travel to cabo

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

flojo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

travel to cabo

Post by flojo »

I am off to Cabo San lucas next week for a quick 5 day surf trip. Never been there before but going with a buddy that has. Anybody out there have any info on surf spots??

thanks

flojo
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

baja

Post by K-man »

well,no doubt your friend has a few ideas.If not, then go around the corner to the pacific side.Try cerritos.then pescadero,there are signs to guide you.Most traveling surfies are friendly and will have info.Some really good spots further north.,You may not have enought time.
Further inside you have san jose del cabo.Zippers old man,s the rock.Fun waves but it can get crowded.Further inside you have a hand full of other spots that need a decent swell.These are well known spots,no secrets being given
Have a good time!!
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

K-Man is right on with those Pacific side suggestions. Water should still be well above the bathtub level. Zippers is a fun right hander and the locals are just fine if you take your turn.

The East Cape is another choice and offers mile upon mile of great points. One of the more famous breaks is Shipwreaks. Its a long point which I've surfed from 3' to 15'....as it gets bigger, the wave just starts breaking further up the point.

My wife and I surfed there in 1980 for 3 weeks after getting married. Very uncrowded back in those days. Really fun surf adventure. We were living in Santa Monica and were able to find air fare deals.....under $50 roundtrip from LA to Cabo- so we would pop down for long weekends all the time.

Check out a good map and any Baja guide for more access info - it really helps if you get a mental lay of the land before you go. Back in the old days before decent road maps, I bought an aeronautical chart that listed prominent physcial features such as water tanks, radio towers, etc. Also, nautical charts help give you a nice look at the coastline.

Have a great trip. Forget the tequilla.....You'll want to bring back some Mexican vanilla - best stuff on the planet!
kbing since plywood days
K-man

Post by K-man »

Don't know what your transportation plans are.There are cars for rent.haven't been down for three years,and don't know what all is available.The vw is maybe the cheapest,and if you do that,it may be wise to bring along a set of soft racks.

cheers
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Maybe I shouldn't mention this....... but the rental VWs used to cost a fee plus a mileage charge. In the old days one would travel with a small pair of Vise Grips to 'adjust' the cable going into the speedometer/odometer. The VWs at the time had a basic cable with simple screw in hardware - much like a cable TV cable. Put 50 miles on the car then ...zip....no more mileage.

But those were in the days when we were young, had little money and semi-feral and lived on peanut butter and Pacificos.

Me bad.........
kbing since plywood days
K-man

Post by K-man »

Me thinks i'd change the word ''BAD' to...let's say economical.Yankee ingenuity ,if you like :wink:
WE rented a bug threw on the racks,and headed down the east cape.There is a stipulation that they not be driven ''off' road,and at that time the road was a monster of divots and ruts.Had to drive exactly on the high spots.You either drove 15,or40mph nothing else worked.40 was the only option.
Half way in the rear bumper came off and landed on the side of the road.Several nuts and bolts were gone :shock:
Had to stick the bumper in the back seat with my daugher,part of the bumper leaning into the front of the car.
About the time we're fixed up,a red bug comes by and offers help-thanks, we're fine.By the time we get to s. wrecks we notice the two lads peering under the car.Turns out they hit a divit,cracked the transaxle,no fluid.no drive
Luckily our friends have aplace on the hill above.and one of the neighbors had a flat bed.These guy were clueless,assumed that they were getting a free lunch,a free trip to town,we're all brothers no?
Sorry amigo-200$[us]to san jose.Then they had to deal with the rental people.They had car insurance...but it did not cover off road situations :shock:
Out of pocket with credit card-about a 1000$[us]
They were nice enough to stop to help,but they had that ''attitude''and they paid the price.
And the surf was good for five days :D

K