G-Land info

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

farbz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

G-Land info

Post by farbz »

ok I am booked in at Bobby's for 5th July.

currently injured - which pretty much means no surfing until I go - but am gonna do it anyway.

I will take photo's only if I have to.

ok

any tips re paddling out , avoiding death etc would be much appreciated.
stevea

G-Land Info

Post by stevea »

Farbz last time i saw a gash like that Pamela A was on a boat trip with Tommy
L ee
,in Indo there are a billion micro-organisms just waiting to invade you ,luckily just about any prescription drug can be bought over the counter here but take every precaution maybe spray on skin to seal it or even a tube of super glue will close an open gash if its dry enough
If your here a few days before your trip make contact ,i eat n drink next to a great art shop that do fantastic custom paintings re your Skc logo
As for Gland well the last time i went the 3 camps were full to the brim 180 verocious ? tube hunters blind to the inside man ,only intent of looking into the eyes of the water camera
but the food was great!
Paddling out do it 2 hours before the billboard says is the optimum time or lunch time its still a great wave or just before sunup
Walk up to Kongs look for the chanel but time the sets because if theres size you can get dragged down the reef without ever getting out .
Sorry if thats a bit of a negative spin but everyone wants the tube of their life there ,i hope you get yours
farbz

Post by farbz »

cheers steve,

I pretty arrive in Bali at night 9.00pm-ish and drop my boards at the office for bobbys.
Then go to hotel and bed to be ready for pickup at 6am.
A pretty long day ....via Darwin.

We have taken the old man option of the fast boat.
My arse will thank me I'm sure.

speaking of my arse.. I got the stitches out and it is improving heaps everyday.
I reckon I will be back in the water by next weekend.
About the only thing that doesn't seem to worry the damaged muscle is kneeling and laying on my stomach.

I have stocked up on all sorts of crap for my first aid kit...got more s*&^ than shcapelle it seems.
crowds will be a problem I have sort of already counted on.
After getting hurt I will be happy just being there.
I thought I'd blown my trip all together.
thanks for the info mate.
I will catch you in Seminyak
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

Hey Farbz,
the sun absolutely blazes there. take lots of really strong sun screen. i burned the hell out of the backs of my legs and where my rashguard and boardies met up. it was so hot by 10am when i was getting ready to surf that i couldn't get the sunscreen to really stick cus of sweat. the next morning i got up before the sun was up and applied several times when it was cool. this hepled a lot. a full arm rashguard is nice. no green!
i believe the best in and out spot is nearly in front of moneys. if you get a really long one (typical) and it's your last wave....dont try to get out down past speedies. paddle back up to moneys and go in. i did this my first surf there and hobbled over shallow sharp reef and urchins for what seemed like miles. not fun. when you get settled. go down to the photog tower and check the guys going out. i came with heaps of medical supplies and left most of them with the camp honcho when we departed. they were most appreciated!
have fun 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
farbz

Post by farbz »

cheers.
I have an awesome suntan at the moment.
been indoors for about 12 days straight..will overload on sunscreen for sure!!!
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Farbz,
I've been going to G-land since the mid to late 80`s.
The place is fantastic & is only as heavy as you want it to be. You have so many options to this wave & moods. If you want to go hard then you will be given every opportunity to do so from Money trees down to Speedies :twisted:
If you get swell then the above options are very real. Big take offs with long long steep walls, high & tight barrels that suddenly go insanely hollow and fast. Nothing beats a full speed down the line "Speedies" barrel.
At the other end of these freight trains out at speedies you have Kongs!
This wave is in deeper water that is much softer and slower without the consequences. It can be a relief at times to go up to Kongs when the crowd gets too much. It offers heaps of sections & you can keep going further up the reef to find less people. Over the past years the place has exploded with crowds & all camps going to full capacity during peak season which is just pure ugly.
Without putting a damper on it Farbz the place will be crowded as you are going into the middle of peak season. Just time your surfs well, do the early to get the cobwebs off, the wind is not up and this is not good for G-Land as it needs a good trade wind to groom the walls but it is uncrowded usually early! then come in when for breaky whilst the masses head out in a line of circus elephants. Energise yourself then round two as the masses start thinking about lunch and coming in. Then round 3 late afternoon sessions can be epic when everyone wants to do the sunset drinks on the beach. The wind will be good with the sun setting giving amazing backlit waves.
If the waves get massive then you have 20/20's and a right on the other side of the channel that does not get surfed that much but can be very good. Then tiger tracks is way down the bay. If big waves are not your thing then tigers can give you sessions instead of watching from the tower others pulling into freight trains. Nothing epic about the place other than warm water, fun surfable waves that do still barrel and its different as its a right!
I hate that there is a boat that takes people out into the line-up these days and causes friction but that's another story. If you cant paddle out then you shouldn't be out! Sorry that's my thoughts.
So there is a boat that will drop you out in the line up if you choose or there is a channel that you will see people using up around the points towards kongs. Its between kongs and Moneytrees, it does not look like much from the shore but the further you paddle out the more you realise you are being swept out like a rip between the breaks i mentioned. Most times this works and all it takes is a little common knowledge. If it all goes wrong enjoy the ride down the reef :lol: We have all done a lap of G-land :lol:
Tides are a big thing Farbz. Mid to High tide is the time to surf the best conditions but also bring the crowds. The paddle out is a very different experience at low tide and also when coming in. The walk can be very painfull on your feet if luck has it you just pick a sh*t part of the reef you come in over. Low tide takes speedies out of the picture and focuses on Moneytrees & Kongs. This day and age people have named every inch of the flipping reef but the fact is the wave is broken into 3 waves. Kongs, Moneytrees & speedies. Launching pads is another plus as i said I'm sure 10 more named spots now. What ever :roll:
The boat from Bali to G-land. Sit at the back of the boat & dont be fooled by everyone wanting to go inside the cabin of the boat because of the padded seats!! they are padded for a reason & its quite funny watching them bounce for the whole flipping trip over. If you have the time do the old school way back to Bali. Its a cool experience.
Don't feel intimidated by the looks as a new comer to camp. 3 days later you will be one of those people eyeing out the new comers thinking dam newbies :lol:
Enjoy the place, the food, the waves.
G-land still is a great place but off season is the time :shock:
SF
farbz

Post by farbz »

thanks Simon...great stuff.

had to laugh at the newbie comment...already picture my poor lilly white excuse for a body limping into the joint.

Done a fair bit of time on boats and know what you mean.
I am expecting the boat trip to be a bit bumpy.
I will be outside and at the back of the boat ...as always...with half a travacalm down my gullet.

cheers
Farbz.