Santa Barbara south swells

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by stemple »

I am going to be spending some time in Santa Barbara this summer. How do south swells hit the area? It seems spots in Goleta and south of Rincon will break. How do the Ventura points and beach compare?
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

SB is in the wave shadow of the Channel Islands. Ventura and all points south are usually the call..........or north to Jalama.
kbing since plywood days
Pieetry
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Pieetry »

or to the islands
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I spent five years surfing the area from Topanga to Pt. Magu and got way more than my share of waves even at Malibu with a 8-10 south running and over 200 people in the water ( I counted....couildn't believe the mass of bodies).

I would check Zuma and Zeros (if you like lefts). Clowny Line always has something breaking.
kbing since plywood days
Sprocky
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Sprocky »

I grew up in Santa Barbara County, and your best bet if you don't want to travel outside the swell shadow is to hope for a wind swell. Best surf I've got there in the Summer is overhead peaks at Sands (about a mile walk up the beach from Isla Vista) after a stiff wind's been blowing in the Channel. But, yeah, as for Southern Hemis, if you can't get to the Ranch, try Jalama, or head south.
Bob Gove
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Bob Gove »

Get a boat, or find someone who has one and knows the area. We scored some large, epic surf on the last big south at both Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa islands with very minimal crowds at the latter. It can get very rough out there and is not for the timid, but with the right boat and someone who knows the area, you can score big time.
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

yeah! except there are at least 3-4 hundred other's these days with the same plans. I sold my boat 3 yrs ago when everytime I went out there it looked like a marina.It's alot of effort and expense . I would rather surf beachbreaks and travel to surf on a 747! Besides ,every spot out there is heavily surfed and has been for the last 20 yrs.