fiji?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

farbz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

fiji?

Post by farbz »

I finally get to rub it in a bit here....

I am going to Fiji in April ( april 1st for 10 days )
Going with my whole family ...kids ...grandparents the lot.
We are staying at the Fijian shangri la for the first 5 days and then just me and the my family at PLantaion island

anyone know about surfing from the fijian???
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

G`day Farbz, if my memory is right there are some really good reefs not far from Plantation.
Don`t know if boats take you surfing from there but you can island hop to where they leave from.
Went 4 years ago, surfed Wilkes 3ft then 10-12ft the next day.
Found it hard to get surf reports from the resorts, laptop with wireless internet would be handy.
scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

Hi Farbs
There is surf out front of the resort but can't comment on it and there is a harbour in the vicinity so you get reef edges. Just down the road a bit is Sigatoka river mouth which also is surfable or even further south is Hidaways which is a better known surf spot.
Once you get to Plantation there is a local (John) who picks up the surfers and takes them out to the break in his boat for about $30 but probably more now as its been a while since I was last there
You should get some great waves at Wilkes Passage directly opposite Nomotu Island
here is a link to an earlier post... viewtopic.php?t=134&highlight=
cheers Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
farbz

Post by farbz »

cheers tony.

yeah I have PLantation all sorted..Phil and Keg went there last year and have pretty much got me up to speed on the the dude who does the boat trips.

I want to get out to Frigates Pass which is somewhere out to sea off the coral coast where the Fijian is..near an island called Beqa.

onya
Farbz.
ross

Post by ross »

Hey Farbz,
you could head straight down to Pacific Harbour and jag a boat out to Yanuca (pronounced Yanuthra) I've stayed out there a couple of times in the old feral camp under lean-to shelters :lol: Yanuca is the closest island to Frigates, about 7kms from the wave.

There was a surf camp(affiliated with the Surf Travel Company) further to the east of the Hideaway resort that was running guys out to Frigates.

Last time I went though a Kiwi guy was starting up a more upscale set up on Yanuca and I have heard, they have since gained a "Tavarua" style grip on Frigates.Without the Saturday change-over pass they have at Cloudbreak.

Im also pretty sure that you'll only be allowed to surf Wilkes passage from Plantation. They make out Namoto is on the menu, but its not.Hopefully for you that has changed.
If your gonna surf Cloudbreak on an open day or Wilkes for that matter I'd take (an early) quick run to the top of the big peak behind the resort at plantation where you'll be able to see it before leaving. That way you can gauge whether or not its worth laying down the cash to surf.
:wink:
farbz

Post by farbz »

Cheers Ross..

I think I will do a bit of investigating when I get there re Frigates.
There is a joint working from the coral coast called matanivusi http://www.surfingfiji.com/index.html that go there.
Maybe they do trips for non guests.

It could be more hassle than it's worth though....from memory travelling about 50 km's takes about 9.5 hrs over there.

Plantation is purely for me to go surfing , I have 2 very young kids so it is impossible for me to do the surf camp trip.

...and there is no chance I will be checking the surf before I get on that boat to Wilkes..what if it is flat???
I'd have to stay with the missus and kids all morning. :D
I am going to do a keg and take some beers for the boat trip each day.
scoop

Post by scoop »

I'm thinking you only go when Johnny is ready to take you though usually in the morning .... If you can see white stuff throwing up on the horizon from Plantation (you need to walk up to the point) then surf is up .... but sometimes the little stuff is ok (I have surfed Wilkes when it is almost breaking right across to Nomotu) ... was huge
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
capnfletch
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Re: fiji?

Post by capnfletch »

farbz wrote:I finally get to rub it in a bit here....

I am going to Fiji in April ( april 1st for 10 days )
Going with my whole family ...kids ...grandparents the lot.
We are staying at the Fijian shangri la for the first 5 days and then just me and the my family at PLantaion island

anyone know about surfing from the fijian???
Dude theres a hell left at the little reef entrance at hideaway resort about 15 -20 minutes from the shangrila resort it needs an hour eachside of mid tide super thick and super quick can be a bit intimidating at first but when its on its on... and rarely more than 5-6 guys otherwise you will have to try the rivermouth at sigatoka P
the ghost who staggers
capnfletch

Post by capnfletch »

ross wrote:Hey Farbz,
you could head straight down to Pacific Harbour and jag a boat out to Yanuca (pronounced Yanuthra) I've stayed out there a couple of times in the old feral camp under lean-to shelters :lol: Yanuca is the closest island to Frigates, about 7kms from the wave.

There was a surf camp(affiliated with the Surf Travel Company) further to the east of the Hideaway resort that was running guys out to Frigates.

Last time I went though a Kiwi guy was starting up a more upscale set up on Yanuca and I have heard, they have since gained a "Tavarua" style grip on Frigates.Without the Saturday change-over pass they have at Cloudbreak.

Im also pretty sure that you'll only be allowed to surf Wilkes passage from Plantation. They make out Namoto is on the menu, but its not.Hopefully for you that has changed.
If your gonna surf Cloudbreak on an open day or Wilkes for that matter I'd take (an early) quick run to the top of the big peak behind the resort at plantation where you'll be able to see it before leaving. That way you can gauge whether or not its worth laying down the cash to surf.
:wink:
Frigates.... if you miss frigates when its on youll never forgive yourself, i have a house over there and lived there for 11 years, there is NO tavarua type setup happening at Frigates you are free to surf there anytime you want, brian and Donna McDonald run an upscale eco resort at Matanavusi and is family and Kid friendly, so you should check it out whilst your there it is very Cool and youll stay there next time, Dan Thorn at Batiluva resort will also take you to Frigates out of Pac Harbour, travelling time from Nadi to Pac Harbour is 2.5 hours in a taxi to matanavusi 2 hours cheers fletch
the ghost who staggers