Kauai visit Jan 2011

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Kauai visit Jan 2011

Post by red »

Turns out I might get to Kauai first week of Jan 2011.
I'm going for a conference that is at the Hyatt on the South side near Poipu Beach Park, but I'm hoping to sneak a couple of days for sightseeing and a splash.

Shipwrecks is the closest wave to the Hyatt and it is allegedly consistent. Is it likely to have waves in winter? What are the dangers apart from locals, sharks and razor sharp reef? Is it manageable for a quick session (before work or at lunch, say)?

Any other pointers about where to stay if I visit north side and pointers to manageable waves? I don't count tow-in Hanalei amoung these!

Other tips about air routes, car rentals, road routes, etc. gratefully appreciated.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Being on the South East side of the island Ship Wrecks catches a lot of trade wind generated chop / swell. If there's a Southerly swell running it mixes with the trade wind mess and can be hectic. January isn't famous for South swell action. Anything can happen being out here in the middle of the Pacific though. :wink: There are other very close by South Shore spots to sample.
Easily accessed from your lodging and can be enjoyed with time to get to back your conference.
If you have half a day then you might head to the West side. Some fun beaches there. If you got all day then head to the North Shore.
I think you'd really enjoy Hanalei Bay, it's stunning. Certainly one of the most beautiful places on the planet. There's even a couple places to surf in the bay. Nice waves at any size. Likely surf will be UP in January. Have a wonderful time, explore and enjoy.

Here's a look at Shipwrecks ...... Pick one.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... recks&aq=f

Here's a look at Hanalei...... No board is ever too long there.
I enjoyed some of the best waves of my life there way back in 1968 then again in 1973 and for several years after until 1985 my last time surfing it. Now it is very very popular.
This is a lovely time lapse of the sunrising at Hanalei Bay.
Truly gives you the REAL Hawaiian feeling complete with Hawaiian style music. Pour yourself a Maitai, kick back and GROOOOOOOOVE !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMjBYtJtl8g
This one shows a bit of surf.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA05XIX7Yh0
red

Post by red »

Hey Bud,
Nice to hear from you.
Thanks for the info.

I remember surfing with your neighbour and his friend from Kauai behind your place the day after the 2005 gathering, after everyone had left. The waves were really good and I hooked a rare open and long right hand barrel to which the friend commented, "Just like we get in Hanalei Bay."

Now if Mike will chip in with fishing rigs to carry..
Will 20lb leader with 10lb braid on a 7' collapsable with soft plastics catch me a feed or justy snap me off on the coral?
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

hey Red,
Jan is a great time to be in the Islands! Kauai in particular. Hanalei is such a fun wave but was over run with long boarders suffering from all-timers disease. they all hang on the inside bowl and will not think twice about dropping in on you :lol:
but...when theres waves (which is a lot in Jan) there are heaps of breaks between the North and West sides. i cant imagine the Kharmic backlash you might suffer if you went to Kauai in Jan and didn't take the time for a few surfs :oops:
fishing that time is definitely low average due to adverse conditions and spawning behavior which peaks in Jul-Aug. fishing Kauai style is all about "dunking" which is bait fishing. typically a strip of squid or "ika" on a size 12-14 circle hook. 3-4oz lead.
i use a 20# mainline (mono) with a 40# fluorocarbon leader. you can of course go smaller and catch more fish but lose the twenty pound trevally that could bite your line. braided lines can spook fish.
all the sandy beaches can be good. focus on the deeper channels between the banks or the gully thats often right off the beach.. throw em out.....put the rod in the sandspike with a bell and kick back. nice fishing 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
red

Post by red »

Hey Jima and Mike,
Getting into it now.
Mike, found this page http://fishwithjd.com/2008/06/27/beach- ... -in-kauai/
Beach fishing on trout rig. Might be the way I go. Maybe a heavy handline with linear baits.
Starting to plan the drive from the airport up the west coast and to the North. Where should I overnight?
red

Post by red »

I found my old 6'6" under a friend's house. It's had a rough life for a board that's barely been surfed. It was the 3rd board I designed. I surfed it a couple of times and then lent it to a friend who handed it on to someone else to someone else, etc for 4 years or so.

I designed the board after getting back from Hawaii in 2005. I wanted a bigger board with drive so I pushed the wide point 2" front of centre with a smooth 16" nose and tail, 23.5" wide outline, but a faster bottom than my Hawaii boards. I kept it fairly chunky (2 3/4" thick) for easy paddling to get past sets.

It didn't work out exactly what I wanted at the time, so I hardly surfed it. Anyway, changed the fin setup and it seems nice and loose and still quick, so it's off to Kauai, probably as a final destination.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

hey Red,
one thing i can almost guarantee is unless you use Hawaiian tackle and setups you won't catch fish. in my experience fish here like the smell of bait so if you must use artificials put a strip of ika on it.
only dunk (bait fishing with lead) if the bottom is fairly sandy. if it's all reef or rocks use a floater or whip.
for dunking use ika or octopus and if you use the floater then use shrimp.
http://www.tokunagastore.com/Menu/WhatFishWhatHook.htm
good examples of rigs for various types of fishing.
another trick is get a can of cheap mackeral and mix it with half a loaf of cheap white bread in a small bucket. use the juice and all from the can and after you mix it all up form golf ball sized balls and throw them out to where you bait is. this will draw anything and everything right to your hook.
good luck 8)
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

where you get cheap white bread? :lol:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

go to Loves Bakery on Rice St. they usually have some old bread they will sell cheap or sometimes give away 8)
theres also a market in Moloa'a (right next to the trailer park) that sells all kinds of redneck staples :lol:
skansand

Post by skansand »

That bread trick sound legit!

I see how circle hooks work, but.... im just not a fan of reeling in to set the hook.. kinda taking away from the best part..

though I scored a 25ib yellowtail once on a circle ....perfect hook set...

id be stoked to hook into a blue ulua sometime.. 8)
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Smokin Rock wrote:go to Loves Bakery on Rice St. they usually have some old bread they will sell cheap or sometimes give away 8)
theres also a market in Moloa'a (right next to the trailer park) that sells all kinds of redneck staples :lol:
Wez use duck tape not staples. :wink:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

should have known :lol:
Ska, once you get use to circle hooks and all their attributes theres no going back 8)
red

Post by red »

Thanks Mike and Jim,
Hawaiin rigs check
Bit of burley check
sinker vs float check.
#6-8 circle hooks check

Renting a tent (never did get that hammock!)
One or two nights on west coast (Salt Pond or Lucy Wright park)
One or two up north (Haena, Hanalei or Anini beach parks)
Then off to the Hyatt for a shower and shave and possible early waves at Brennecke's if a bit of a South eases through.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Good luck Red!
there is another camping spot that fronts Tunnels on the North Shore. there is better fishing as Anini sits inside a big reef. the tent is cool but head to Wal-Mart and get a tarp as the rain can get really intense this time of year. a cheap air mattress can keep your okole out of the water during a big rain as well.
to get to Wal-Mart head straight out of the airport. don't go right or left. i believe it's Ahukini rd. about i mile up on the right. great place for cheap camping and fishing supplies and also for checking out the local girls. :lol:
red

Post by red »

Hey Mike,
Great idea. Hadn't considered WalMart. I was more worried about mossies than rain, so thanks for the heads up. I can throw my trusty whisperlight in and buy fuel on the same shopping trip.
I can arrive with board and leave with camping equipment.

At least in Hawaii you can be fairly sure that the girls are female. Not like Tahiti, where there's a solid chance the slender girls might come with a spring surprise.