Brisbane to Tassie Surf Trip

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

fruitbat
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Brisbane to Tassie Surf Trip

Post by fruitbat »

Hi All,
I am taking 3 months off work to do a suf trip from Queensland to Tassie and maybe South Oz,. I have no set itinery. I will have a 4x4 and offroard camper trailer. Any feedback on local caravan parks or National Parks in NSW-VIC-SA-Tassie. Any surf spots that you can advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

Eric
womble

Post by womble »

Fruitbat ... my family and I have spent a great deal of time traversing the coastal fringes of northern NSW ... and also investigated some of the national parks just inland of the coast ... one spot that I would highly recommend visiting is the stretch of coast between Crescent Head and Port Macquarie ... Limeburners Creek Nature Reserve ... the area has some great bush camping ... Point Plomer in particular ... with lots of options for surfing in the district ... Hat Head is another really nice place ... it has both caravan park and bush camping options ... not really a surfing destination as such ... in the Yamba / Maclean area you can take the Brooms Head turn off ... Brooms Head has a caravan park ... but a fantastic little bush setting further along is the Sandon River camping area ... and this does get surf ... an exceptionally pretty place ... Broken Head just south of Byron is a must ... not bush camping but a pleasant caravan park nestled into the headland ... one of my favorite waves ... enjoy.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

Hey mate
I'm actually heading your way tomorrow,But will be back by the 8th
there's a park at northy you could stay at if your journey brings you this way.................and I'm sure the south coast boys will send you in right direction as well

pm me if you need any help

Damo
albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

You know there are no waves down here Eric!
:D :D
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

Womble,DY and Albert thanks for your feedback.
Johnboy Walton
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Johnboy Walton »

if you have a copy copy of Mark Warren's Australian Surfing Atlas that should see you right for waves, although it doesn't capture all the good spots.
on the south coast, if you can't get waves between Jervis Bay and South Durras you will be very unlucky. from Bateman Bay down to Mallacoota its mix of beachies, B-grade points and assorted lake/river mouths - keep popping into the coast - here some of what you might find:
album_showpage.php?pic_id=21412&user_id=1440
album_showpage.php?pic_id=14908&user_id=1440

in terms of camping, these links will have you camped in front of or close to some good waves:
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... x?id=N0025
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... x?id=N0021

Johnny
danny shilling
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by danny shilling »

The friendly beaches in Tas,between Bicheno and Coles Bay.Fond memories
of living near there in 1996.
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

every beach south of the gold coast is great on its day cresent head is allways a favorite stop then stay close point plumber is great the road ( track ) is definetly 4wd drop into scott dillons surf musium north of coffs . . coledale beach caravan park near stanwell park puts you near headys right & sandon pt. kiama area can provide fun mystics .the farm .7 mile beach caravan park . green patch south east of nowra puts you near to the whitest sand & a well known spot . ulladulla all good definetly getting into the power zone. pebbly beach great spot .these are all my favorites but definetly get the mark warren book mine has served me well for 25 yrs
follow the swell & get good maps
scott
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Fruity, Evans head has a great river mouth break on a 5-6' S/E swell good with sthl'y winds good camp ground a bit further sth is Woody head [great camp ground]/ Iluka
Pitching nth wall break, Frasers reef, also nth up the beach [need 4x4] from woody is black rocks sic on a med. sth swell with n/w wind no crowds and good fishing as the pics show. Try back beach emerald head 20min this side coffs for the best nthl'y protected beachies along that stretch this place pumps do not drive past if there's swell and nth wind it's like pt lookout strady [the coffs comp should be up there instead of in town] Sawtell gets good Nambucca hds worth a look Hat head as mentioned has a great back beach[ hungry head] in nthl's, also a good cove break around front of hat head, bit of a walk. That'll get you started Have a great trip wish i was going. AB

album_showpage.php?pic_id=4079&user_id=471

album_thumbnail.php?pic_id=4082
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

G`day Eric, i always stop at Yamba these days, variety of beaches for different conditions. Laid back caravan park a few k`s out of town(the first one you come to).
Extremely envious, enjoy the trip.
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

Thanks all you guys. All info is great.There is nothing better than first hand knowledge. Keep the info coming.

Many Thanks

Eric The Fruit-Bat
szrbloke

Post by szrbloke »

Wanderer has the road got worse to Point Plomer? In 1987 my Toyota Corona 78 Wagon handled it ok. :) We slept in a crappy K-Mart Tent we bought for 25 bucks, 2 minute noodles and frankfurts, farts that measured on the richter scale...ah great days. - never got a good surf there, but Grassy Head was good for us and I wanted to spend my whole life there at one stage.
all the best,

Scotty
Kev

Re: Brisbane to Tassie Surf Trip

Post by Kev »

fruitbat wrote:... I am taking 3 months off work to do a surf trip from Queensland to Tassie and maybe South Oz,....
when ?
I too am looking into doing something like this
can't do the 4x4 bit
but am looking at a getting a tow bar for my van and then an aluminium trailer (light weight)
then build a camp-kitchen on the trailer
8)
yeah I know - it's just a though for now

the point is, I'd love to do a trip like this

good luck fruitbat and keep us posted
when in VIC, Wilson's Prom is a great place for a walk and you might find a wave
red

Post by red »

1 hour north of Newcastle. Stay at Treachery Caravan park or the rustic one in the NP near by. Explore. Find great waves.

Honeymoon Bay at Jervis Bay (a little piece of the ACT!) - rustic camping and waves 30 minutes walk away. Great fishing.

Just north of Merimbula - Boundra NP - great camping on a lake near surf breaks.

Merimula has styling van parks when you need power, hot water, etc. The one on the hill overlooking the beach is great.

Saltwater on NSW south coast (Ben Boyn National Park) has rustic camping and epic waves in a big south swell

Mallacoota is a good place. Intermittent waves at Tip beach. Caught 6 flatheads in the estuary 01/01/10.

Croajingalong National Park has the best remote rustic camping. You can get waves sometimes at Point Hicks, but Wingan is worth a visit too.

You can get lucky and get waves at Cape Conran and Lake Tyers (watch swell reports). Both have good camping set ups.

Wilsons Prom gets waves and has fancy (CROWDED MOST DAYS) camping.

Bruney Island in Tas - can drive the beach to a remote bush camp down the beach. Lots of waves a short drive away.

If the wind is howling SW when the ferry docks at Devonport and there is swell, get a quick wave in the bay, then head east to Tam O Shanter. I camped on the rocky headland in front of the break.

The entire east coast of Tassie is free camping heaven at the surf breaks (if there's swell). Good fishing if no swell.

The west coast of Tassie is hard work - one tide a day (high at night) and howling winds, but there are pockets worth exploring (hell, you could do 3 months in Tassie alone!). Check out the pub at Murrawah for photos and gossip. Camping near Murrawah beach.

Regards
Red

PS NSW national parks expensive ($7 vehicle per day, $10 per person camping.
ACT parks (Honeymoon bay) $10 per day per person
VIC NPs reasonable - $18 per site per day
womble

Post by womble »

red wrote: NSW national parks expensive $7 vehicle per day, $10 per person camping.
Fruitbat ... worth investing in a vehicle pass for NSW National Parks ... a good investment ... different options available ... just pop into a NSW National Parks office ... and while you're there grab some of their pamphlets and maps.

Are we there yet ... are we there yet ... are we there yet ... I'm bored ... are we there yet.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.