Driving from Sydney to Phillip Island- where should we surf?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Tom Linn »

Also, congrats to Steeno. Your life is about to change. I took my oldest and his Mom to the north shore for over 2 weeks just six weeks after he was born. To this day, I can't get my wife to return to the north shore. But, my son is an avid surfer so something must have rubbed off.
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

There's heaps of sites to check....none terribly accurate.... but I usually check swellnet.com.au & coastalwatch.com.au, maybe one of other boys knows of some others & their accuracy.
It's getting closer....so looking forward to it....3 weeks of for me, I have'nt had a break for a while.
Steen, so much in front of you, we're at the other end of it with the youngest, a 24 yr old, we're having trouble convincing to get out into the big wide world (too bloody comfortable if you ask me :lol: ) and love it when the grandkids come.....and go (that's sounds horrible but you forget real soon, how much energy they require). Having said that I would'nt swap the experience for the world - sounds so cliche but it rings true, for us anyway. Good luck to You & Jacqui, enjoy every minute, hope everything goes well.

Cheers Wolruss
jdc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jdc »

http://magicseaweed.com/Mallacoota-Surf-Report/1049/

magic seawed provides a reasonable amount of info on each break that it reports on. even satellite photos so can be found. Accuracy up and down but definately a guide.

http://magicseaweed.com/Cape-Conran-Surf-Report/1050/

scroll down the select a surf site at the top to look at Phillip Island.

as mentioned swellnet etc. combine all to make a sometimes confusing picture :? :? :roll:

Dont forget to check out Killkunda (maybe only one l) just towards Wonthaggi from Phillip Island.

id love to get there for a look see but domestic affairs have me pinned down. The west coast of victoria for those with time springs back into life around now and is off shore on the predominating west in winds that start to kick in late march through autumn and winter
i like surfing
micko
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

weather sites

Post by micko »

I find Willyweather very handy for west oz, dunno how it stacks up for the other side.....
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

thanks jdc. the magic seaweed site is really helps
randiego

Post by randiego »

Tom - I checked my travel insurance - I'm covered. Turns out I've always been covered. Always gotta read those Terms and Conditions.

:D :D
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

John that is a good site, I'll add it to my "repertoire". I have heard of it before but it does'nt look familiar so perhaps I did'nt get in there & have a "butchers chook" previously...thanks.

Cheers Wolruss
drift-on
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by drift-on »

no waves down here..
flat lifeless sand bars
no slabs either
s*&^ weather
wind rain
all bad
no waves till vicco
haha
u gotta do tha time
she'll do the rest
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
stevea

Driving from Sydney to Phillip Is where to surf

Post by stevea »

Still havent found my Mark Warren atlas ,but the internet site s posted and other insights have been great sort of made it redundant ,so i bet i find it before leaving
Heading down about mid week dependant on forecasts hope to bump into a few other kneeling travellers here or there ,
It would be great to get some footage on the way mother nature permitting ,but really hoping to get in some watertime with other kneeboarders followed by a few beers to fine tune the body and mind for what looks like being one helleva trip
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Hope to run into you on the way down Steve, will PM my mobile if your in the vicinty give me a call.

Wolruss
red

Re: Driving from Sydney to Phillip Is where to surf

Post by red »

stevea wrote:Still havent found my Mark Warren atlas ,but the internet site s posted and other insights have been great sort of made it redundant ,so i bet i find it before leaving
Heading down about mid week dependant on forecasts hope to bump into a few other kneeling travellers here or there ,
It would be great to get some footage on the way mother nature permitting ,but really hoping to get in some watertime with other kneeboarders followed by a few beers to fine tune the body and mind for what looks like being one helleva trip
That Mark Warren atlas is a classic. Scant exact locations. Allusions to secret breaks and some historic stuff and forgotten spots. I still drag it out to confirms what the more "modern" wave guides have to say.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

many a lonely night " the atlas " kept me company and entertained :!: :!:
I only bought it for the articles of course :wink:
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
waka

Post by waka »

:)

Follow your nose gentleman, I think Tuesday might be the day to contact us if you wanna drop by for paddle :wink: while down my neck of the woods,keep a eye out for kangaroo's if driving early morning or at night....and did I mention how much damage a wombat can do to a car :lol:
Call into Eden and check out the maritine museum and Old Tom....worth the stop! 8)
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil