Wetsuit recommendations

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Fossil Man
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Wetsuit recommendations

Post by Fossil Man »

Finally back living on the mainland after seventeen years in Hawaii and need some wetsuit advise. Having gotten used to pretty warm water and air temps (and being a bit older too) everything is cold to me. Surfed the Cove friday and ''apartments'' on the north side sunday ( fun waves BTW ) in an old ill fitting wetsuit and froze my tail off. Want to keep it in the 3/2 mm so I don't loose any more mobility than I'm already getting used to. Was looking at the Oneil ''Heat'' and the Quicksilver ''Pyre''. Trying to avoid the crazy money suits that are up towards the $400-$500 mark if can. Any feedback on whats working well would be appreciated.
Thanks, Robert
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
kbk66
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by kbk66 »

Trestle outlet factory, its got ripcurl, always a good deal to be had
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

i know your pain! i got a bit of a shock with the so cal water temps when i moved to los angeles from sydney.

i only wear o'neil or ripcurl. for the past few years ive been wearing rip curl "dawn patrol", steamer and spring suit. they are great value for money. it seems to be their basic model.
if you haven't worn a wetty for a while, you'll be amazed at how good they are now -- every year they get better.
the chest zips will give you more mobility, but they can be a pain to get in and out.
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
KEL

Post by KEL »

The mobility issue between the 3/2 and 4/3 seem to be non existent these days with the quality of technology. With that said, froghouse always has great deals and quality suits. I like my quicksilver!
PES78

Post by PES78 »

o'neill has the super freak which runs around 200 for 3/2 and its a chest zip and that kept me plenty warm last winter.
southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

I've had several O'Neil Heats. A true "proven performer" for a very reasonable cost (especially since I got it on sale last Spring). I'm in a new 3/2 for this season and it's holding up well and has kept me warm. They've improved the neck at keeping water out which is nice BUT...water can still leak in. Doesn't make much difference in the overall but it would be nice to have a wetsuit that kept that water off my back like those front-zip suits do (they have the initial, inner part that pulls over your head and hugs your neck/back, then the suits zips shut over it).

Good luck!
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

How are the front zip suits for paddle mobility, they always looked to me like it would be weird and bulky to have that zipper right across the upper chest. Good referrals on the prices guys, I only had time to go to H.B. surf and sport in Seal Beach last weekend and they were running around mid two hundred for the Heat and slightly below two for the Quicksilver Pyre ( although we're admittedly not in the spring sale phase yet ). Forgot about Rip curl, they always used to fit me real well, have to check em out
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
C J Gagner

Post by C J Gagner »

There is no real mobility issue between a 3/2 and 4/3. I prefer a 4/3 in the winter as I am a bit of a sissy when it comes to cold water. I did the Hawaii to Cali thing in the 80s and that was much harder as the wetties back then felt like surfing in a straight jacket. Now the technology makes it so you really cant feel to much of a difference of stretch between the two.
Though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea!!!!
maxb

Post by maxb »

Go to Froghouse and ask what they have in the back room, last years suits at big discounts.
But ,you have to ask
Max
kbing newport
fishfinger

Post by fishfinger »

seshday.com has smoking deals from time to time...i have a excel 4/3 and 3/2 got em both for 99.00 each
Joe Taylor

Post by Joe Taylor »

Robert When did you and Nina get back and where are you guys living? Give me a call or Amanda I think I may be able to help you out in the wetsuit department.
frog

Post by frog »

I have use a Bodyglove Freedrive 5 mm for the winter an 3/2 O'Nell for the summer. The Freedrive are cheap I pick one up for $135.00 great suit for kneeboading and keep you toasting when the water is ciold! I got mind from Wetsuitwarehouse.com check it out.
Frog
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Xcel 3/2 with a layer of Hyperflex Poly fleece underneath does it for water down to high 40's here. The hyperflex adds warmth, cuts chafing, and seems to really help when there's a cold wind. I also use the Hyperflex poly socks and glove liners.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
K-man

Post by K-man »

I'd suggest trying on different brands in your size.They don't all fit the same.

cheers.
Tropical Jerry
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Tropical Jerry »

I'd suggest moving back to Hawaii :wink: