Damai Bungalows/Sumatra

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

MJ
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Damai Bungalows/Sumatra

Post by MJ »

We’ve had a withdrawal from our Damai Bungalows/Sumatra trip for later this year. This is bad news for Merv but is an opportunity for someone else. At the moment we have a crew of 12. The mix is 7 Kneelos, 1 foot boarder and 4 non-surfers. Two of the Kneelos are from San Diego the rest are from Melbourne. It’s a relatively cheap trip, although this will depend on your flights. Dates for the camp are 21 September 14 to 3 October 14. If you’re interested or would like further details send me a PM, check out the attached links or the latest ASL mag for a two page article.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Damai-Bu ... 28?fref=ts

http://www.damaibungalows.com/
SecoG
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

damai sumatra

Post by SecoG »

Check your PMs - would like info.
MJ

Post by MJ »

Sent you a PM.
halbs

Post by halbs »

Was in South Sumatra last year and spent time watching the AFL at Damai great group of crew and a nice part of Indonesia, not a perfect Indo wave and lots of surf camps but an interesting place and a cool vibe.
getting there is often as good as getting there
halbs

Post by halbs »

Some tips;
There are only two ATMs in Krui and both wouldn't accept mine or my mates cards, so take extra cash from Jakarta or Bandar Lampung.
If you didn't take heed of my first point and you need to go up the mountain to try the bigger communities ATMs {a crazy hour and half drive} make sure you do the Luwak coffee tasting whilst up there.
Do the drive up the coast to the other waves speccy and you might just score!
If it's really big be careful of the sweep when heading out and stay well away of "the cheese grater" reef!
Do the jungle tour we stayed at Ombak Indah who organised it but I'm sure Damai would as well.
If you hit the reef take a camera with you to the "doctors"!!
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

thanks for the tips halbs.

when you say bring a camera to the doctor, is it because she's beautiful?

did you get cut up at the wave out front? checking out the youtube videos of waves in the area and other places look a bit more shallow

how did you get around to the other breaks? car rental?
halbs

Post by halbs »

The doctor is quite pleasant looking however, the camera is for evidence to your friends and family that you were definitely in a country not as lucky as both yours and mine. The facilities could be described as basic - I was asked to lay on a wooden bench with a sheet already very bloody and then all of the crew from outside waiting to see the doctor came in to watch my face get stitched up - another Aussie hit his head on the reef earlier in the day and I'm reasonably sure I had sterile suture gear but the local may have been a "share" between he and I!!
The day I hurt myself was very big and I got hit by a wide one that smashed my 6'5" into my face in the whirlpool of white water. Krui waves {in the town} are cruisey the wave out the front is also user friendly but has some sections that can bring you undone, obviously when it's got some size it's a bit more critical - I was surfing badly as I had had a knee op {unplanned} 5 weeks prior and couldn't bend my knee which made bottom turns a worry!
You will enjoy the area it's got a good vibe and take a car up north for some trips!