Mexico???

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Troz and Chayno
Local (More than 25 post)

Mexico???

Post by Troz and Chayno »

Hey crew

We're planning on heading to Mex this year. I figure you guys in the US would have a pretty good idea on where and when to go and how to get there.

Ive got no idea about what the place is like other than stuff ive seen in surf movies. Ive probably got a month to spend there... Is that enough?
Where do we fly to? Where do we stay? Where do we surf? Endless questions, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yeeoow!

Chayne
ross
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ross »

Hey Chayne,
I was in Puerto Escondido about 2 months ago. If thats where you are headed, start swimming some laps mate!!My info is based on this area.
I was so humbled by that place, the size of the waves, the width of the pits and how hard some guys will charge.Biggest angriest barrels/beatings and duckdives of my life. One set I got caught inside by, had me involuntarily whimpering for my mummy as it blackened out the horizon. Seriously.

I don't know what she was gonna do, she can barely swim.

2 weeks would just see you getting used to the Juice, the longer the better timewise of course. Everyones different, but i spent the whole time shitting myself.(from fear that is.not dodgy food).

You'll fly Mexicana airlines from LAX. Direct flights to Puerto(PXM) are possible but way more expensive. A stop in Mexico city is the alternative. You'll pay $60 USD for each board, each way which hurts. I told em I had bodyboards (which also hurts)when I left LAX and avoided the charge. (thanks Bill L for the warning). They actually checked em coming back so I got stung.

I stayed at Aqua Luna hotel, a little up the hill away from the main eateries and accommodations. Now I was there with my insanely hot wife so I barely noticed the insanely hot ladies lounging around the hotel pool all day. So if thats your thing you'll be impressed. They got a website, google it if you want.

cool place, I'll go again and be a little more prepared, fitness and board wise.

Have fun!!
Bill F
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bill F »

Never been there but, friends have been going there since early seventies.All, but the best, have stories like ross's. My friend witnessed Simon there and said, ..."He was paddling up the face of solid ten ft. waves and spinning around dropping in the tube on takeoff ,etc, etc, etc, etc," --Ask Simon.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Prepare for a 10-page response!

Sounds like we need to 'package' those responses... starting with which month.

NWs in the Winter light up spots in the colder North, with most of the classic warm water breaks light up with the Souths.

There's overlap months... and a few overlap regions (NW and SW exposed)

Ross' pretty well sums up one option... :shock:
stonefish

mex hex

Post by stonefish »

another good easy safe trip down to the mainland is to fly to puerto vallarta and bus up to san pancho. check in with Alonso ,the owner of san pancho surf shop. he has the transport on land and sea with the range of surf from rancho de las olas south of cabo corrientes north to san blas. get great surf of any kind at many spots. most places can be super fun without the drubbing.
bueno suerte!
geo

Post by geo »

Ross hits it spot on with Puerto

there are secrets both north & south :D

been there at different times of year neaver skunked
Last edited by geo on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

I concur with Gerorge and Ross hits the nail right on the head! The whole area gets very good surf. Some physical stuff! I have gotten skunked a couple of times over the years, but most of the times it's been awesome. :D
Scott

Post by Scott »

Ross, that was a classic post!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Oh guys, I think Gavin's been there too, Ask him some ?. And talk to Frencho on this site, he's been there lots of times! You'll have some fun if you go.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

lots of fun and variable (point, reef, bb) surf to be had north of PV in the Punta de Mita area and breaks consistent during winter swells. But if you're looking for more challenging surf, head south to Oaxaca...IIRC, most Oaxacan spots turn on during south swells though (due to the coast's south-facing nature).
AM_Glass

Post by AM_Glass »

Here's one vote for Puerto Escondido in the off season. My friend went years ago during the peak season and got "skunked" by massive waves and two broken boards. I went in the "off" season and got 4-8' over a few days and had fun. Not classic Puerto, but I got waves without the fear of death. Still exciting at that size.
It could be worse, I could be in Oakla-homa.
BillL

Post by BillL »

You can't go wrong if you've got a month in our summer months. Base yourself at Puerto and then you can hit the points north and south.Talk to Geo, he has it dialed. I scored last summer on a week's trip and will be back this summer.PM me with your dates. There is also a left point break and a semi secret beachbreak farther north that gets epic too,enough said... :)
I just got back from Punta Mita over Christmas, fun, long, amusing waves with few people. I stayed at Greg Warick's condo which was beautiful with ocean views at a great location. Great place to bring your gal.
Hoppo

Post by Hoppo »

Salina Cruz, right hand sand points. Hire a driver with a 4X. Off season (fall), no crowds and still fun size waves, 3-6 ft.
randiego

Post by randiego »

Fookin' Ozzies! Always a month off here, a month off there... :D :D
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

The only thing Ross left out about Puerto is the sharks. Bill L gave you some good advice. nuff said. Bring a topo and check the swells, you will get more than you need.
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi