Driving from Sydney to Phillip Island- where should we surf?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Tom Linn »

oops, that was supposed to be a PM to Steen.

After some thought I thinking that Ayer's Rock should be our first stop.
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MALLEE BULL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MALLEE BULL »

Red are you talking about the right hander at Saltwater Creek.If so cracked it about 8' in 77 before i started doggie styling.
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

tom, the river todd at the alice goes off at least once a year for the boat races
so if you time it right you can surf the trawler wakes, but you gotta wach out for the fresh water crocs also the simpson desert land eel it's related to the moray but it's got bigger choppers, nasty bastards grow to about 8' :P
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
jdc

Post by jdc »

Nelson's beach area north of Tarthra (spelling?) for memory and coastal from Bega can get some waves. Bega is a red neck but interesting bit of australinana. Eden might have some garden of Eden views about climate change etc so talk up logging rather carbon tax or tree hugging :wink: if you drop in. Good ol pubs but its been a while since I was there.

Do drop into the Ben Boyd national park area after Reds Pie shop and hit Salt Water, great wave when on. Also visit the Green Cape light house and check out the chinese cemetary from a shipwreck long ago

Mallacoota is a good wave and coastal town, but Cape Conran as Red suggested is flukey and a bit of a back track. We camp there at easter an get a wave based on hanging around for a week rather than consistency...great camping but!

Avoid Lakes Entrance if in a hurry or even if not ..there is a turn off that goes around , saves time and head space. Bairnesdale is a good town to snack fuel up etc

album_showpage.php?pic_id=2701&full=true

album_showpage.php?pic_id=2700&full=true

me at salt water a loooooong time ago and Dingo's were sighted on the beach back then!! and Lace Monitors...sorta Goanna, can found anytime..zip your tent :shock:
Last edited by jdc on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
i like surfing
red

Post by red »

MALLEE BULL wrote:Red are you talking about the right hander at Saltwater Creek.If so cracked it about 8' in 77 before i started doggie styling.
Saltwater! that's it. Been there a few times and no luck. Big goannas in the campground, but.

AB
You cheeky bugger.
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Plenty of good information has been posted in this thread already. I just hope we don't get one of those infamous East Coast swell droughts.
Stay in touch with the local crew and you will score if there are waves to be had.

A decent guidebook is a good idea but remember that almost any spot can have it's epic day at any time. Many of the spectacular shots Steen posts here are of "local" breaks not featured in any guide.

Surfwise, Ulladulla is almost as bad as the Gong. South of there you're really off the radar.

Randiego, if you score that spot two trips in a row I'll need you to buy me a lotto ticket.
budgie

Post by budgie »

Instead of a surf trip

Why not do a historical kneelo trip and it is easy and goes like this.......

Get off the plane jump in a hire car, drive to maroobra the old stomping ground of kneelo legend Dave Parkes, have a surf.

Then get up to the north shore and go to dee why, where the legendary Peter Crawford perfected his craft. Be careful of the locals.

Then call into brookevale and see where some great kneeboards are made at the Flashpoint factory, made by Bruce Hart.

Next stop, narrabeen, home to one of my old surf heroes, Michael Novakov numerous time World champ, also the old home of million times world champ and the hottest kneelo on the planet Simon Farrer. One of my favourite lefts.

A short scenic detour to the central coast and terrigal and you might find another world champ, Baden Smith.

I am sure others with more extensive knowledge could help out with some more tips

good luck
Budgie
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

key down here is timing, swell is critical anywhere, if the is no swell=no waves. Slats and Waka are definately worth a call, they doint miss much in there neck of the woods.
The stretch from Eden to PI is the most boring, there are world class waves in here..but boat access and a long period of time to be in the right place at the right time, is ohhh so critical. There is some Awesome forest and natural Australiana in parts. If you dont have much time, its usually the dash for cash leg of the trip.
From Sydney to Eden would be about a 6 1/2 - 7 Hour drive....if you have 6 days, this is where I would condense this trip too. Some of the best waves in Australia are on this strip of coast.
Not much point dropping names of places, the swell and conditions the week you are here will determine where you surf....thats a given...name breaks or not. A good map or GPS is critical, especially when getting directions onthe phone :)
I have heard Mallacoota's name mentioned, great place but....no point driving in here unless you know something is on...otherwise its a waste of water time and driving time. You will lose half a day to a day around this area looking for waves. long kilometres around this area between beach access points.. the same applies for this wholes stretch of coast. Read above.
My first Baby is due on the 24th March....so I wont be down the island...but i will be keen to know whats going on.

steeno
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
randiego

Post by randiego »

RMcKnee wrote:Randiego, if you score that spot two trips in a row I'll need you to buy me a lotto ticket.
Funny, that's what the guys in the lineup said. "Bloody Yank blow-in gets this on his second day! We've been waiting 3 months!" 8)
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
pittolo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by pittolo »

There are about 5 or 6 kneelos on the stretch of coast from Bermagui to Pambula. If the waves are there you will find someone at Camel rock, Middle or Nelsons’ Merimbula Bar or Pambula (beach or inlet). Comments by Steeno on the politics of your end of the world are disturbingly accurate although there is a leaching of subcultures into the main stream which has added to the appeal of the area. The water is warm by our standards, most of the tourist have gone back to the big smoke, so there is room, but Merimbula Bar fills up most afternoons after work (waves permiting). Enjoy your time if you get time Phil
jdc

Post by jdc »

Steeno wrote:My first Baby is due on the 24th March....so I wont be down the island

steeno
Steen grab the "mum to be' and hit the Island...not only will you see the action but best of all, junior will be a Victorian

:P
i like surfing
sf_firestarter

Post by sf_firestarter »

please post photos of your journey for all us that can't make the trip. have a great time. with all the "sharing" going on here I'm sure you guys will score big time.
randiego

Post by randiego »

Tom - have you booked your car rental yet? :?: :?:

I'm learning all about something called "Rental Excess", otherwise known as a "deductible" of $3850 for collision damage :shock: :shock:

All the rental companies have it, and you have to buy "Excess Reduction"(extra $25-$50 per day) to reduce it to $350.

I've rented cars down there many times, and I never knew about it. :twisted:

Trying to find out now if my travel insurance covers it, and I'm looking at an extra policy you can buy at a substantially reduced rate.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

We are jazzed to go. Definitely going to mix in a bit of the kneelo history tour along the way. Thanks for all the good info.

Also, does anyone have any wave check websites to recomment.

Randiego- don't know what an excess deductable is and hope I never learn. I will check with our rental company, Apollo, and see if we have to deal with that. Thanks for the heads up!