Kauai visit Jan 2011

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

mornin red!..Check your PM

chuck
red

Post by red »

Thanks for the advice, guys.
I'm more or less packed. The 6'6" board is packed in my trusty camping pad wrap that I made a few years ago. I'll drop it in my lightweight sleeping bag and then have the whole mess kling wrapped at the airport. This has worked well in the past.
Car rented, map to Walmart in hand, phone numbers noted, umbrella packed. Ready for a 3 day holiday in the sunImage
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

What kind of conference are you comming here for?
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
red

Post by red »

I got some nice 3-4' (HI) waves at Cannons on Sat. Made a couple of tubes, blew a couple of better tubes. That reef is on the shallow side.
Sunday a swell kicked in and Hanelei Bay was pretty good at 8-10' (HI), but when I see guys pulling out their 10' to surf triple overhead I remain on the beach. I caught a small fish that I would call a silver trevalley. It got another chance.
I'm now at the Hyatt with Shipwrecks directly out front. Of course there isn't much south swell right now, but I'll try a quick wave before work tomorrow.

The conference is information systems related. About 1000 people attending.
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Head west Red! The swell is going get B.I.G and lots of places to go in that direction. (majors, targets, pound-a-howle at end of the road)
red

Post by red »

I headed up to Polihale and checked out Fishermans etc but the swell was too big. Out of control.
Rockets and Majors might have been handling it right, but I couldn't get into the military reserve.
Now I'm working. Playtime over.
Stanley
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Stanley »

come on red where is your spirit of adventure....

You should be charging with your 6.6" and the amount of surfing you have been doing of late :P :P
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

On this round rock: follow the wrap: too big, follow the wrap and you will find the right size. call 808241surf! BIG today :shock: , goin down.

Try looking around mile marker 21 on the way to Waimea, park on the highway with the bros (all good) :wink: , and take a little walk to the beach. 8) and then say "God is Good"! :lol:

Now I'm gonna go get my beating for telling you that. :lol: :lol:
K-man

Post by K-man »

:lol: :lol: Actually ''most''of the bros there are pretty mellow.And during my stays I'm the resident kneelo.My status has been upgraded from haole to hapa haole.. :lol: Being there 60 days a yr.helps... :lol: great left....and a great right on the other side.Don't mention my name.... :lol:
None of this helps red....Back to work for him.Just another semi post hijack

cheers
red

Post by red »

You guys are inspiring me to play hookey. I might have to give Robby a call...

I chatted to a local the other day, hanging at Shipwrecks. Big, mean looking tattooed dude. Nice as. Gave me heaps of advice.
Actually all the locals I've spoken to have been really cool, especially about kneeboarding.

Looking on Google Earth I spotted the roads I couldn't find on the west coast - on either side of the storage tanks. Darn! I drove that road 4 times taking every turn off I could find (including trying to get into the military base and walking about 3km down a dirt road in the pitch dark), trying to get to where I knew the swell must be the right size.
Lesson: Look at Google Earth BEFORE you go. The satellite pics show all the roads not on the maps.
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Work is over rated. :lol: :lol: I would be glad to call you in sick. :wink:

Read my previous post again (slowly). Your 15-20 min from da kine.
K-man

Post by K-man »

And if you find it.....There may be some big friggin cows and a few bulls on the trail.Tell'em to FARK OFF.Look scary,but they're not.End of trail make a left across the creek.Sign says private property.Not really, as the beach area is public access.Water is a bit discolored from the runoff.Which means you can't see the coral heads... :lol: Mornings are best.The work crew leave around 8am.After that it ''can''get quite nice with not many bodies.Weekends are crowded early.Generally glassy early,trades(os/ss) will start when it warms up.Can blow around ten.Tide can make a difference...
No secrets here...Place is well known and one of the places that's on the list of places to surf on kauai.

cheers
JohnS

Re: post

Post by JohnS »

K-man wrote:Water is a bit discolored from the runoff.Which means you can't see the coral heads... :lol:
Or that Tiger :shock: :lol:
K-man

Post by K-man »

Out of sight ..out of mind......sort of... :lol: Barnacle bill was sighted last yr outside the break. Maybe eating a turtle.
Kauaikneelo

Re: post

Post by Kauaikneelo »

K-man wrote:No secrets here...Place is well known and one of the places that's on the list of places to surf on kauai. cheers
A little CYA there Chuck? :lol: :lol: