Kiwi coming to Melbourne

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Howard Lorney
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Kiwi coming to Melbourne

Post by Howard Lorney »

Going to be in Melbourne area from 7th November for a week then heading to Adelaide for a week.

It's actually Mary's 50th Birthday and I'm not bringing my board. Oh dear how sad.

No worries mate, only one thing to do, order a new one from Bruce and get him to ship it to Melbourne and I'll test drive it before I take it home.

I'll only get a few opportunities to surf and it'll be midweek but I intend to make the most of it when I can so anyone who's keen let me know.
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
MJ

Post by MJ »

Hi Howard. If you can get in a couple of days earlier KSV is having its last comp for the year on Saturday 5th November at the Island.

During the week it's crack of dawn, before work, early ones for me.
red
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

Hey Howard,
Drop us a line and we can catch up for a "coffee" if you have time. I can also point you at hidden delights of Melbourne like Gog and Magog :-) Actually Cherry bar in AC DC lane is more my style.

Chances are I'll get a surf in that week. I'm in Melbourne, so easy to connect for a lift.
There are always boards lying around if you don't get one sorted. (Having snapped almost all my boards, I don't actually have any "newish" boards, but anticipate cutting a few before then on my machine)

Red
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

Thanks MJ.
I have a family reunion in Taranaki on the 5th and 6th so cant get away till the 7th otherwise that would have been a good idea.

Are you down Philip Island way?

kneed for speed
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

Red, always on for a good coffee and some local knowledge.

My daughter is in Melbourne at the moment and my son is coming over with us so we'll be catching up with her while there. She's working somewhere around St Kilda.

If the surfs up, I'm keen and I'll be trying out my new Flashpoint

Cheers
Howard

kneed for speed
MJ

Post by MJ »

Thats a shame Howard, was just an idea.

I live on the Mornington Peninsula. If your heading down let me know.
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

PM me with your contact phone and I'll give you you a yell if the surfs up and I can drag myself out of bed early enough.

kneed for speed
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

:idea: If you're going on a surf trip, go on a surf trip. Leave the family somewhere else(unless they surf of course).

If you're going on a family holiday, go on a family holiday. Enjoy, have fun.

AND WE DID HAVE FUN :D , GOT THE PHOTOS TO PROVE IT.

Had a great trip and re-learnt a valuable lesson and keep reminding myself that it was my wifes 50th and a family trip with my son and to catch up with my daughter in Melbourne and sister and her family in Adelaide. And that I was probably very lucky to have been able to pick up a new board while there and sneak in one surf last Friday before we left. Met a kneelo at Winkis called Ian with a Yellow Parkes quad(nice looking board) and saw two others in the water near Lorne.

Man you guys have got a big country :shock: , 733kms Melbourne to Adelaide, 9 1/2 hours driving in one day. Then return trip another day Adelaide to Lorne in 10 1/2hrs. Spent a week in Melbourne and Geez it takes forever to go anywhere and do anything. Took an hour and half to go from Sth Yarra to Dandenongs, 2 hours to get to Torquay, 40 minutes to get from Darling St to Bridge Rd, could have walked it quicker :evil: ( should have)

I think you just like to try and do things bigger and better than your Kiwi cousins. BIG city, Big markets, big roads, big crowds, big numbers of people some with big smiles, big temperatures (got to 37 degrees) big birds, big farms, cops have big guns, s*&^ even the road kill is big, Saw four dead Kangaroos on our travels, biggest roadkill we get here is the possum. Didn't see any over there cause you swerve to miss them cos you love them so much :roll: . Had hoped for the big surf but it was small.

Next time I'm in your lovely BIG country it'll be for a genuine surf trip and it should be next year(unless we go to Indo)

kneed for speed
MJ

Post by MJ »

And after all that it's still ranked as the worlds most liveable city. :D