Surf trip in early June - where?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

hankj
Local (More than 25 post)

Surf trip in early June - where?

Post by hankj »

Thinking about a trip in early June this year. Not too interested in huge surf or crowded super premium spots (like Indo or Puerto) or travelling really far from the West Coast of the US. Any ideas? South facing parts of Central America seem like a good call? Mexico? Where should I look into?

Thanks
hankj

Post by hankj »

Narrowing to Nicaragua or Panama probably.
southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

Henry, lucky you, a surf trip! My first thoughts were mainland mex (Salina Cruz area) or Nicaragua. I've been to both in the past 3 years. We had small surf in Nica last July but we stayed with Surf Tours Nicaragua and had a great time. Mike Sears was there last March (with STN) and did better surf wise then we did. He also had a great time in part due to the set up. They have a large elevated deck that overlooks Punta Miramar which is a left reef. Three other spots in walking distance and only a 5 min boatride to Freightrains (Puerto Sandino), a long sand-bottom rivermouth left that can run for 400 yards :shock: ....of course we didn't surf it because it needs more swell. It prefers morning low tide so that you surf it on the incoming as the offshores are picking up mid-morning. Strong offshores mid-day can cause choppy conditions because of the rivermouth. One other point is that STN sponsored the KSUSA Titles last November 8)
Best of luck on your choice :D
hankj

Post by hankj »

Brad thanks, was considering Salina Cruz too but seems a little rough without a camp and camps seem hit and miss down there. Was your experience in Salina Cruz good?
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

We did a 7 day trip with a camp. Surf was a foot OH 1st day and progressively smaller all week. We didn't surf on day 6. We did not get taken to other spots, just the main one which was really fun, long right point. Other spots have more juice however. Was crowded so a bit disappointing to not have tried other less crowded spots. You'd be best to time it on a swell and do a 5-7 day trip with a camp. That would be worth it from a wave standpoint. How about Indo with a group of kneeboarders? 8)
hankj

Post by hankj »

Indo with kneelos? That sounds absolutely delightful. Particularly if it's not all left's .....

Been thinking about Bocas in Caribbean Panama too. Google it - has an extremely active wave window due to a deep ocean trench and looks like a totally killer town for hanging out. I know a Dutch woman who's a model/flight attendant/electronic music club bartender/yoga instructor/surfer who winters there every year and she reports that it's the s*&^ and still not overrun. Actually looks like a great place to bring family who don't surf even that isn't at all a compromise for them.

But Indonesia - I have heard that Hollow Trees can produce the occasional cover up given the right conditions ....