Going North Shore

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Going North Shore

Post by Scott »

I'll be on Oahu in a few weeks, Feb. 15 - 20. Anyone also there at that time who'd like to hook up for a surf. The forecast looks pretty promising for those days!

Then I'll be on Maui from 2/21 - 2/24, but without a board. Anyone I can join up with there during those dates?

Aloha!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Best of luck, Scott! I wish you good waves (and few wipeouts) while you're visiting surfing's "proving grounds." Considering the massive swell I'm sure you just paddled out in up in SF during Ocean Beach's day-in-the-sun, I have no reason to believe you won't be turning heads. Have fun!!!
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
Scott

Post by Scott »

Thanks, BROTHA. Actually, I didn't paddle out on that massive day at OB, as I was down at the KSUSA contest that day. Don't know if I would have paddled out there either, to be honest, unless I had EQ or Don Harris or Phil Curtiss also there egging me on and going out with me. Too tempting to settle for something sizable but a bit more manageable in Santa Cruz.

That being said, I hope for at least one good session at Sunset Beach. I have a 6'3" Blast gun I stored on the island that rides it pretty well. SB is probably the about most exciting wave I've surfed in terms of the thrill and the power, and maneuvering around such a large playing field.

I also have a new board (for smaller waves) on order with Bud and I hope to pick it up that week! :D
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Wow!! You're going to da islands AND picking up a new Blast!!!?
My dream wish come true!!
Fossil Man
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Fossil Man »

Alfredo, that's just the standard '' Aloha Greeting Package '' for arriving kneelos in Oahu; when you come down the jetway they hang a flower lei on you and hand you a Blast...very cool !
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Scott wrote:Thanks, BROTHA. Actually, I didn't paddle out on that massive day at OB, as I was down at the KSUSA contest that day. Don't know if I would have paddled out there either, to be honest, unless I had EQ or Don Harris or Phil Curtiss also there egging me on and going out with me. Too tempting to settle for something sizable but a bit more manageable in Santa Cruz.

That being said, I hope for at least one good session at Sunset Beach. I have a 6'3" Blast gun I stored on the island that rides it pretty well. SB is probably the about most exciting wave I've surfed in terms of the thrill and the power, and maneuvering around such a large playing field.

I also have a new board (for smaller waves) on order with Bud and I hope to pick it up that week! :D
I feel you Scott! That day at OB was hectic. If I had been there, I would have been pissing myself. It definitely would have taken some goading from friends to get me to even consider chancing it. OB looks like a standard almond-shaped barrel from shore, but I know from all of the stories told about OB that it's one of the heaviest waves in California. A long, brutal paddle, huge roaming peaks that pop up all over the place, and a lack of channels makes for a life-threatening experience. Nor Cal is no joke; SoCal usually just gets remnants of swells that slam Washington/Oregon/Northern CA. I imagine Santa Cruz had some incredibly fun, wedgy peaks for mere mortals!

And that's awesome that you've got a gun stored, ready for usage at Sunset Beach. I have to admit, I used to dream of getting a good wave at Pipeline on my bodyboard. Now that I know how brutal slabbing waves in California can be (firsthand experience will open your eyes!) I don't really want to paddle out at Pipe. I'd love to surf out there, but the risk of injury scares me. However, Sunset Beach looks like somewhere I might potential venture out at. The playing field there is just as scary as Ocean Beach, if not more--the "roaming peaks" issue comes into play again. However, it's more a deep-water wave (until it hits the Inside Bowl), so I think it might be fun. Incredibly gnarly, and still very risky--but it's a challenge that I might actually try to attempt some day. Swimming in without a board in Sunset's infamous rip would definitely suck--but getting a wave out there would be an amazing accomplishment.

I hope you get that wave you're looking for at Sunset, Scott! Enjoy your new Blast. I'm looking forward to getting a custom Blast someday, if I don't decide to attempt to shape my own kneeboards instead.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
stonefish

Post by stonefish »

Enjoy! i had the pleasure of kneeriding Sunset along time ago and it was heavy....i remember the chop being a issue, alot of just hanging on for dear life! then it took three attempts to get back on shore as i did the complete cycle of getting drug all the way back out, i was exhausted....
hey dont miss out on Maui get a board for Honolua ,a real dream ride!
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Wow, I didn't realize the rip at sunset was so hard to elude when coming in , that sounds like a heck of a workout.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Bud

Post by Bud »

chop being a issue, a lot of just hanging on for dear life!
We solved that problem a long time ago.

[albumimg]2481[/albumimg]
Next time, get a board that works well in Hawaii from people who have real world experience actually surfing them.
You could easily catch the ride of your life, have so much fun doing it, that you'll be stoked to go get more great waves.

http://www.blastsurfdesigns.com/blast-b ... neeboards/
then it took three attempts to get back on shore as i did the complete cycle of getting drug all the way back out, i was exhausted....
Wow, I didn't realize the rip at sunset was so hard to elude when coming in , that sounds like a heck of a workout.
When coming in from Sunset, stay close to and "hug" the soup-line. As you near the shore, pay attention to the rights breaking along the edge of the near shore reef ("Val's"). Wait until there's a lull in the waves and scratch in on the back of a surge. As you cross over the end of said reef, cut hard left. That should take you into the shallow sand bottom area between the reef and shoreline. There will be little or no shore break and you can exit the water with in a dignified manner, even with flippers on.
Trying to get in mid beach is a humbling / embarrassing ordeal.
Bruzer
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Bruzer »

Alfredo & Fossil Man:

Blast Aloha Packages have also been known to show up on Outer Garden Isles, no leis with FedEx, boo!, but 40 minutes later a new Y2K gets its first test spin @ A*(& D#%^* w/ one other surfer out! That board is still the best I've ever had for the type waves Buddy designed it for.
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

I second that, Bud's Y2K's are outstanding boards. I still gotta try the Controller fin set-up with it, some of the Cove Crew have said it really makes that board go ballistic