Bali 5 days

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

farbz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Bali 5 days

Post by farbz »

the missus just got home and told me we are going to Bali with her friends next year around this time.

Than she said one of the other guys and I can go for 5 days before they get there.

just about creaming my undies at the moment.

give me some good ideas for surf in that 5 day window.

boat ..camp .. ...hookers ..anything goes :lol:
Bud
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Bud »

G-LAND
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

nuf said
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
farbz

Post by farbz »

cometh the man ..cometh the hour.

G-land.
Paul
Local (More than 25 post)

bali suggestions

Post by Paul »

Buddy's suggestions is a good one, but five days is a pretty narrow window to gamble on booking G-land in advance. Unless you take the fast boat both ways, it's an overnight trip there and a day long trip back, cutting your surf time to 3 full days, max. The fast boat, at US$250 round trip, adds almost 50% onto your package. Bummer, I know.

I would suggest (for this time of year, next year) that you park yourself out on the bukit close to Ulus. There are many accomodations out there, varying from $10-$200 a night out there. If there's a swell, then Ulus/Secrets/Padang/Impossibles/Bingin/Balangan are only one or two notches below G-land. If there's no swell, then you haven't bet the wad and lost. If the sky is the limit then get yourself over to Mecca (G-land!)!

Steve Artis (stevea) is the man you want to contact for everything kneelo in Bali. If you can charm that legend with a whole bunch of Bintangs he has the dirt and the memory to keep you entertained for hours. He's back in your home town right now, so Cooper's might be the call.

I'll most likely be back in Bali next year at this time of year, as I am now. I've got boards in the KSUSA board bank, but from Oz it shouldn't be a problem to bring your own. Keep me in mind, though, if I can help.
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

Adam,

It won't be a pleasant but, beg to get an additional 2 days, it will make the G-land trip. Otherwise, as suggested above, stay out Ulu's or Padang and grab a Motobike.

To be on the ground for 5 days and losing two days due to travel, more so if the swell isn't there.

cya at the comp.
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
albert

Post by albert »

Having only been there twice I really cant call myself an expert on the place, but I do have some advice for you on this.
1. Dont plan anything, dont book anything in advance! The fact is that these days Bali is so easy to get to other places, booking it is a waste of time and money. Get there, go into an internet cafe, check the forecasts, then make the decision.

2. Dont go to G-land expecting to get all time Speedies, it rarely ever happens and if it does, half the surfing population in Bali will join you. Last time I went there Speedies was almost perfect and there were close to 100 people out, with another 50 at launching pads.

3. If the winds are wrong, the whole place is going to be bad. Unfortunately, there isnt much to do in G-land if the surf isnt cooperating. If you stay at Bobbys camp they will put on movies for you all day and you can lay on a lounge in air con.

4. If its gonna be big, be prepared! If you havent been there before, chances are you are not going to try to take on 10-12ft moneytrees on your first day. Be realistic in your expectations of what you are willing to take on. Its not the ideal dry hair paddle out most people imagine. Getting in and out can be very tricky. Especially getting out if you miss the keyhole usually means you have at least another 20 minutes of straight non-stop paddling to get to where you want to be.

5. There are other places to surf, its just they arent all that great. Chickens, 20/20s, tiger trails, etc. are all fun waves on their day just dont expect them to be perfect square slabbing barrels

I should take a more upbeat tone with the rest of this post...
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

6. If its flat in Bali, its 2-3ft at G-land. If you are sitting at Ulus watching 200+ people fighting over 1-2 ft racetracks, I would say go to G-land immediately. Not a lot of people think of going to G-land when its small, when in my opinion its the best time to go. I surfed Kongs for three days straight on my last trip, 8hrs a day and had an absolute ball, never had to hassle during that time and got more than my fill of waves. Meanwhile Ulus was small and crowded and there were few alternatives in Bali other than the bingtang mayhem that usually ensues.

7. The help at the camps are very poor people, but they have plenty of surf wax, boardies, and sh!t t-shirts to keep them covered. Bring them something they cant easily get their hands on. The last time I went I took them guitar strings, picks and a tuner, the looks on their faces were priceless. And they were more than grateful, they took very good care of me.

Like I said, I am not an expert, but over the two trips I have taken there I have realised a few things about what works and what doesnt in terms of going there.
crippler

Post by crippler »

KEREMAS SANUR EARLY MORNING LESS CROWDS BETTER WAVES PADANG PADANG OR WHOLE PENINSULA IN THE ARVO WITH ALL AND I MEAN ALL THE TRAVELLING SURFERS IN THE UNIVERSE,THEN STRAIGHT TO SKY GARDEN OR THE BOUNTY TO LET RIP!!!!! WATCH OUT FOR THE PRETTY LADIES WITH ADAMS APPLES HA HA RIP IT UP DUDE.
PS IF CROWDS ARE GETTING YOU DOWN GO WEST PAST TABANAN AND SEARCH GREAT WAVES NO PEOPLE AT ALL BE PREPARED TO WALK!!!!!! HAVE FUN MAN
farbz

Post by farbz »

ok through much negotation and plying of alcohols during premeditated weak moments over christmas, I have managed to squeeze an extra 2 days out of the missus.

So my mate and I now have 7 days to run amok.

He is keen to get to scar reef....and not so hot on G-land .
he has been before and said it was great ...plus a few good options close by.
I just want to go surfing during the day and have a beer afterwards.

We can get on a boat charter in Bali and do lembongan , Lombok and Sumbawa but none that I can find will get us back to Bali by 12th July.
Which is non negtiable.

I am open to staying at Scar reef if there is any accom.

anyone know of any accom or flexible boat charters .

I like the idea of the boat ...the whole jumping on and off in Bali suits me.

so ???
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Great Call, Bud.

Brilliant analysis Albert. Been there three times... best trip of my life (1st time) worst trip ever (sorta big and weird and cold and foggy... dislocated my knee 2nd day) and super fun trip (medium size Kongs... not epic, better than any wave in Bali. 8) )
Doc Turbo

Post by Doc Turbo »

Revised, as I carefully read the date of your first post, you will be here in mid July.

Do scar reef, and if the swell is really up, go to Super Sucks

Good luck and enjoy your trip...
Last edited by Doc Turbo on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by albert »

Im pretty sure those boat charters are timed around the tides, no sense in going to some of these places if all you are going to see is a dry slab of reef with no waves. :?
farbz

Post by farbz »

albert wrote:Im pretty sure those boat charters are timed around the tides, no sense in going to some of these places if all you are going to see is a dry slab of reef with no waves. :?
the boats go the same time we are there but they don't get back until a day or two after we have to be in Bali.
We have another 10 days in Bali to surf there as well.

So more than likely we will be surfing the same spots exactly the same time as about 40,000.00 blokes off the surf charters.
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

Farbz,

I expect to see some hardcore photo's of your trip to Indo, with very tall tales on your conquest of Killer surf at the first comp!! :twisted:

Have a great trip buddy, see ya at the first comp, just make sure Mash is in your heat and not judging!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
tomway

Post by tomway »

Hi Farbz

I would still go to g-land over scars although scars is as way out there on the scale of epicness as anywhere else I've been.

In my experience scars faces a funny angle and gets the wind. Early mornings and evenings are the go there but you often have to sit out most of the day. If the swells big you could get round to supersuck but everyman and his dog has been on that the last few years.

At scars you have the main reef and a short peak they call little-bingin and a few bombies (mainly rights) down the beach, but frankly there aren't many options. It DOES get crowds too, especially if all the boats are trying to surf before the wind gets up.

As Albert says you can still have a lot of fun at g-land surfing the 'other' waves even if moneys and speedies are crowded. If it's small you won't surf much at scars, but kongs will still be fun. And if you get moneys and speedies on and linking without too many people, you could get the best wave of your whole life.

If I had 7 days only, I'd do g-land. 15 days, probably scars, supesuck, yo-yos (by land). A month - both (or desert point, or panaitan or....) :D