South Africa trip in Sept / Oct...

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Don
Admin

South Africa trip in Sept / Oct...

Post by Don »

I'm looking for some advice on a trip to SA for my wife and I. Sept / Oct is what is on the books right now.
  • What surf spots are recommended between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth?

What will Jeffery's be like this time of year?

Any one got accommodation at Jeffery's we can rent?

Any accommodation "must stays" along the coast?
Trip will be 2 weeks in all... with 4 days in Kruger or some other game park. This leaves 10 days for the Cape Town / Port E leg.

Thanks!
Don Harris
red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

Surf spots:

The Doctor will probably be in Cape Town at that time. It's a SE wind that howls for days on end. Yet you can get waves if you're on top of the conditions (and know where to go on the day). Call Karl Ebel at Surf Centre in the city. He is a top bloke and great kneeboarder .
Good KS waves are:
1. Derde Steen (1/2 hr NW, handles it bigger than you want to paddle out - offshore in NE) - have to get local directions, since it's probably still a dirt parking lot on the side of the road.
2. Horse Trails as above
3. Glen Beach. Over the mountain 20min from the city. Used to surf here lunchtimes. Handles howling SE (mountain blocks wind, if direction is right). Pretty local so don't hassle or drop in.
4. Kalk Bay in False Bay is actually offshore when it howls SE (wnd bounces off the surrounding hills). Find the Bras Bell pub and you will see the break.
5. There are a few others a bit out of town at Noordhoek (Dunes), Long Beach, Kommetjie, Crayfish factory (heavy stuff), and in the reserve. Some of the most beautiful surf spots anywhere. There are waves at Betties Bay on the other side of False Bay.

Elands Bay is 2-4 hours up the west coast, actually in the wrong direction for your trip to PE. But if the swell gets up then it's worth the effort. Heaven is nearby.

Take the trip through Franschoek and over Cats Pad, a scenic drive through vinyards and mountains. Rejoin the highway to PE a bit further N. It will take a bit longer than the direct highway route. I think it's better than the alternate scenic route through Betties Bay. Depends whether you like mountain scenes or seaside scenes.

There is a big piece of coast between Cape Town and George that I used to miss out most times. It's a long way from the highway south to the coast, you need to know the conditions and the area is very sharky as it's the southernmost tip of Africa.

On the way visit a Nature Park just outside Swellendam after picking up a picnic in scenic Swellendam. Cool place to see antelope and big tortoises in a more natural environment than many (the park - not Swellendam).

Vic Bay near George is a classic spot to camp and it nearly always has waves (every trip for me). It's a tiny bay with campsites on the hill overlooking the bay. There are a few houses for rent, right on the promenade (only 14 houses in the place), and a B and B at the very end (50 m from jump-off spot). Vic Bay gets crowded on the weekend, since it's the local beach for a big town inland (George). I recommend an overnight here - it's about 5-7 hours from CT (you can drive fast in SA - 120-160 km/h - and people will still overtake like you're standing still)

Wilderness is around the corner from Vic Bay. Sometimes gets good, but really just open beachies. You may get local info about breaks in the area, but beware of leaving the car unattended.

If you have time, take the drive over the pass from George and into the Ceres valley. You can connect through to the main road up the coast.

Mossel Bay is next. Many of the Great White movies are shot here, but there are epic breaks, if you have the go. (I never have)

Take a trip down to Seal Point when you get to Hermanus. It takes about an hour, but Seals is quite consistent. I used to travel here when J Bay was flat. there is also Oyster Bay, which always has swell (faces directly S), but that's a bit off the road.

If you feel lucky, take a side trip to Cape St Francis and you may get Bruce's Beauties. Bit late in the season (best time is May to Aug). There is a consistent wave called Huletts at Cape St F. Works in SW type winds.

You can take a short cut from Seal Point to Jeffries. It's a dirt road that takes about an hour and cuts off about an hour. The T/O is about 1/2 way back to Hermanus. May be signposted as Aston Bay (I just used to turn at that funny-shaped bush, so i don't remember signage details)

Aston Bay has a good left.
Jeffries can be good at this time of year, but will usually blow out by midday.
Don't miss out on surfing the Point, especially if it gets a bit onshore. It can be fun.
Say "Hi from KS Red from Happy Wanderers" to Derek Hynde, if you see him (he owns that "ruined castle" house at Impossibles).
There is a (but insecure) nice campground right on the beach, so you can leave the lady in bed and walk 1/2km to Supers.
There are a few places to rent overlooking the main breaks. Shouldn't be tooo busy that time of year.

Give up surfing after J Bay. PE is an hour away.

But, if you get to East London - then there are some good waves - Nahoon, Yellowsands...
Cripple Crusader
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Cripple Crusader »

Red, you've got a lot of time on your hands!!!! All good advise though!!!
One correction - Surf Centre is now Surf Zone and was bought by Gigs Cilliers (you kneelos should know who he is!!!) about a year or so ago, but Karl is still there as well.

Don, for all (well most of) the surf spots along the coast have a read around this site:
www.wavescape.co.za
this also has the best surf report you will find for SA (and is always, yes always spot on). Know that Spike (the guy who runs the site) used to do a custom forecast that you could buy which would detail any section of the coast you wanted (down to spots that you asked him for). There is also a bit of info on travel etc and some good galleries,etc.
Happy researching.
On your knees, if you please
Duane Bosch
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Duane Bosch »

Hey Red.

I think you are talking about Humansdorp, not Hermanus.

Don.

If you do come to Cape Town I can hook you up with cheap good, on the beach accomodation.

I can also show you some of the better surf spots in CT and up the West Coast.

You will need a wetsuit for Cape Town but the South and East coast are pretty warm at that time of year.

I have to warn you that your timing for J-Bay is not all that great but there are loads of great surfspots in SA.

There are some really great spots up the West Coast. Some of them are semi secret and good fun.

Last week Gigs and I had great Elands bay with about 5 other guys out. It's a rock bottom pointbreak that runs for about 300m. A guy caught Gigs on a wave where he got tubed and bust about 8 turns.

Real fun.

S.A. is real cheap so expect to do some shopping. A new Lost kneeboard is about R2900.00.

I think that is about $450.00

Oh and www.wavescape.co.za really is a great website with info on all the popular breaks and a surf report with forecast which is pretty accurate.
Duane Bosch

Post by Duane Bosch »

Check these web sites for accomodation. The www.sleeping-out.co.za website has listings for pretty much everywhere in S.A.

If you do the Cape Town to P.E. stretch you should stay at the lands end guest house at Victoria Bay. The guest house is literally 20m from the jump off for Vic Bay which is one of the best waves between Cape Town & Jeffreys.

Victoria Bay

http://www.jordanstallard.com/vicbay/views.htm

Kommetjie
http://www.sleeping-out.co.za/member_de ... berID=1147
http://www.sleeping-out.co.za/member_de ... mberID=300

Scarborough
http://www.sleeping-out.co.za/member_de ... mberID=202
http://www.sleeping-out.co.za/member_de ... mberID=479

J-bay

http://www.jbaytv.co.za/jbt/index.asp
Duane Bosch

Post by Duane Bosch »

Hey Red.

They've tarred the road to Elands (I've been waiting 15 years to say that)
Cripple Crusader

Ah, Elands.... Cold water J-Bay in reverse!!

Cripple Crusader

there is a live webcam for Vic Bay now too:
www.midafricam.co.za/2/
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

AWESOME!

This trip will mean I can't make the World Titles in Tahiti this year, but after attending the past couple I owe my wife a trip and she chose SA... guess it could have been worse ;-)

I'm doing my homework and the links and advice below are extremely helpful... whoever created this site should get a gold star... HAH!

I'd love to hook up with a few other kneelo's when we head over. I'll be contacting you soon... keep up the good info!

Based on the info below sounds like if I miss J-Bay there will be plenty of other spots worth while... I wear a hooded 5/3 wetsuit all year here so cold water is not a problem!

Cheers to all!

Don
Don Harris
red

Post by red »

Thanks Duane, Marc for corrections. Now if someone could set me right on the north of Portugal over Easter...
Duane best regards to all the blokes down there - but i will have an Aussie flag proudly on my board at the worlds. Oi oi oi
Duane Bosch

Post by Duane Bosch »

Red

I've seen pics of you posing in old issues of ZigZag for Larmont. You're a SAFA and don't forget it.

Still feel bad about bumping your car at Vic.

Well maybe not now that you are an Aussie. I bet you have one of those crap hats with the corks hanging on string.

What is that all about anyway??
red

Post by red »

Duane,
The trick with the hat is..you've got to wrap your tongue around the corks. Then you hang out in bars doing your party trick waiting to be invited home.
You should try it some time.
Trouble is you've got to sort out the horny invites from the ones that just want you to clean the kitchen of flies,

I'd forgotten about the car. You sorted it anyway, so no worries.
farbz

Post by farbz »

How this for a story about the surf centre in cape town.
I was there in 98 and just bought a new kneelo from the centre. I was walking down the road with it under my arm . A bloke in a pickup truck pulls up and asks if I need a lift...ok I say . I get in and after a bit of small talk e.g where you from etc etc. He says is that a kneelo , yeah I said and he goes I'm a kneelo as well!!
Then it gets a bit weird when he says to me "do you know Kenny Stapleton"? I start laughing and say yes very well sir. Ends up Kenny and his boys stayed with this guy ( John Walker)in 94 and John stayed with Kenny later on.
Bloody Stapo hey!
I can't Shake him , I will see him tomorrow for our annual liver bashing retro comp down the south coast.
Farbz.