Going to Hawaii?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

kage
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Going to Hawaii?

Post by kage »

My niece is getting married next year (around Easter) in Hawaii. In a town called Captain Cook. Never been to Hawaii, never even boarded without a wetsuit. Is there a surfable spot nearby at that time of year? Is she still my favorite niece or does she move down the list?
Actually what I am thinking about is should I reserve time for a couple of days side trip or am I OK where I am?
stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by stemple »

Find out what island its on then order the surf maps from the online source. That should give you a decent idea how much surf is around where you will going. Inter island flghts can be a bit pricey as well a pain in ass for just a few days.
joe

Post by joe »

It's the big Island, west coast. Just south of Kona.
A few surf spots listed on wannasurf:
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_Ame ... index.html

Maybe you could hook up with CHIEF, his profile says he's located in the Kailua-Kona area.
gsurf
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by gsurf »

joe wrote:It's the big Island, west coast. Just south of Kona.
A few surf spots listed on wannasurf:
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_Ame ... index.html

Maybe you could hook up with CHIEF, his profile says he's located in the Kailua-Kona area.
I spend a couple of weeks in Kona every year right at Banyans (Kona-Bali Kai) and its a fun break. Also surf , Laymans, Magic Sands, Hookena, Airport, Kahaluu(great left on a good swell)
Fun area but fickle. Best during west or south swells. Mostly blocked from NW swells in the winter.
Surfed on Hilo side but its easily blown out. Locals are pretty mellow as long as you show proper respect.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

show proper respect
At least when I was in HI that meant don't drop in behind as well as not in front of...
SCGARY

Post by SCGARY »

DrStrange wrote:
show proper respect
At least when I was in HI that meant don't drop in behind as well as not in front of...
I haven't had that problem on the big island but did see it on the north shore fairly often when someone new would paddle out into the lineup and draw the wrong kind of attention to himself.. BIG MISTAKE. or, in some case it's better to just go surf somewhere else if you paddle out and sense a bad vibe in the water. In general, in the islands, at a unfamilar break you want to remain "invisible" to the locals until their used to you.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

aloha to all,
heres a very simple suggestion to anyone visiting Hawaii for surf. whenever you encounter other surfers be it in the lineup or on the beach, say hello or howzit or just a smile and a shaka, whatever. we can always tell the visitors because most times they won't look you in the eye and say howzit.
big mistake to have the "i'm only here for a week and i want to score ALL the waves i can" mentality. you will be chewed up and sh%t out in no time. go with the flow. the beeg bruddah outside that has been waiting patiently for his wave does not give a rats ass if you're in better position and if you paddle around him to get there, well, you probably won't end up friends.
the locals here are the nicest people you'll ever meet if you show them respect.
remember you're in the most beautiful place on earth. the water is cobalt blue and there are colorful fish swimming around your toes. mountains loom out of the ocean and a volcano is smoldering in the distance. chill. take it all in and relax, you'll get enough waves. 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
hart

Hi

Post by hart »

Too smooth..I want 2 b there

..respectfully

hart
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

anytime Mr. Hart, anytime,
just bring your hiking boots and a strong leash. me and my trusty 4x4 will be your guide.
Jafo

Post by Jafo »

I'm headed to Kona for about 10 days at the end of September/beginning of October. It's a 10-year anniversary, family trip, so besides the board bag I'll have my wife, 2-year-old son and even my in-laws :shock: with me.

So while I'm going to be tied up doing family stuff a bit, I am planning to rack up a little surf time and would love to hook up with any KBs who wouldn't mind showing this poor haole a spot or two. I've read the above threads and will know my place in the water.

Thanks,
Jafo
IKAIKA

Going to Hawaii?

Post by IKAIKA »

IT'S ALL ABOUT ALOHA, SHARING & ABOVE ALL... RESPECT.

SMOKING ROCK COULDN'T DESCRIBE THE PLACE BETTER.

YOU CAN SCORE PERFECT WAVES WITH NOBODY ABOUT.
(THERE IS A PERFECT LEFT RIGHT IN FRONT WHERE I WORK & THE BIGGEST CROWD I HAVE SEEN IS 2 GUYS OUT).

KAGE, JAFO...
SEND ME A PM & WE'LL TALK SOME ABOUT YOU GUYS TRIP.

I THINK RED IS COMING IN JANUARY.

ALOHA,
CHIEF
Last edited by IKAIKA on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

John,
give some aloha and you'll get heaps back. thats pretty much what it's all about here.
Edgar,
hey amigo, we still have'nt hooked up for a surf. if things can work out lets get together with some of these travelers and have a mini gathering Big Island style. let me know your schedule. the Kukui'haele/Hono'kaa boys would freak (in a good way) if i showed up with 2-3 other kneeboarders.
IKAIKA

Post by IKAIKA »

HEY SMOKING ROCK...

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN TO ME. :)
IKAIKA

Post by IKAIKA »

HEY SMOKING ROCK...