El Salvador

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

BillL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

El Salvador

Post by BillL »

I just got talked into a spur of the moment trip to El Salvador,I'm leaving the 2nd week of September.Has anyone surfed La Libertad or the other less frequented points?It's sounds like land of the right points and it's prime time for some souths,it wasn't too hard of a decision.Any feedback would be appreciated. Hasta,
Bill
albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

I have, I went there in 99 I think.

Got a tour guide which took us to some of the harder spots to get to, also away from La libertad. k57, k59, el zunzal, el zonte, etc. My advice to anyone going to el salvador is to stay as far from la libertad as possible. Its sketchy, lots of little homeless crackhead kids (not exaggerating on that one, at one point in my trip I almost got ripped off by a 7 year old crack addict kid). Luckily knowing spanish is a big plus for getting around, but not necesarily for finding surf.

My advice is to somehow find punta las flores and punta mango and stay there. Those two are the best point breaks you will find there (aside from crowded days in punta roca in the heart of la libertad). Especially if there is swell, you will get some sick barrels at punta mango.

Have fun
Albert
BillL

Post by BillL »

Thanks for the info Albert.Our plan is to go to La Libertad first,get a guide then go to Punta Mango or elsewhere if the swell picks up,but it sounds like I should give La Libertad a miss all together :shock: Bill
albert

Post by albert »

Absolutely, I have even heard of some spots close to guatemala that are worth checking out if your guide knows about them, outer reef type setups.
stemple

Post by stemple »

last week coming back from CR two guys got on the plane in San Salvador. I talked abit with them. They both had long boards and had gotten some surf early in the week. They did say that security was a bit of an issue. They said they kept mainly with their guides and did not wander off too far without them.

One of my employees just came back from visiting san salvador, her grandma. She also said security was sketchy. Bouncers at the night clubs carry M16's (likely provided by us) at the door and you have to get through a solid metal fence. Law enforcement is a bit sporadic with lots of arms around. Locals hire their own armed guards.

I wouldn't take anything to valuable with you. Taca charges $25 per board and they check. An extra board costs $100 each way.

Syd
Last edited by stemple on Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Bill,
do you ever work? all you seem to do is go on surf trips you lucky buggah.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
BillL

Post by BillL »

Hey Mike,
Despite popular opinion,yes,I do have a job.My master plan is to work 6-10 weeks then take a week off and hopefully find some surf,snow or solitude.I love what I do and don't want burn out.I figure if I maintain this schedule I'll be able to enjoy work and surf the rest of my life,so far it's working!Tell Dr. Brown I said Hi! I'll see you in Feb.
All this negative talk about La Libertad has got me nervous,I'm gonna try to grab a guide and go east asap.It's supposed to be a vacation,not a nightmare.Thanks for the feedback.
Bill
MWROBERTSON

La Liberated

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Bill,

I was in El Salvador a few years ago. We scored some great La Liberated. Yes, it can be sketchy, but worth it. We had a guide and spent some great time there. The wave alone is worth a day or two if you get it. I would however, bail south to the points mentioned in other posts quickly if it's poor. If you have a set up there by all means go. If you're alone or with a few other gringos you may have to be on guard. Bob Rotherham, if he is still there(ask for him), is an ex-pat who has been there for years. He has the locals and place wired.

Have a good trip. Punta Mango pumps!
Smokin Rock

you da man!

Post by Smokin Rock »

Bill,
you've worked out a lifestyle most only dream of. i salute you. i'll tell Dr. Brown you said hello tonite probably as he is on telerad call.
be careful dude, no wave is worth getting shot over.
see you in feb.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
BillL

Post by BillL »

Hey Guys,
Got back last night and am in one piece.Thanks for all the advice,you were all correct.We hired a guide who took us to Punta Flores and Punta Mango, stayed at a place right on top of Punta Flores which was a fun point/rock /sand bottom right point.It's a sheltered point so it was always pretty glassy and fun.We took a boat out to Punta Mango 2 days in a row.Scored the first day,overhead point waves with some long hollow sections with a good shoulder to work on your roundhouse.I surfed 4 hours the first session,the last hour with just one other guy.I love vacations!
That night we went to this pasta restaurant in El Cuco with the best marketing strategy ever for the rasta crowd, as soon as you sat down they brought you an ashtray with 2 spliffs in it, dessert order pretty much guaranteed.While at the restaurant we were treated to a classic Latin American downpour that made a river out of the streets and an adventure of trying to get back to where we were lodging.
The next day the swell was pretty broken up by the storm but due to previous night's shenanigans there was only 3 of us into surfing Mangos...
Went up to La Libertad and stayed at a place with an armed guard for the rest of the trip.We got fun surf all over the place, K59, a right point break,El Zonte,which reminded me of Rights and Lefts in the Ranch. Beautiful jungle scenery everywhere. During our surf at El Zonte the beachside cantina scene was going off,it was Independance Day in El Salvador and they had salsa drumming that you could hear in the water,made you want to practice your samba moves between sets.
The next day we cracked Punta Rocas,I woke up at 4:30 wondering what might happen on the way out there.Banditos wanting to relieve me of my flippers,forcing me to become one of the flipperless few? I wasn't ready nor in shape for that, this is a big point.Or what about the wild dogs that appear out of nowhere, wanting to sample your calve?How about the brown polluted water,Cholera anyone?Or could I just slip on the slimy rocks and break or cut something leaving me vulnerable to all of the previous hazards I just mentioned?Great,"Fear and Loathing in La Libertad".
Anyway, I walked out to the point,scanning everywhere, armed with rocks ready to take out anything that approached me.I took everyone's advice,don't walk in the cemetary,stay off the trail, walk on the rocks,no body jewelry.I took my old flippers,old board just in case,surround myself in white light,pray to any diety that would listen.And nothing happened,I made it out to the line up,stayed inside ,let the locals catch their waves and picked off some myself.I actually had a great time,caught a few sets,moved out in the line up,chatted with the locals,the surfers there,for the most part are very friendly.The best wave comparison would be Lennox Heads without sand.We got a good overhead swell for 3 days there.Of course,the day after I leave it's supposed to stack right up but I got a great taste of it,had a great adventure,met a lot of good people and heard of lot heavy stories that have occured there.
If you want to go there,hire a guide,respect the locals,don't be flashy and above all, Be Aware.
Bill
Willy Kelly

Post by Willy Kelly »

Hey Kneelos

I am planning a trip to El Salvador in August and I am looking for some tips on what kind of boards I should bring and any other helpful hints

Thanks 8)

Peace and good waves to all

Willy
BillL

Post by BillL »

Hey Willy,
Just bring your normal boards. The waves are really fun, nothing too heavy,cobblestone right points. Like really good trestles,rincon etc.Have a great trip. Bill
Stephen Michael
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Stephen Michael »

Check out Dale Dagger in Nicaragua. Spent 7 days there in October.Surf till your arms fall off every day....offshores all day and the most I ever (if we did) saw in the water was 4-5 mellow guys.
Stephen