Coming to America

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Sparrow
Legend (Contribution King!)

Coming to America

Post by Sparrow »

Hoping to get a small window of opportunity to meet a few people whilst in America in 26 days time.
My family and I have planned a bit of a touristy road trip on the west coast for approx. 5 weeks and some where in amongst all the sites Im hoping to get a wave or two with a few old friends and new.
Im arriving ahead of the family for a organised week trip to Mexico surfing then back to LA for a fun time touring around the place HB, Anaheim, SD, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument valley, Page, Bryce, Yosemite, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and back along the coast road towards LA again.
Anyway, hoping to meet up with a few opportunities at HB or maybe Newport area and SD or SF.
Its going to be tight to find time to surf but looking forward to it at least getting the chance.

Simon
Jeff
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jeff »

Simon

If your going to surf around LA would love to hook up and surf we have a few spots around here to surf.

Jeff
wanderer
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by wanderer »

My wife & I just did the similar thing from aust & had a ball
Driving a mustang convertible lax las Vegas death valley Yosemite Monterey & the big sur drive will give your neck a work out as everywhere you look its a national geographic photo shot
great people great driving country you will have a ball :D 8)
scott
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

Sounds like a great trip. I know Wanderer had a fantastic time when he brought his wife over and made a similar trip.
If not much time for surf, there's several of our crew in the HB/Newport area who know how to put on a pretty good BBQ for the whole family to enjoy!
Let us know when you'll be in town. JTand I are looking forward to meeting you and your family.

Amanda and Joe Taylor
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

hey simon we will be looking forward to seeing you and your family on this side of the pond
you'll be here just when all the kids are going back to school a great time to sightsee and surf
maybe we'll see you at the cove
or southside HB
tom
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Too bad your not traveling further north. But then again, upon seeing Oregon, all else would pale in comparison :wink:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Actually Jerry's right! 8) :lol: Having just spent some time up in Portland I am stoked have gotten a glimpse of the beauty of the NW.

Looking forward to seeing you Simon! Hopefully you get some surf in your travels 8)
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Thanks guys for the replies.
Bec & I have been planning this family trip for a few years now and really want our kids especially to experience what this part of your country has to offer.
We have sat down for who knows how many nights planning things to do & places to see over 5 weeks. Its been so hard having to say no to places we really wanted to go to but due to either distance or time it has to be missed. We hope to do as much as possible in the 5 weeks and also fit in time to meet as many people as possible as we move around.
I know some of my close friends are organising little gatherings and dinners etc in between our schedule so hopefully we will get to share this holiday with you.
We are going to be the full on Griswolds/ Robin Williams in RV/meet the Fokers all thrown into one :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KovDEIah2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZXAB-RdbI

Meeting the Farrer's may not be as good as you hope :lol:
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Simon;
You have picked some very nice places to visit and you are coming at the best possible time of the year. The Grand Canyon is unreal, Utah is spectacular, Yosemite is the center of the universe. Who knows you might even score some great south swells.

I hope we get to see you, Evan would be stoked to have a surf with you at his local.
Never leave well enough alone.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hi Simon,

Let me know more about the SF leg: when, how long, route in/out, equipment you need, etc.

(Recommend slipping your visit here to 'as late as possible' given how close you are to Fall surf)

I'll bet you're already connected in with Don, and I'll call him to triangulate...

Cheers,
Bob
maxb

Post by maxb »

Well Simon, maybe we will get lucky (marginal summer so far) and we will get a good south so you can give Wedge a go and report back to your mates.
Max
kbing newport
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Hi Bob,
We are staying in Yosemite for a few days before coming to San Francisco.
We should? be in town around the 3rd, 4th & 5th of October.
Things we want to do are the Muir woods, Golden gate bridge, Alcatraz, Napa Valley, surf, plus other attractions. Do you have any in mind worth doing Bob? I think we are staying in some RV park over the Nth side of the Bay and catching a ferry across to town.
Im pretty sure Bec will be booking a trip to the rock so as we dont miss out this time. We tried in the summer of 96 and it was booked out for over a week. This is one of the only things we are pre booking on the trip so we have to be in town at that time. Its going to be interesting seeing if we will be on track or way behind our schedule as this is coming towards the last week of our trip.
I have everything i need as far as surfing goes. Actually will the water be cold? Im going to Mexico 1st (no wetsuit) then LA/SD (shortarm Steamer).
San Fran???? will a short arm be possible?
Yes, we have been talking with Don & Bonny and have all intentions of visiting but again it will depend on how we have travelled prior to SF (ahead or behind schedule) Its our sons "Noah" 6th B`day on the 6th Oct and we were looking at being in Santa cruz for that and on our way to Barry & Jodies place. So we will just see.
Ive been given a pass to surf from Bec whilst in SF so I would love to catch up Bob for a splash/pounding/relentless duckdive or worst scenario if flat you can show me where it normally breaks :roll:
Go easy on me as I wont have seen the ocean since leaving SD at the start of the trip.
SF
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Max,
I have only one memory of the Wedge. Wayne Kopit took me to see a few sites in 96 whilst i was staying with him and one of those was the wedge.
I did not have my board with me so i was a spectator.
It is a memory i still have to this day. It was a perfect day, not that many people out, sunny, offshore, 4-6ft and very makable. It didnt seem to be shutting down as it seems to do with most of the footage ive seen.
The memory that has stuck was Ron being in the water with another kneelo (bull, bulldog, Bill ?)
This other kneelo got a classic cross wave from the wall which swept him perfectly towards back dooring the wedge when Ron took off (i wont say dropped in :lol:) really late on the wedge. It was heavy! It looked like they hit as the lip through over both of them with such intensity.
It looked like pipe! Anyway a couple of long seconds later out pops Ron to a cheer on the beach. He was going so fast and ejected off the back into a huge dive.
The best moment happened a second or so after that, this other kneelo came out with the spit just as the wave exploded onto the sand. It was absolutely crazy that this guy made it. A double kneelo barrell out the wedge! Cant say ive seen that anywhere else :wink:
Either way Max, I would love to get a hollow session in with you somewhere.
Not sure on the report back to your mates though :?

I was that amazed and keen to surf the place i came back the next day and it was as if the day before didnt exist. Onshore, smaller and a complete close out!
maxb

Post by maxb »

Simon the other kneelo was Bill Seiler,he and Ron did stuff like that often. Sometimes Bill in front sometimes Ron.
Shape has been way off this year. We will keep our fingers crossed.
Sure you and the family will have a great trip.
The area in Mex you are going to is pretty unreal.
Max
kbing newport
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

:lol: @ go easy on you!

Me thinks you're pretty dialed in...

Those dates are decent for surf. As the dates approach and you're coming in, we can refine best bets for surf.

Up here, water will be as warm as it gets... around 60F +/-.
However, a bit of predecessor upwelling, and it'll be colder.
I have spare 4/3s if you run Large or so (5'11" 180-185lbs.)

That sight-seeing list is good, particularly given the time you're here and where you're staying. My next suggestion is a family/crew get-together.

As you say, a lot will develop as it goes. Let's keep in touch as this evolves.