Maldives

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

fruitbat
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Maldives

Post by fruitbat »

Thinking of going to the Maldives in 2011 --30th wedding aniversary.Just me and the missus.Any resorts that anyone can reccomend or tavel info--times/ seasons-tips -places to stay etc.

Thanks

Eric
Anthony B

Post by Anthony B »

Do yourself a favour fruitbat and ring the guys up at worldsurfaris down at Kirra.They have the Maldives dialled in better than alot of other companies.Ive used them twice for a boat charterand highly recomend them.See if you can get in a resort down south away from the northern attols otherwise you may as well go to indo if you want crowds.You wont be disappointed if you go the right time of the year. :D
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

Thanks Ant-are you origonally from Moroubra?
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Hi Eric

I stayed at Hurundfushi resort last week of May a few years back. You have exclusive access to Lohis but it wasn't that good during my stay. They send out Dhonis twice a day usually one to Sultans/Honkies other to Cokes/Chickens. Got some nice waves and had a good time but it was crowded at Cokes when the live aboard boats were anchored there most of the day.

If I go back I'd love to head south as Anthony B suggests but I note you are going as a couple. I wouldn't rule out going back to the resort but I would take a punt and go on the shoulder of the peak season.

Coming up for the Pa and Ma Bendall in February?
Shelfbreak
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

Thanks for the info.At this stage I am planning on coming up and compete
=drink beer and have fun with the kneelos.if all goes well I will see ya up there.

Eric
rippe75
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by rippe75 »

:arrow:
Last edited by rippe75 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time and tide...
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

hey fruitbat i'm up for 30years next year and was going to head over there as well, going by all reports it is crowded these days so i'll take rippe's advise and go around easter, which i've always heard is the best time.
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
rippe75

Post by rippe75 »

Hey guys
If you want to surf sultans/Honkies come soon. They're selling it to some business with a fat wallet, to make a resort.

Which means?

Exclusive only to paying guests who stay on that island (Local name: Thamburudhoo).

Guess how many waves there'll be left to surf in Nth Male atoll in a couple of years? If you're staying on a boat/live aboard

Just 2!! TWO! DUO!!

Jails and cokes. And for all you guys who like lefts.. Non! Zero! Zilch!
Time and tide...
rippe75

Post by rippe75 »

We need your help

Our government, they're are whoring my country

they don't listen to us (locals) they only listen to $$$, which you guys bring

We all would like to surf all waves, dont we?

Help us open it all up, Pasta Point, Lhohi's, Fullmoon, Chickens...etc. They're

all awesome waves

Any ideas on what to do?
Time and tide...
analbirth

r u shiteing me

Post by analbirth »

ahh the mighty dollar and corrupt governments..... well any government really corrupt or not........ anyone really :( hard to compete with money

the only thing to do for yourself is petition the powers that be to allow locals [you] access to any break as a compromise and possibly your guests. Not ideal but at least it's a start, and something they may consider after all you are part owners of your country.

Failing that grab a few hand grenades and clear the lineup :roll: :lol:
stevea

Maldives

Post by stevea »

Hi Rippe75 got your message
I really sympathise with your situation ,most governments are pimps unfortunately, and i cant see a solution ,protesting just paints a target on your back
Perhaps the resort will see a long term benefit in putting back into the local community, building schools being environmental sustainable etc etc but the resorts here in Bali sure dont seem to give a mother rats arse
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Hi Rippe 75

Lohis was full when we stayed in early October. Some surfers who stay there seem content to mostly surf Lohis and not take the boat trips. However i'd think twice about coming back to North Male if Sultans and Honkies were off limits. It would result in overcrowding at the remaining breaks.

If the exclusive access you refer to is obtained from traditional rights of the community adjacent to Sultans then it might be hard to argue against. But if it is obtained through Government regulation for business purposes then you would hope that consideration would be given to those businesses that were permitted and encouraged under a more open access arrangement. In our country having an access right cancelled generally leads to compensation.
Shelfbreak
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

in our country you can't own a surf break thank fuk and the bastarrds have'nt worked out a way to "directly" tax them either :o but i bet they've been trying :evil: they tax everything else
rippe75

Post by rippe75 »

Its probably naive to think that resort owners are going to listen to a bunch of local surfers to open their surf breaks to everyone... locals and travelers.
But I think it might be possible to convince them (government) to keep Thamburudhoo (Sultans and Honkys) open for everyone. If enough wave riders appeal, I think they will listen (... trying to stay positive).
It hasn't been finalized to lease the island yet but some developers are interested and are in talks with the gov.
Going to post a petition soon.
Still havent figured out how to write a good one. (Might have to go back to school :oops:)
Soon

All kneelos who come by, pls keep in touch. Would love to share a few waves

Did you know that Jails was "owned" by the same guys who operated Pasta Point?
It was a fun day (about 15 of us got arrested) that lead to it being opened to everyone
Time and tide...
Angie

Post by Angie »

Thinking of doing a trip there next year as my 1st surf trip overseas, planning for about 3-4 weeks, been thinking to go there as i work in yemen and fly through dubai, so instead of flying back to SA, reroute to maldives and stay until i have to return back to work. Rippe 75 some suggestions on where to stay to score waves would be much appreciated!