahia I your interested let me know,We have access to a amazing batch and will have a few old school boards for everyone to try out.[/quote]

You might see if you can lure Suzie Sowers to that, she's just over in Gisborne and would probably really dig it.
kneelogrl

Post by kneelogrl »

Hi Jonathan. James has told me about this trip already

As for Christchurch kneelos, I am ex Chch myself. I know another one named Greg Thomas. He surfs Magnet Bay on the south side of Banks Penensula, just along from Little River, quite a bit. I haven't checked with him, but if you email me I will give you his email.
Kneel before the mana of Tangaroa.
James Newby

Post by James Newby »

strudle wrote:Hi James. I haven't contacted Willie yet. Still on the to do list, have been flat out at new job.
I would definitely be interested in getting away for a weekend. How long does it take to drive from Napier to Mahia?
Better start getting in shape!
Hi strudle,the weekend at Mahia is on for the weekend of the 13th/15th July so if your interested let me know and I'll let you know the details.
Cheers
James
James Newby

Post by James Newby »

kneelogrl wrote:Hi Jonathan. James has told me about this trip already

As for Christchurch kneelos, I am ex Chch myself. I know another one named Greg Thomas. He surfs Magnet Bay on the south side of Banks Penensula, just along from Little River, quite a bit. I haven't checked with him, but if you email me I will give you his email.
Hi Sue,I'll be back in Gisborne this thursday the 5th and the weekend at Mahia is on for the weekend of the 13th/15th if your still interested i'll get in touch when I'm back in Gisborne.