New Zealand North Island

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

New Zealand North Island

Post by gogglefog »

I'll be in New Zealand August 23-September 9. Planning to be on the North Island the whole time.

Would love to hook up with some fellow kneelos for a surf or two.

if anyone could give some advice on where to surf in regards to different weather conditions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John
mutiny
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by mutiny »

that would be Craig Hooper or Howard Lorney
or Murry and craIG
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Kneelogrl would probably love to have someone visit. She lives in Gisborne.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
HOOPER
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by HOOPER »

were here not going nowhere pm me when you get close to coming we,ll find you waves hoops :)
sf_firestarter

Post by sf_firestarter »

John,

I just spent two weeks there. PM me if you want to discuss, also happy to and probably easier to talk over the phone.

Eric
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

Thanks for the tips boys.

Eric and Hoops, I'll be in touch shortly.
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

y'all is welcome any time.

As Craig said, we aren't goin any where so we'll be up for a surf. Talk to Eric and get his feedback. Beds here in Mount Maunganui and in Gisborne with Susan
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
kneelogrl
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kneelogrl »

Sorry, I haven't been in to KSUSA lately.

I have a spare room with 2 single beds. You are welcome to stop here in Gisborne. I am walking distance to the Pipe, & 10- 15 min drive to the coast beaches. PM me.
Kneel before the mana of Tangaroa.
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

John, aka 'Gogglefog', flew in on a giant kerosene budgie to the land of the long white cloud last Tuesday and discovered that sometimes there really is no cloud. He picked up his motorised tent in Auckland and made his way down to Tauranga taking note of the Whangamata turn-off as he passed it but avoiding the temptation to follow the signs that would lead him to the Whanga Bar secure in the knowledge that the only place to be this week was Gisborne. He stopped off here in Tauranga and enjoyed some local hospitality. We've been a bit starved of surf here lately so I managed to score a leave pass from my darling wife, and John and I hit the road first thing wednesday morning, well it was actually 9.30 before we got moving so we made it to Gizzy by 2:00 and scored Makarori Point about 3ft with only two others out.
Enjoyed a very pleasant evening, some fine 21 year old Appletons Rum and some Thai seafood cuisine in the company of James Newby and his new wife 'Pu' (forgive me if I spelt it wrong). Next morning James flew back to Perth and John and I headed for Mahia, we hit Point Annihilation and there were four guys out (Ricardo Christie currently ranked 43rd, Tim O'conner and two others equally as good) and it would have been 4ft plus. We paddled out and only managed to get a few waves till the Pro's left with their two camera men. John got a few good ones and we both found out why they call it Point Annihilation. Headed back to James' place for the night, thanks again James.
Friday morning we checked out the breaks north and then headed for Pipe, about 4-5 ft with the odd 6ft coming through, big drift and a lot of work for only a few waves but John scored some nice ones while I made use of the camera before heading out myself. Typical amateur photographer, missed the best waves and got the smaller ones but hey, at least I sat on the beach and tried. Afternoon session was back at Makarori Point, 2.5- 3ft and a bit bumpy but we had a lot of waves in a two hour session, John was on his mat and me on my flashie.
With the swell forecast to drop John was planning to head south to Napier and then across the Island to Taranaki to catch a lifting swell early next week.
Last I saw of John was when I left him in the company of Susan Sowers (kneelogirl) as I headed back to the comfort of my own bed back in Tauranga.
Great to meet you John and trust that the rest of your trip is as full of good waves as the first four days.

Cheers, Howard

kneed for speed
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

Susan - thanks for putting me up for a few days.

Howard - thanks for everything and glad you could come down. The day after you left I took the air mat out at makarori on a glassy day and had an insane session. Great mat wave. Only gotten better mat waves at crescent head and rincon but I can't seem to catch those waves with only 3 other people out.

In Opunake at the moment. Met a kneelo named Paul Anderson who has put me up for a few days. Unbeleivable this kneelo hospitality!!!

Caught Mangahume last night with Paul and another local. Some of the sets were close to double oh. Good fun after a few waves. Then Paul took me to Arawata Road this morning where we surfed with a crowd of about 8. Lots of waves to go around.

Been here seven days and have surfed everyday and gotten quite the variety. EPIC TRIP!!! Still a week and a half to go.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Thanks for the update John! Those are two great spots in the Taranaki area. There's a few more up the road as well 8)
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

Glad you're hitting the swell in Taranaki as well John. As Brad said there are still plenty more spots round the surf highway for you to enjoy and if you've still got some energy after all that surf you might even make it to Raglan.

Dont know if noticed but I posted a few photos on the General Surf Album.

Cheers
Howard

kneed for speed
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I guess it's like surfing in Guinness :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... froth.html
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

Only in the deep South.............. :roll:

Imagine the paddle back out through that

kneed for speed
kneelogrl

Post by kneelogrl »

You'd be surprised, Howard. Gisborne town beach looks like that sometimes, after a big "rain event." It's silt coming down the rivers, the Waipaoa is 1 of the siltiest rivers in the world. True! A few years back, a US survey ship spent a year moored in the bay, studying siltation.

When it looks like that, I don't even have to walk down for a look- I can smell it outside my house. It smells like topsoil. It tastes like fresh water mixed w/ mud. The fresh water floats on top of the salty sea. :lol:
Kneel before the mana of Tangaroa.