Arranging a Lift to the Santa Cruz Festival

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Marcman
Local (More than 25 post)

Arranging a Lift to the Santa Cruz Festival

Post by Marcman »

Hi

If anyone is driving up or know someone that is driving up from LA can they please let me know.

My plans are to fly into LAX on the 14th Nov, and it would be great to get a lift around then. I have no problems splitting fuel costs, ect.
I have looked into renting a car, however I have no idea where to go/end up and all that.

I need to be back in the afternoon at LAX on the 23rd to meet a friend where our journeys will continue down to San Diego.

Festival sounds like great fun and I can’t wait to jet set and get some waves.

Also what is the Water Temp there in November?
3/2 Steamer be ok?

Thanks
Marc Crawford
People say stand up and be counted.
We say get on your knees.
DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

driving

Post by DarcyM »

Hi Marc -

I am driving up from San Diego either on the 15th or 16th. If I drive up on the 15th (Monday), I'm planning on camping for one night on the way and getting some surf in, either at Leo Carrillo north of Malibu at the Ventura county line, or Ventura north of Emma Woods, or Santa Barbara, depending on where the surf looks good. I will have my tent trailer which has two beds, so there's room to share.

darcy
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

3/2 should work. You'll get a few opinions on wetsuits. I use a 4/3.
That time of year can see cold offshore mornings (28-40F,) but water temps are OK at 52-56F. Once the sun rises, the air temps can be 55-72, depending on weather. That's SF conditions... could be warmer in SC.

The SC guys can quote it better...
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

A 4/3 is a safe bet this time of year...but a 3/2 will work with booties.

We'll have to see how things settle out after our current storm system moves through. This is early for weather coming out of the north.....more like January or February. So, I think we'll have a better picture of conditions early next week.
kbing since plywood days
Jack Beresford

ride

Post by Jack Beresford »

Joel Mayer - the same Joel that has photographed a number of our SoCal gatherings and scrimmages - is also looking for a ride. He's not online yet but asked me to post a message. His number is 760-434-5166, e-mail is: jamco_dp1numa@hotmail.com

Jack
Marcman

Thanks

Post by Marcman »

Thanks for all the info.

Finalizing my plans now!
Darcy will let you know, just waiting on a friend in LA who i orginally spoke to, doesnt look good though.

Excuse my ignorance but generally what type of waves are in and around Santa Cruz.
Anyone got any link?
People say stand up and be counted.
We say get on your knees.
stemple

Post by stemple »

Marc,

Points, reefs and beach breaks. There has to be at least 30 rideable breaks between Monterey and SF. Check out the maps in surfline.com. They have a decent overall view of the most well known spots. Surf could be anywhere from shoulder to double overhead plus. Mavericks is 40 minutes up the coast so if your up to it, bring the rhino chaser.

I would bring a 4/3 suit myself, a hood can be a handy thing as well.

Syd

http://www.surfline.com/travel/surfmaps ... /index.cfm
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Marcman - re: links

Try www.cruzio.com they are a local service provider (nice people) and have a surf area where you can tap into various sites (such as teh Santa Cruz Surfing Museum) and cams of several breaks.

I'll try and find some time to post a more complete list but within the five miles of the coastline in Santa Cruz, you'll find more surf breaks than you'll be able to surf...many good KB spots.
kbing since plywood days
joe

Post by joe »

I'll be driving up from San Diego on Wednesday. If anyone needs a lift give me a PM.