Wild Coast - South Africa

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

TimM
Local (More than 25 post)

Wild Coast - South Africa

Post by TimM »

I have a house on the Wild Coast which is situated between Durban and J-Bay that I want to start taking small groups of surfers and family groups to next year. I am based near East London which is about 250kms from the house so I am looking at taking trips from there.. For a rate per day I will provide transport, accommodation, all the food and be a guide in this still very unspoilt rural area.

The break is a very good quality point right-hand point break which has a rock/sand bottom and is, in my opinion, in the top five right- hand points in South Africa. There are no backpackers or camps here and as it is in a national nature reserve camping is illegal so if you aren't staying at one of the houses its very difficult to surf there without taking a very long and tiring day-trip on dirt-roads. Consequently crowding is definitely not an issue. In fact if the trip is outside of school holidays here I can almost guarantee it will just be myself and whoever I take with me..

I built the house three years back and the accommodation is topnotch, seafood is plentiful and the natural beauty is incredible. Fishing is also good..

I don't want to put pics up on a public domain so please let me know if you may be interested and I'll send you some privately. I am not doing this for huge financial gain, my main motivation is to be able to spend more time there myself in the months (May through July) when business in my main vocation (events) pretty much dies. The maximum I can take is four people plus myself in my vehicle so that is my limit. If you happen to be in J-Bay on a trip at the time I can collect you.

Being a kneelo I would love to take a group of fellow kneeriders there, when the sand is packed properly it can be a super hollow wave and ideal for kneeboarding.

Anyway I just thought I'd put it out there.. Send me a PM or preferably an email at tkfootprint@iafrica.com if you want some pics but I am wanting to keep this low key out of respect to other guys who have places there..

Cheers

Tim
randiego
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by randiego »

Wow Tim - great post! What an amazing one of a kind trip you are offering.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

that does sound really good. i want to visit!

here's a very amusing story from another forum (realsurf, australia) of surfing that stretch of coast. the quality and abundance of waves make the place seem very attractive:
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=27793
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
Bruzer
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

realsurf.com viewtopic about Suid Africa

Post by Bruzer »

Lefty,

Thanks heaps for the link to the multi-post story on realsurf. I had the excellent luck to surf J-Bay with everyone mentioned in the stories by mentone mansion. Quite the crew at The Atlantis, including 4 kneelos: Reverend Peter Hosking, Bill, an AAir bagsmasher and nearby city councilman who's been great for the South Bay coastline, Saffa Ian, and me. Sunset presented a conundrum - catch the last waves before dark + an icy shower, or skip the last wave or two and sprint back for warm to lukewarm water in the communal shower. Rev. Peter was an amazing tuberider on his Gravelle twinnies, Bill got some deep throaty ones at Albatross and Supers before his back spasm'ed out. Later in the J-Bay stay, P Wuslich caught some great early spring days at Supers.

The next year on an Oz/Indo trip I took the bus across the Nullarbor Plain from Perth to So. Oz, stumbled off bleary-eyed near Cactus, lo and behold, Jonno from The Atlantis was hoping someone would get off and free up a bus seat. Perfect trade - we swapped my bus seat for his tent site. Still in close touch with mates from those two trips.
TimM

Post by TimM »

Thanks guys..

That post on Realsurf was a great read and I've forwarded it onto some friends down in JBay who will definitely enjoy reminiscing about those days.. At least the surf in JBay is just as good as it always was. I traveled down to watch the final day of the ASP contest there last month and it can be mesmerizing when its firing like that, incredible wave!

The points in the Transkei work on slightly different conditions to JBay and don't handle as much swell or wind generally and are best before and after the fronts that JBay loves and the landbreezes are blowing whereas JBay (Supers especially) loves the big SW swells and pumping offshores that come up with the fronts.. Basically if there is a window in JBay when its flat there is a good chance that there will be good waves up the coast during that time

There are a couple of vids floating around in cyberspace of the spot that I didn't film so i guess posting the links is fine so check them out..

http://vimeo.com/100652582

http://vimeo.com/99521358
TimM

Post by TimM »

Instagram is my first foray into the social media world.. if you search for #tkfootprint there are a few pics of the waves and place too.

Cheers

Tim
lukeventer

Re: Wild Coast - South Africa

Post by lukeventer »

Hi Tim, I'm an expat Saffa living in Scotland, but heading to SA for a visit with my wife and infant son.

Hoping to surf Breezy Point so looking for some advice on where to stay. Probably not a good idea to do your guided tour since I've got the family in tow, but do any of your neighbours or yourself rent out their houses? I'd be looking for a week's stay at the end of June / early July next year.

Sure does look like an killer setup there, been keen to surf it ever since seeing pics in Zigzag as a teenager in the 90s! The shark idea made me kak off back then but less concerned nowadays...