Samarinda, Borneo

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

feralmick
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Samarinda, Borneo

Post by feralmick »

G`day folks, contemplating a trip to Samainda in Borneo this November for a martial arts tournament. Would be nice to combine it with a surf trip.
Anyone been to this region?
I`ve never been to Asia, looks like there`s a connecting flight from Brisbane via Jakarta.
tomway

Post by tomway »

Hi Mick
Borneo, now you're asking!! Whether there is or not waves there, you would have your work cut out for you looking for them :lol:

If you have a connecting flight back through jakarta your best bet would be to sniff out waves in West Java. If you PM docturbo on here he might be able to point you in the right direction. Some great surf around there and lots of known spots with varying crowd levels.

Good luck!
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

Thanks Tom, apparently there are waves in North & North East Borneo, don`t know about the rest of the place. Long way from Samarinda but still worth checking out if possible.
Doc Turbo

Borneo

Post by Doc Turbo »

Mick,

Samarinda to the Northern Coast of Borneo, that would be an incredible trip. I don't know of anyone ever exploring there at all. Samarinda I know, pretty scruffy city not far (1 hour or so by car from Balikpapan).

Travel in Indonesia is a factor of time usually, so if you have the time, then you can see or do much.

November is coming on the Wet Season in Java, but in West Java you could get some waves, and if the timing is right, could join up with you

I live now in the mountains outside of Bogor, about 45 km out of Jakarta.

email me at

s.jamesbooth@gmail.com.

Post by feralmick »

Thanks Doc and Tom, plans on hold due to health reasons so havn`t looked in to it much.
Still a few months away though, and i`d love to do more exploring before the body gets too old.
How feasible is travelling around West Java during the wet season?
skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by skansand »

Dont know about waves but Borneo is the one place in the world you can eat a red-fleshed pineapple ! and drink soju or rice wine straight from the earth...(they ferment it in the ground and sip it from a straw right there!) ... and theres a banjo -like instrument there I want to get one day.... 8) Good luck on the surf and the ass-kickin!
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon