NORTH SHORE KNEEBOARD GATHERING 2005

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

Last edited by Smokin Rock on Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Last edited by Smokin Rock on Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Just got back from the NSG 05 yesterday and Wow what an experience. I roomed with Barry and was one house directly behind Buddy's old house where Simon, Gigs, and Dave Parkes were staying. Backyards is a heavy spot and we saw it working 10-15' faces the first 3 days(Sunset was bigger) I was there from the 8th to the 16th. The biggest day was Tue the 15th a solid 10' Hawaiian which I learned has more to do with which reef is breaking than actual measured height! Sunset had solid 25' sets and Wiamea was breaking! I surfed outter Puena Pt that day at 8- 10' and it was fun.
I quickly lerned to be choosey on which ones to take, unlike Indo it's not groomed perfection where every wave is perfect, but many are. Backyards is pretty heavy with a large area of breaking waves and no channel. This makes it less surfed and therefore more waves are available, you just got to ge prepared to pay some dues.
Surfing with Simon, Dave Parkes, Gigs, and Buddy was insanely fun. Our own Barrell'n Barry B was tearing it up on his quiver of Schoellkoff's: 5'11", 6'0, and 6'6". The Hawaiians Mark McGuire, Dave S., and Jeff Fujimoto were all ripping. Carl Ward, Mark Mcloud, Ivan Flores and Red were also charging.
As for myself after a week on the nortshore I was just beginning to loosen up and adjust to the power when it all ended. I brought 2 boards: a 5'8" Blast y2k quad fish and a spanking new 6'0 Schoellkoff quad pintail that worked great.
For all of you wanting to see pics, they're coming! This is one well documented event, Darcy, Robert O'Toole, and Peter all have high end digital cameras with Robert's over the top. He should be called State of the Art Robert (STOTA Rob). Not to mention Sparrow's lovely wife ,Rebecca, video abilities!
Buddy is a gracious host and is in the final stages of finishing a gorgeous waterfront home overlookiong Backyards. Pulling this off with all he's got going on is quite a feat. He had a BBQ on the 15th and I counted 24 kneelos from all over the planet(not inluding their guests), a good time had by all. I strongly recommend the trip.
ALOHA Wayne
8)
DarcyM

NSG

Post by DarcyM »

Thanks guys for the nice comments about my pics.

Sad to say though, I'm going to be off of camera duty for the next four days as my camera crapped out. When the new camera is delivered I'll be back to posting shots of the action when it comes.

mahalo -
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
DavidS
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

contact info

Post by DavidS »

Hey Darcy or any of the other NS attendees,
if you folks brought your cell phones, could you pm me your number...
couple of the Hawaii guys want to meet up with you folks, but when we go to Buds house (usually after lunch) no one is around...

Want to hook up and surf with you guys...

Aloha,
David
albert

Post by albert »

definately Parkes on those shots.
Cripple Crusader
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Cripple Crusader »

how do you know when the best kneelo trip is over???
you get off the plane, everyone around you is pastey white, the glass-on fins on your board have been badly knocked out by the baggage handlers and then you take a drive to get some coffee and it starts snowing!!!! ahhh... London!!!

what an amazing trip - thanks Bud for hosting the event and putting up with everyone wandering around you garden!!!
Great to meet and surf with all you guys and hope to catch up soon.

Red, Scoop & Big Mike - I'll be bugging you all in Aus soon - immigration visa was waiting in the post for me when I got home!!!!

Best session had at Backyards - what a sweet wave, and another at Jocko's with Chris Buscumi and Bill.... Chris you rip!!!
For those wanting more photo's - I have over 500!!! Bit of editing to be done and will start posting a good selection.
Darcy - hope the camera ordeal is over soon (still managed some great shots from the West Coast)..... work that cannon agression off in the water!!! :wink:

Will PM guys I have good shots of if they want high quality images to print.

Peter
On your knees, if you please
joe

Post by joe »

Another shot of Simon at Sunset from Sickshots

http://www.sickshots.lunarpages.net/Gal ... /index.htm
Scott

First Two Days

Post by Scott »

Great posts, Wayne and Crusader. Moh info, moh bettah!

Day One and Two:

Off the plane at noon on Friday. Grab the rental car (Cheap Cars--$17/day for a ‘2000 little station wagon). Drop my wife off at some friends in Honolulu—she graciously said to head up to the North Shore and go see the gang right away (love that gal!). One hour later I’m standing in the back yard of Bud’s new home as Backyards has 6-8’ faces, bigger at Sunset Beach a few hundred yard to the west. So many hangin’ around: Red, Scoop, Tony, Lerner, Barry, Crawford, Gigs, Linn, the PR guys, and a bunch more. Gigs, a friend and ski are also waiting for a real huge swell to fly over to Jaws on Maui to do the tow-in thing: that’s a stand-up thing they’ve been doing for 5 years training for this. Tony Plunkett graciously lends me his underwater housing for my digital still camera, and I’m looking forward to see what I can do with that throughout the week.

But no time to waste: I’m quickly in the water at Backyards with Jeff from Oahu and Mike (Smokin Rock) from the Big Island. The water is so warm—no 4/3 hooded suits anymore! It’s also a shallow coral reef! My first wave is so fast; just zips right past me and I had to straighten out. My second wave’s a semi-free fall and an ignominious swat in the trough. Finally a few good rights and lefts after making the necessary North Shore adjustments (speed up the reflexes about 100%). Mike, also in his first session, creases his board on his second wave, then breaks it clean in two 30 minutes later; a favorite board of his for the last three years. Bud gives him a gunny loaner to tide him over. That was yesterday: see pics posted on the North Shore Gallery.

Today (Saturday). Arrive at first light, planning to hit Backyards or Sunset. But Simon is heading out so I decide to video instead. Simon surfs with solid power, really showing when to hit the accelerator and when to slow and explode up and off the face. You’d love the still frames from the video but I don’t have the software on my laptop to bring them across and post them. Barry also gets a ton of good waves, and then everyone seems to appear, rubbing the sleep from their eyes and ready to hit it. That is, all except Parkes, as it’s time for him to head off to the airport for his return flight. Some stories floating around about his last night on the North Shore, but perhaps he should tell those! Linn, Syd and I head out to Sunset with 8-12’ faces and not too crowded. We all get some of those thick, open water waves and share a lot of hoots. Then the Saturday morning crowd really starts to overrun both Sunset and Backyards.

Hangin’ out with my wife and friends in Honolul all day Sunday, so no surf for me. With some sizable swell and light winds forecast for Monday and Tuesday, this next week it should really be fun.
john -

Post by john - »

How do lucky kneelos?!

What is David Parkes riding on in - Length and fins

Darcy - loved your 3 pic sequence of him the other day!

cheers

dorje
merely labled
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Dorje,

David was riding a 6'8" tri-fin. Fins were large on the outside and medium size center. David got quite a few waves at Sunset during his 3 weeks.

I learned a lot about Sunset by watching and video taping (hopefully I'll get a couple new short vids up soon). I definitely see the draw to this large wave... The winds were up pretty good when I was there making it look extremely challenging to get into.

Great trip... more to follow!
Don Harris
john -

Post by john - »

Cheers Don

He is a versatile guy no?!

dorje
merely labled
john -

Post by john - »

That shot of Simon at westside posted by Don has to be one of the best ads for kneeboarding ever - pure thrill and it dont look all that easy toboot

some just dont see the potential in this form

poor them

d
merely labled
albert

Post by albert »

you mean this one...

I like it a lot too... so why not put it up again...