NORTH SHORE KNEEBOARD GATHERING 2005

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kevin »

Aloha Scott,
A lot of talk around the NS about that incident. All the in water photogs I see around here wear helmets, evidently Jon was without one. This was clipped from today's Honolulu Advertiser:

Posted on: Thursday, February 10, 2005

Photographer dies at Pipeline

By Will Hoover
Advertiser Staff Writer

SUNSET BEACH — Well-known underwater photographer Jon Mozo died yesterday while working at Banzai Pipeline, and word of his death stunned the North Shore surfing community.

Mozo, 33, was swimming and taking photos of surfers yesterday. About 2 p.m. bodyboarders alerted lifeguards that a swimmer was in trouble, said Jim Howe, operations chief for the city Ocean Safety Division.

An off-duty lifeguard who was in the water dived and found Mozo. He and others brought Mozo to shore at Ehukai Beach Park and tried to revive him with a defibrillator, Fire Capt. Kenison Tejada said. Mozo had head injuries and had no pulse, Tejada said. Mozo was pronounced dead at Kahuku Hospital.

"People are just speechless," said fellow surf photographer Bernie Baker, who was shooting pictures from the beach at Ehukai yesterday.

Baker said yesterday was one of those "pristine, perfect kind of photo and surfing days." The surf at Pipeline was not especially big, he said, but the swell was out of the west "and as any North Shore lifeguard can tell you, when you have an extreme west swell you have an extremely strong current and it's very easy to get dragged into a shallow area off the reef.

"He probably found himself caught in the face of a wave, and with the power of these west swells it may have dragged him up and over the face of the wave and flipped him into the shallow water. He would have hit the reef, which at best has 5 feet of water."

Surf contest promoter Randy Rarick said he was saddened by the news. "I was just talking to him about shooting a poster photo for the next Triple Crown," Rarick said. "Normally we use artwork on the posters, but Jon's stuff was a little bit different — it was a little more arty. I thought something by him might make a good poster. That was the last time I ever talked to him."

In January 1993, Mozo was surfing at a spot known as "Goats" off Goat Island in Malaekahana when he was attacked by a shark. Mozo was able to paddle to shore. He later received 30 stitches on each foot to close the gashes caused by the shark.

Reach Will Hoover at whoover@honoluluadvertiser.com or at 525-8038.
scoop

Post by scoop »

hiya guys

surf looks like it will go on hold for a while up here on the north shore as a howling easterly has hit
the surf since I arrived a couple of days ago has been epic
fist day out at rocky point ...just west of sunset was just a learning experience....but the next day...further west at jocko's (near waiamia bay)
saw a vast improvement with ten fantastic waves in both directions within an hour....I know its a long period for you younger guys but hey....willl be 50 this year and I did come with no fitness training program to date....though I did think about it....
Sorry to hear about Jon Mozo....sunet was going off ...saw the paramedics doing there thing but didnt realise the real problemjust down the beach a bit...am use to so meny people getting rescued at home....mainly tourists
just thought id keep you up to date

pics will come later

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
fooj

Post by fooj »

Its raining its pouring...no worry all you visitors, get plenty more waves coming. NW, NNW, NE, N, WNW, even S. It been doing this all winter, a little bit of crappy weather followed by good surf, crap weather, good surf...
bongbong
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Last edited by Smokin Rock on Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
sponge

Post by sponge »

Ok, where are you guys? David Shibara told me you guys are back in town. We should do a story or two for the media. Always important to express the Alternative Waveriding Methods. Let me know if you like help. Aloha!
fooj

Post by fooj »

sponge,
Cool of you to offer your services, Buddy McCray is probably the man you want to talk to about the latest scoops. You have a nice website, I've been dropping in on it for a while. I like your insights, pretty down to earth. You tank, shortboard and sponge, ever thought about adding another skill to your resume'? Anyway, if Backyards is halfway decent on any day during this month, you are sure to see many halfmen out there, it has been invaded. It seems that surfing it is a prerequisite to participate in the NSG 05.
bongbong
sharkbait
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by sharkbait »

NSGers,

Any of you first-timers want to share your trip diaries? After reading Bud's vivid descriptions/caveats, I'm wondering how, say, a California bred kber would fare over there. Walter Mitty wonders...

S.B.

ps. pictures of Barry say 1000 words
john -

Post by john - »

how does one get to the pics from the 05 gathering?

cheers

:?
merely labled
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

john -

Post by john - »

:wink:
merely labled
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

A heads up to all you island boys: Kauai local surfer KEN EMERSON just won a Grammy for his guitar work in the Folk: Hawaiian catagory for his performance of two of his original compositions on the nominated album, "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, Vol. 2".

Ken had to drive through that nasty SoCal storm that slammed the area on Friday. He's on his back here so we can make a gig in San Francisco tomorrow. Can't wait for his stories...from what I've heard already, Ken hit some pretty wild n' crazy parties.
kbing since plywood days
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

japanmike (atom boy)

need a nice place to stay for the north shore gathering???

Post by japanmike (atom boy) »

We just got a place at Keiki Bungalows....
This place is really nice...clean, with lots of space and two floors.
We need a few more folks to make the price a little more cost effective. We are here now (Feb. 14th, Mon) and will be here until the end of the month.
Tony, Red, Mike and Mike are now here. We have room for any more kneelos out there. We are right on the beach at log cabins.

Send me a mail if you are interested. 8)
Or just drop by..or leave a note at Buddy's place.

We were at Backpackers (Plantation Village, etc) and it was pretty rough...lots of chickens and cats moving in and out of the place. Very low security as well.
Lost somewhere in Japan.........If anyone is ever interested in visiting this weird and wonderful place, please let me know.