My Indo surf log

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

My Indo surf log

Post by Tom Linn »

Check out my surf log from my recent trip to Indo especially day 8 thru 15. Also thanks to the Legless TV crew for the piece they posted on the trip.

30 hours of travel. Met by Paul Duquet at the Bali airport.
Day 1. Ulu 2-4 fun, crowded. Perfecto meter- 5, Stokometer 5

Day 2- Nusa Dua. 6-8 good. No one out, Perfecto meter- 5.5, Stokometer 7

Day 3- Ulu. 2-4 fun. Racetracks super fun, crowded, Perfecto meter- 6, Stokometer 7

Day 4- didn't, surf

Day 5- Ulu/Temples. 3-5 good, 8 guys out, Perfecto meter-6, Stokometer 6

Day 6 travel to Sumatra, boarded the Samudra Biru, start of the boat trip

Day 7/1- 1-2 Crodiles, no one out, fun, Perfecto meter- 3. Stokometer 3

Day 8/2- Geenbush 6-7 faces closed out left barrels over swallow reef. No one out. Ate s*&^ on some of the bigger waves. Perfecto meter- 5. Stokometer 3

2 afternoon sessions at Rags Left. No one out, 8-10ft faces perfect Indo peelers, biggest waves DOH. . Amazing color and perfection as the day went on. Machine like, dreamy. Kneeboard was going Mach 4. Epic!! Perfecto meter- 8.5, Stokometer 9.5

Day 9/3- Roxy's Right up to head high, fun jammers, 10 guys out. Perfecto meter- 6, Stokometer 2

Afternoon session at Thunders 8-10ft faces, biggest waves DOH. Amazing Indo perfection. More powerful, way faster and more perfect than home. Machine like, dreamy. Similar left to Rags .Left. Surfed for hours until I cramped up. 8-20 guys out. Lots a barrels. Epic!! Perfecto meter- 9, Stokometer 9.5

Day 10/4- more Thunders. 4-7ft faces. 5-15 guys out. More dreamy Perfection, but smaller and more manageable. Rippable with barrels. Surfed all day at Thunders. Epic!! Perfecto meter- 8.5, Stokometer 8

Day 11/5 more Thunders, 4-6 ft. A little softer 8-15 guys out. Perfecto meter- 7.5, Stokometer 5

Day 12/6. Thunders AM session. A little bigger at 4-7 ft. Biggest waves 3-4 ft OH. Perfecto meter- 8, Stokometer 8. 5-10 guys out

At this point our captain moved us to the very southern tip of the island chain,"the Hajji zone". No other boats in the Hajji zone.

Motts PM session, 4-6 ft faces. Soft, poor shape. Perfecto meter- 4, Stokometer 2. No one out.

Day 13/7. Hole Am session, 2-5 ft faces, swallow reef barrels, Perfecto meter- 8, Stokometer 3. Too shallow. Only our boat.

Lighthouse Right midday and PM sessions. 6-10 ft faces. Biggest waves DOH. Perfect winds, 300 yd rides. Like the ultimate perfect day at Uppers. Got some mackers! Turquoise Indo barrels gradually turning into rip able walls then barreling again on the inside. Perfecto meter- 9.2, Stokometer 9.8. Only our boat until mid afternoon when Mark Daly and thr Indies Trader III joined us.

Day 14/8. Motts right in the morning. 3-5 ft faces funky. Perfecto meter- 3, Stokometer 2. No one out.

Lighthouse right in the midday. Same as yesterday but blew out early. Perfecto meter- 9.2 Stokometer 9. No one out

Motts left in the evening, 150 yd rides, 3-5 ft faces, super clean and fun. Plenty deep. Perfecto meter- 8, Stokometer 7. No one out.

Day 15/9. Still in the Hajji Zone. Only us and the Indie Trader III in this area for the last 3 days versus the numerous boats we saw in the Thunders/ Maca area.

No name Shipwreaks in the AM- 2-4 ft shifty lefts ,Perfecto meter- 5, Stokometer 3.5. No one out.

The Hole at low tide. 4-7 ft amazing perfect left barrels charging along super shallow reef. Mike scored incredible barrels. Perfecto meter- 10, Stokometer 10 ( if you have balls and skill like Mike ), puckermeter 10, 6 guys out of two boats paddled out, only three guys caught waves.

Motts in PM, 3-5 ft super clean speedy lefts. Perfecto meter- 7, Stokometer 6. No one out.

Day 16/10, last day- Maccas 3-5 ft with a little on shore wind. 10-20 guys out. Perfecto meter- 7, Stokometer 4

60 hours to get home via boats, planes and a night in Singapore.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Stoked for you Tom! Thanks for sharing the details of your great trip and for posting the pics.
Envymeter 10 8) :D
Last edited by southpeakbrad on Tue May 21, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Wow, sounds fantastic, Tom. So many days of varied and super high quality surf. Who was with you on this trip?
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
We surfed the area you did back in 2009. We scored the Hole and Thunders too. :D
NOTHING compares to a Mentawais boat trip!
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Scott- I went with 5 guys from my local break, Salt Creek, and five guys from San Diego.

Brad- took me awhile to figure out but your enviometer was pretty funny

Wayne- what was the Hole like when you were there? That place is gnarly!

When do we all go again??!!