Mentawai Trip Sept 2011

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

halbs
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by halbs »

Hey MJ just read this post from a while back and see you're not far away from going, we went on the Bohemian last September and all I can say is half your luck!!! We were there with the Ripcurl boat which wasn't the disaster we thought but quite a highlight watching Tom Curren and his sons and Frankie Obenheiser surf but giving us the majority of the waves! I hope you have been in training because you're bound to come back a few kilos heavier as the food is simply superb - both Indonesian and Thai! Hopefully you have Ann on board as your chef.

Treasure Island is incredible.

Take some Halco lures, sunblock and a couple of books if you're a reader.

Please say gidday to the crew for me and stay out of the tavern at
danau toba!!!
getting there is often as good as getting there
MJ

Post by MJ »

Hi Halbs. You might recongnise some of these images then http://www.ripcurl.com/index.php?t2t8.

Yep a week and a bit until we go. It's been a bit of an adventure and we haven't left yet. The Bohemian was not an Indonesion flagged boat so it can't sail off Sumatra any more. Good news they have a new boat the Bohemian Baru, a nice big brand new cat. Bad news it's not ready so at the moment we're on the Saranya, same crew though. Training... me? I've been to the pool twice, does that count? Plenty of long surf sessions though so hopefully it won't be too bad. Having said that I tend to put on kilos looking at food so this could be a bit of a worry.

Might need a name to say hello to the crew for you. Danau Toba? Details?
wolruss
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by wolruss »

Good luck MJ & Budgie, hope the surf gods smile upon you.

Cheers Wolruss
halbs

Post by halbs »

MJ yeah a pity the Bohemian Baru isn't quite ready,I am looking forward to being onboard that boat at some stage in the future. The Bohemian was a great boat and with Steve's changes the new Bohemian will be even better.

The Danau Toba is the hotel where most people stay the night before departing Medan and the tavern is an "interesting" place to have two or thirty beers - ask Steve for details...I stayed at the Marriott it was awesome but I called in to see my mates at the Danau Toba two nights and then we got put up there on the last night vowing not to visit the tavern but ending up there every time! Sun Plaza is just down the road and the shopping in Medan is excellent if you forget anything, I forgot my camera and got a great deal over there.

Tell him Grant from South Australia says gidday and that we will be planning a trip one day. Have a great time half your luck hope you get Treasures on.
Last edited by halbs on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJ

Post by MJ »

Ok will do. Shows how close I read the itinerary, staying there for two nights before the boat. :roll:

Thanks Wolruss. Budgie needs a lot of help from Huey at the moment, his backs knackered with a only a week for a cure.

Mmmm Indo...http://www.dailysurfvideos.com/videos/o ... p-indo-447
Kev

Post by Kev »

MJ wrote: ... his backs knackered with a only a week for a cure...
:shock:
what's that !!
now he knows how every day is for me
and add a knee full of fluid and goop

get well soon Budgie
the waves are waiting
stevea

mentawi surf trip sept 2011

Post by stevea »

M.J and Budgie have a great trip wish i had enough disposable income to join you
Regarding your back Budgie i seriously recommend you seek out a DUKAN short for healer if you have a day or 2 in Padang they have a skill beyond comprehension for us simple westerners .I had a frozen shoulder cured in a day here in Bali by a Balian who knew more about previous injuries that in Oz needed an MRI to define
Of course it depends on the extent of damage but it sounds like a soft tissue injury or else why go on the trip ,if your coming via Bali there is a deep tissue masseur from Oz who can also help as the local Balian is now saturated with customers
Hope this helps
Kev know how you feel at my age minor injuries become major real easy as in recovery time
MJ

Post by MJ »

Thanks Steve.

Today's the day. Backs and knees in relative working order. Ash cloud dissipating and all packed for the red eye special.

I've been studying the forum on how to survive the barrel so hopefully all is good. With any luck will have some pics and a video in a couple of weeks. (Although the vid may take a bit longer). Now fingers crossed for some swell. :D :D :D
Kev

Post by Kev »

Yiipe
go Mark ..... and Greg
:D
finger

Post by finger »

Good luck
Have fun
Stay safe
MJ

Post by MJ »

Thanks.
Medan is a nice city as is Hotel Danau Toba. Halbs the Sun Plaza was more than we expected.
MJ

Post by MJ »

And the Taverns closed on a Sunday night.
halbs

Post by halbs »

Really I thought that place was like a vampires hang out with no windows and that it would never close!!!! Might be a good thing!

Hope you had a ball and got some of this massive swell that's been hitting SA and that Anna cooked as well as she did for us last year, did you get the hot nuts during the afternoon beers??

Any fish? Any waves? Any news?

cheers halbs
MJ

Post by MJ »

Halbs, we ended up on the Saranya so the crews a bit different. We`ve left the Banyaks and are now at the Hinakos islands. Surfed Asu today 8~10 foot faces on the sets and we're heading down to Rockstars at the bottom of Nias for our last day tomorrow. Plenty of pics to come when we`re back. Might check out the tavern on Friday night.
tomway

Post by tomway »

you lucky $0@$
Asu is one of my favourite lefts. Beautiful. Though I heard there are a few camps on the island now?
Looking forward to more shots from the banyaks, hope you scored there!