respect at the cove?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Big Fred
Local (More than 25 post)

respect at the cove?

Post by Big Fred »

Do we know what that means? This last weekend we had some fun surf and everybody was getting some good shacks and some great hits. Everyone was having fun until a standup local surfer paddled up to me and said that all this kneeboarding s*&^ is getting out of hand. I Asked the bro what's wrong and he said Fred I'm stoked for all of you guys but the surfing etiquette is getting pretty bad. This surfer has been at this spot before it was named the cove. We (including myself) all need to respect everyone that's out in the water. Simple rules we all need to follow that would help everyone have fun in the water (with no hassles). The back paddling and dropping in on everyone and anyone needs to stop. Someones gonna get hurt. It's easy enough to look over your shoulder and easy enough just to be nice and let someone else have a turn. This is not a contest on how many waves you can catch, were just out there to have fun. Were just gonna have to fix this together. We have a good thing going on here let's not blow it.

Thanks,
Big Fred
Carl.E

Post by Carl.E »

Hear! Hear! Well said Fred.
kid borracho
WayneK
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by WayneK »

I know what you're talking about Fred. It's kind of a "pack mentality" where
a large group can just take over.

But, what is more disturbing is how some of us kneelos have lost sight of sharing amongst OURSELVES. If someone catches a good set wave they should let a few go to give some of their friends a chance to go. Not everyone surfs at the same level. It's a wonderful thing watching your friends get one too, even if you're in a better position.
I think we just need to be aware and not feel like we got to catch them all.
That's what the Cove is all about 8) :D 8)
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

my heart bleeds for that stand up, shoes on the other foot for a change and they get their nose outa joint, just shite us kneelo's have been putting up with at every break, considered a lower part of the surfing food chain it's about time we stand up for ourselves :roll: :lol:
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

8) topic
I know i've heard grumblings from some of the standup crew from the pier and the cove about "whats up all the bloody kneelos" :lol:

And I think if my memory serves me well that when ksusa first started the gatherings years ago at RJ's, the local standups there let a few of the local kneelos know that hmmmm... this isnt such a great idea bringing in all us loco kneelos and trying to take over the area!!
and I can see their point.... we dont have gatherings at RJ's anymore.

I enjoy surfing with the crew at the cove or wherever we end up.. Im the first to hoot and encourage someone into a wave and give up some of those holy rollers to the shore to my kneelo bretheren and ESPECIALLY to the old time local standups and bodyboarders that have been surfing there WAY before you or me... communication and respect in the lineup is essential...which way are you going? left ...right .....straight.... whatever... let the other person whose paddling for the same wave know what your going to do...split the peak
common courtesy

lets keep the cove a place where we all want to go to :D
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

as a visiter i found it fantastic how laid back everyone was.
the surf was great. shure there were a lot of knelos :shock:
but there wre plenty of waves & a good stoke in the water
the cove is still winding down from the great nationals comp
& 2 weeks of good surf you guys are lucky
cheers wanderer :D
scott
Jimputz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jimputz »

Thanks Fred for being the one to initiate this forum topic.
It's too bad that it even needs to be brought up but It's been out of control within the local kneelo community for some time now.
So bad that the local standup crews had to bring it to our attention. :shock:
Come on you guys! It's all about having fun out there, and as Wayne mentioned, communication is key.
Snap out of "CONTEST MODE." :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll:
LOOK before you drop in. Share. Take turns. You all know what I'm talking about?
Thanks again Fred. I'm basically repeating everything you said but feel this is an important issue and I just needed to throw in my 2 bits. :D
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Wow ! I remember the days at Huntington & Newport when I was way stoked just to see ONE other kneelo in the line-up... hard to believe we've got a place now where we're crawling over each other for a wave! Moving back home to So. Calif. this May. Looking foward to meeting everyone at The Cove and putting a face to each of the names I've seen on our site. I love the uniqueness of what we do and the very innovative ( and diverse ) equipment we ride , let's carry that distinction through in the way in the way we hui-up and treat each other ( and even standups ) with excellence.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Bud

Post by Bud »

I love the uniqueness of what we do and the very innovative ( and diverse ) equipment we ride , let's carry that distinction through in the way we hui-up and treat each other ( and even standups ) with excellence.
Well said Rob. :wink:

Can't we all just get along? :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GVzsuDsxW8
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

It's kind of ironic that up here in the land of black wetsuits and clear boards, where I'm sure the rest of the surfing world might think of us as some kind of redneck wave riding neanderthals, we turn out to be quite progressive in our dealings with the wide spectrum of the many wave riding disciplines. I can honestly say, in the 35 + years I've been a local here ( admittedly, membership does have it's privileges ) I have never received a derogatory comment concerning my "legless" form of riding a wave. Here, people be they kneelos, spongers, longboarders, local or tourist are judged solely on ability, attitude and etiquette. That said, I don't think we are the only surfing locale that would frown upon a group or gathering of ANY kind. Over the years I've had several kneeboarders come up here to surf our waves. And I've always tried to make them feel welcome. ( although, many years ago, when first meeting me, T.K. from S.F. said I seemed " aloof " I'm sure because he was to polite to say I seemed an a-hole :wink:) Maybe it's just that I have a different viewpoint being that I'm the only kneeboarder here so all my surfing friends are footboarders. And I'm fine with that. I've never had a desire to seek out other kneeboarders to surf with. Not that I don't think it would be cool to surf with some of the members of the KSUSA. But honestly, I'm sure there are some I would not enjoy surfing with. And vice-versa. But in the future, if your in the neighborhood, look me up. We'll go for a surf. But please, one at a time 8)
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
TKendall
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by TKendall »

Jerry is indeed warm and welcoming - one at a time 8)
maxb

Post by maxb »

Ok , Cove Crew , I know I am only there occasionally and some of you I have known for quite some time and some for a very short time. I consider ALL of you my friends.
Please ,take this thread and end it and get together and solve this amongst yourselves. There are alot of good people that are feeling as if they are being singled out,and are not very happy about it,and I don't blame them.
Every one of us has been on each side of this issue, so all are guilty.
Sit down have a beer and sort it out ,you have a good thing here DON'T SCREW IT UP! There's alot of friendships that have been created because of The Cove. Lets keep the stoke alive and just go out and enjoy what we have.
I am not sure if what I wanted to say came out right ,but I hope it did.
Max
kbing newport
stonefish

Post by stonefish »

The Huntington scene always has someone in the water who feels butthurt.
The right of way issues will sort themselves out.
I surf the insanely crowded Blackies break in Newport . I seem to get waves with no interference. It is often required to deek the sweeper, out paddle the longboarder, take off impossibly late to be able to call off the air show foot surfers, then dodge the surf school learning to paddle in the impact zone while cutting around the bodyboarder that just shoulder hopped everyone. I invite all wave riders to clog up my spot, just stay away from the righthander in front of the Wave Observation Tower, thats Randys Right!
Carl.E

Post by Carl.E »

I haven't been surfing the Cove for long but I have fun there surfing, watching you guys surf, and just hanging out in the parking lot. I've met alot of Kneelos over the last couple of years you guy seem like very cool people with alot of positive vibes. Some times I get dropped in on and other times I might drop in on someone (like Razor for the fun of it). It happen's. So lets look over are shoulder and give a sucker an even break. It can't always be rainbow's and unicorn's like Randy's Right. :lol: :shock: :D :wink:
kid borracho