Hello California!

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

andyw
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Location: Sydney, AUS hailing from Mornington Peninsula, Australia.

San Diego to LA!

Post by andyw »

Hello all,
I'm heading north from San Diego today after a couple of days exploring the city and enjoying the sun. Thought I'd pop up the itinerary. I'll be in San Elijo State park tonight, Doheny State beach on Thursday night, and I'll be continuing north after that. Hope to catch some kneelos along the way,
Cheers, Andy.
C.P.Odom
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by C.P.Odom »

Evan and I will try and make it down to the campground this arvo.
Never leave well enough alone.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Andy;
Missed you at the caravan park today. Will try tomorrow.
gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by gogglefog »

Happened to bump into Andy in the Swami's parking lot yesterday. Loaned him an airmat and we had a great mat session in waist high waves - the crowd was as light as it will get at Swami's.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

I can stop by the Swamies car park on Friday. Anytime by noon.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Surfed with Andy at Swamies today. Loaned him a board and wetsuit. Googlefrog showed up as well on his inflatable rag.
andyw

Hello kneelos.

Post by andyw »

G'day,
It's been a while, but in my defence it's been beautiful sunny weather, so I have kinda been avoiding the computer as much as possible, and also I came down with a cold (in Summer! How does THAT happen?!?) and was laid up in bed for a day. Anyway, I'm back at it now, and with only a little time left in the States. I met up with some English friends of mine in San Elijo state park and spent a couple of days riding stand up with those lads at a little reef right in front of our campground. The waves were small, but clean and you really can't complain when the water is only a hop, skip and a jump away. On the second day at San Elijo I had a morning surf with the lads, then headed up to Swamii's (if I spelt it wrong I apologise) to have a look around. I was wearing my KSUSA cap that Bob was kind enough to give me, and John recognised me and the hat from Fredo's InNout photo (by the way, I found another InNout on the PCH in Long Beach, ooohh, yeah!) and offered me a lend of his surf mat. I haven't ridden one in a few years, but they're not exactly the most difficult craft to re-learn and John and I had a blast! I can't beleive how many comments I got on the mat, and all positive. Perfect craft for small swammiies. We snuck off after for a couple of quiet beers (Thank's John!). A great day. And the next day was even better! I surfed with the lads again in the morning, Then Curtis showed up at my campground on his old-school racing bike (putting my poor bike to shame) so we headed up to Swammie's for a kneelo sesh and it had picked up a little fom the day before! It was still a little small for anything spectacular, but it was a bit of fun and I'm always stoked to be on a kneelo. Thank's Curtis, I was stoked to be on a 6' thruster again! Curtis had to take off, so I was just heading in when John paddled out on a surfmat again and despite having a 50 mile ride ahead of me, I decided I WOULD have a third surf anyway, so in to the beach, up the steps, change wetties and back out (making John do extra steps for the day, sorry mate) for some more surfmat fun. Needless to say, I was knackered, but on I rode. I got as far as Oceanside, but I was worn right out, so I cheated and took the train through pendelton to San Clemente, then did the short stint to Doheny state beach for the night. Whew! I continued north the following morning, hoping to catch up with the Newport/Huntington guys, but due to not having a cell and being on a bike, I had to keep going and find a place to crash, and it wasn't until Venice Beach that I found a hostel with a bed! Fortunately some friends I'd met in San Diego were there, so after a good night there I went back to Hermosa, where I have been ever since, hanging out on the beach and relaxing(also this is where I got my cold!). Funny thing happened on the beach yeterday. I saw a kneelo on the beach, so went and introduced myself, and Wes knew me from the site, so that was cool, unfortunately he was getting out of the water when I first saw him, so I can't give you a report on his waves, but he had a big grin on so I guess he got some good ones! So that's what's been going on. I'm flying out on LA on the 15th, so now I've gotta figure out what to do until then(no more bike riding, I've had enough!) I'm thinking Vegas on Monday for one last hurrah!
Enjoy the waves,
Andy.
jamie

Post by jamie »

Hey Andy,
thanks for the travel log. Its being fun tracking your travels and stoked that the site has helped hook you up with kneelos from all over. I am sure that was one of the original goals of Don and his sf OB surf buddy Bob way back when, and its great that Joe has continued the stoke so we all benefit.
Jamie
crox

Post by crox »

jamie wrote:Hey Andy,
thanks for the travel log. Its being fun tracking your travels and stoked that the site has helped hook you up with kneelos from all over. I am sure that was one of the original goals of Don and his sf OB surf buddy Bob way back when, and its great that Joe has continued the stoke so we all benefit.
Spot on :D
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Hey Andy
Thanks for the update. Such a pleasure to link up with you for our little surf. Frankly, best waves I've had in weeks -the winds have been brutal...
Have a great trip back and get tubed in Vanuatu!!
P.S. Be a good boy in Vegas... :shock:
andyw

I'm Home!

Post by andyw »

Hey Everyone.
Thank you to everyone who made my west coast adventure so much fun. I'm back home now, it's freezing cold, I didn't get any waves in Vanuatu coz I slept in till the trade-winds blew, so now I'm heading to the beachies to see if ANYTHING is about!
Cheers,
Andy.
red

Post by red »

Welcome home, Andy.
We laid on a bit of sun (not much, I agree) and offshores for you, but asking for swell as well is a bit much!
There are some crayfish at Meanos that are dying to see you again ;-)
Kev

Post by Kev »

you're back !!!!
:shock:
yes Welcome Home
andyw

Meanoes

Post by andyw »

Tubed at Meanoes for the first time in 2 and a bit years yesterday. Tide was dropping and the step was doing it's thing and I slotted in just where I'd left off. Stoked!
MJ

Post by MJ »

Welcome home Andy. Think we crossed paths on your paddle out yesterday.
Saw you catch one.
Not a bad welcome home swell on Saturday.