Indonesia in September

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Indonesia in September

Post by gogglefog »

All,
I was going to go to South Africa as a retirement gift to myself next September but I 've changed plans since I have to be in Hong Kong for a wedding then.

It's only an extra $200 to fly to Bali from Hong Kong, so I guess I'll put off SA for a year and do Indonesia this year.

Sounds like Bali will be a jumping off point.

Any tips for boat trips?

Anyone been to Kandui Surf Camp?

Should I get travelers insurance?

Malaria pills?

Thanks, John
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

G I have only been once, but had a taste of the camp life. I would much rather be on a boat for two weeks. Less crowds, no bugs. Get on a small boat with less than 10 people so you don't have a portable crowd along. You get to surf a lot of spots on a boat.
You would only be in town for a couple days, so you could just use mozzie spray and risk malaria, up to you, but there are no bugs on the boats. 8)
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
sarj
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by sarj »

Kandui is a must-do trip. Been there twice and it can't be beat... period. I haven't been back since they opened the second place on the island, but I would go to the original again in a heartbeat. Ray knows his way around the islands with the swell & the winds, and you will always get waves. I might do a short notice trip this late spring if one pops up. I've wanted to go back, but for all the travel getting in there from here, I'd like to combine a stay at Kandui with a boat trip if I were planning it. 11 days on the island goes by in a blink, and you'll get waves everyday. gooooooooood waves.
sarj

Post by sarj »

and make sure to plan ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjkv29Y5NhE
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

Thanks boys, for the advice and the video!

Looks like I might have to do a boat trip then stay at the camp
:lol: :lol:

it is a retirement trip after all!!!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Congrats G. 8) Our boat broke going out to the islands, so we stayed at a camp resort for a couple days. Mozzies and had to take a boat to the local spots. Loved finally getting on the catamaran sailboat. Ate like kings, surfed all over the Mento's. I saw waves break in three different directions in one spot. Best bang for your buck. 8)
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
maxb

Post by maxb »

I definitely agree with Mike, the boat is best , make sure you spend a coule extra bucks and get on a fast boat, you will be happy you did. Check with Waterways , they can dial it all in for you.
Max
kbing newport
MJ

Post by MJ »

If you've got the bucks for a boat check out:

http://www.sumatransurfariis.com/

I understand they're very good.

If you want to save some dollars and surf with some Kneelos check out:

http://www.freelinesurf.com.au/surf-sou ... -indah.htm

We have a bunch of kneelos and families, including one American, who have booked out Damai Bungalows from 21 Sept 14 to 3 Oct 14 but we're now looking at the place next door, Ombak Indah Losmen, for others.

Either way you're unlikely to regret it but travel insurance is a must. You're a very long way from help.
Malaria on the boats isn't a huge issue, not sure about land.
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

Thanks again boys.

MJ, sounds like I might have to join you guys if possible! as of now, all I'm hearing from my brother is I have to be in Hong Kong sometime in September - it seems the non surf world has a different idea of long range planning!
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

gogglefog wrote:Thanks again boys.

MJ, sounds like I might have to join you guys if possible! as of now, all I'm hearing from my brother is I have to be in Hong Kong sometime in September - it seems the non surf world has a different idea of long range planning!

I am available as board caddy. I have some experience and references!
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Hey Gogglefog, the Waka club has done the same thing at Damai Bungalows & Freeline but miss out being with our good friends from Mexico .... err Victoria ... by about a week or two, the world should be just about ready to convert to the elite style of surfing on your knees by then LOL. If you can it'd be well worth linking up with MJ & crew (including Harvey McClendon from your neck of the woods), a good bunch they are.
Cheers Wolruss
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Hey Gogglefog, the Waka club has done the same thing at Damai Bungalows & Freeline but miss out being with our good friends from Mexico .... err Victoria ... by about a week or two, the world should be just about ready to convert to the elite style of surfing on your knees by then LOL. If you can it'd be well worth linking up with MJ & crew (including Harvey McClendon from your neck of the woods), a good bunch they are.
Cheers Wolruss
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Bugger i pressed the button twice.
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

I am available as board caddy. I have some experience and references!
Scott, maybe I can come out before the trip and help you harvest the cashews. That should free up a couple weeks for you to come too!
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

Cheers Wolruss
Russ, when are you guys going to be there? did you book the whole lot?