tonga, samoa

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

shane23579
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

tonga, samoa

Post by shane23579 »

lookin at doin a trip to tonga and samoa, anyone been to either??? is it worth it and how consistant was it??? :?: :?: :?: :?:
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

shane samoa like anywhere in the pacific can be hit and miss
check some sites like sa'moana their sites usually have best seasons,
http://www.samoanaresort.com/
in tonga try Ha'afatu
http://www.surfingtonga.com/
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
mark ricketts
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

samoa

Post by mark ricketts »

shane - I lived in samoa for 3 years - awesome surf. this is the season to go as samoana has pretty much the run of it. the tsunami knocked out the competitors so no boat loads of competing frothers at boulders - its nice to be able to pick your waves when it gets solid - not sure if keith's place at aganoa on savaii is back up but they don't cross over with samoana anyway.

the season is for another couple of months. samoana is very comfortable and, if there is any surf, they'll get you on it and they are sensitive to your skills and desires.

its hard to do yourself in short visit unless you have some local knowledge and you'd need a car - not cheap. only a couple of the breaks are paddle outs - the rest need a boat. its nice to hit the boat when you are faced with a marathon paddle against an out-going tide as the water drops. try to book for when there is high tide in the morning so you get surf with less wind but it isn't sritical if you are there for a week - you pays your money and then hope for a swel event. same as anywhere.

summer has some great surf cause the wind drops but the swell is much less consistent - sort of like summer in indo I guess.

i've heard mixed reports about tonga but haven't stayed there.