New Zealand North Island

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

jeffsurf
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

NZ kneeboard shapers

Post by jeffsurf »

Planning a trip to NZ in early February, 2013 and thinking about picking up a board. Any advice about this? Is there a shaper on North Island?
jeffsurfs
HOOPER
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by HOOPER »

good time to come warm and plenty of waves on the east coast, shapers mainly stand up guys doing the odd kneeboard my shaper might be able to whip u up something weird and wonderful message me hoops
Howard Lorney
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Howard Lorney »

As Hoops said, shapers all foot surfers. No dedicatcated kneeboard shapers. His guy, Mike is good and been shaping for40+ years but I wouldn't have thought he'd get a board done in less than 4-6weeks. Some times he take that long for a repair, but he is a real craftsman and moves fast if he's excited about a board.

Keep in touch with Hooper and myself. What are your travel plans?

Cheers
Howard
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
jeffsurf

The Visit

Post by jeffsurf »

Thanks for the post Howard, and the pm Hoops! Mount Maunganui looks way good on google maps.
Here's the story: Me and my wife are landing in Auckland ~Feb 12. Doing a month in NZ. My son just got back from NZ on a honeymoon, and raved about Raglan. We also have friends who live in Orakura. So we plan to visit both those spots for several days, but I really want to see the east side as well.
I'm 60 but in good shape and surf 3 days a week when conditions permit, but I don't seek triple overhead much anymore. Started on my knees in 1970 In Santa Barbara, and never saw a reason to change! I surf a tough beach break in Sonoma County now all the time, and would like to find points or reefs as a change of pace. I would appreciate any tips as to locations and would love to meet up and surf with you guys if possible.
Cheers,
jeffsurf :D
jeffsurfs
jeffsurf

Here we come!

Post by jeffsurf »

On our way tomorrow, and hope to connect with you folks. We'll be in Tauranga around March 5 for several days and would love to visit and maybe get a surf in if your schedules allow.
Cheers,
Jeff
jeffsurfs
HOOPER

Post by HOOPER »

heree how i see it jeff head down the west coast have look at raglan wind looks s/w not flash but manu bay handles it when the swell dies go further sth maybe your friends in oakura find browneye he,ll sort some waves for you no waves on the east coast at the moment but keep you posted cheers hoops
KAVA
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

hamilton/raglan

Post by KAVA »

Im going to be in NZ feb 20-28th looking to borrow or rent a kneeboard in the raglan area. I will be staying in Hamilton and waikato beach but can travel anywhere really? please email me at kava1@socal.rr.com with info
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)