WHEN ARE YOU ON THE NORTH SHORE?????

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

Mike
I have never flown either but I have flown Qantas and they have never charged me....look into a qantas flightas I am sure (if you go via oz ) will be OK
I flew last year with air nz...a star aliance member... and they charge....$20 aust to the US and on the way back they (united) wanted US$90 but talked them down to $45 for 3 boards taped together
ring and ask is best if you want correct info

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Hey Mike,
Well done on making the effort to come along to the Gathering.
It will be great to catch up with you & have a face to face chat rather than the computer.
Go Qantas!!
They wont let you down like the other greedy pricks & they serve you with a smile not a hand 8)
Cripple Crusader
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Cripple Crusader »

Mike,

From Continental site:
Surfboard/Wakeboard
Continental Airlines will accept one surfboard/wakeboard or one surfboard bag containing up to two boards per customer as checked baggage. Domestically, a surfboard/wakeboard or one surfboard bag containing up to two boards is subject to a $80.00 service charge (each way). Contact Continental Airlines at 1-800-525-0280 or at our worldwide reservations numbers for international service charge rate information. The skeg/fin must be removed or well padded. The entire board must be encased in a suitable container to avoid scratching. Continental Airlines shall not be liable for damage to a surfboard/wakeboard. Excess Valuation may not be purchased for a surfboard/wakeboard.

Note: Surfboards, surfboard bags or wakeboards over 115 inches (292 cm) in length will not be accepted as checked baggage.

Surfboards/Wakeboards will be transported subject to load capacities of the aircraft on any itinerary involving a flight operated by ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. dba Continental Express or Continental Connection.

Surfboards and Wakeboards will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed. Exception: Kiteboards will be accepted to Costa Rica during an embargo period.

The trick with all the airlines is to get hold of them before you fly and either pay, or talk them into giving you written confirmation before you fly that there will be no charge - you can then wave it in the face of the check-in trolley dolly!!!!
From my experience, it is ever only the US carriers that charge - and then only at certain airports that handle a lot of surfboards.
Reckon if you're coming over from Japan, try get one of the eastern airlines - they will hardly ever see boards and therefor generally not have a policy for them.
On your knees, if you please
scoop

Post by scoop »

Mike

another trick is to have your clothes etc in a carry on bag (maybe pack some stuff in with the boards as your only checked baggage and the rest in a backpack small enough to take on the plane as hand luggage
My daughter travelled star alliance around the world and was allowed two bags up to 30 kgs each so one would think surfboards would come in under that
as others have said....ring your flight provider and check first
at least qantas we get free drinks for 9 hours.... unlike others
good luck matee

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
japanmike (atom boy)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Thanks guys...

Post by japanmike (atom boy) »

Yeah, I was quoted about $900 extra to fly from Japan to Australia and back with two boards....Yes, that is only the board charge!! The ticket is even more crazy..

I have also got continental quoting me $80 each way from Japan to Hawaii..
Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks again for your input..

mike
Lost somewhere in Japan.........If anyone is ever interested in visiting this weird and wonderful place, please let me know.
Cripple Crusader

Mike,

I've never paid for a board to fly, even on continental (although it was from Heathrow to JFK - not exactly a surf route!!!), but the $80 seems standard.

I reckon if you play the dumb tourist option / or the "I've flown Continental lots before and have never been asked to pay" you will get away with not paying in Japan, but from what I have heard from others who have been to Hawaii, it is getting out of there that they nail you.

Karl Ward left his boards in the Honolulu airport in 2003 when they wanted him to pay some stupid price for them to fly :shock: .... worked out cheaper to buy new ones rather than fly his home!!! Turned out well in the end as they shipped them over for free a couple of days later!!!

Good luck!!! :lol:
stemple

Post by stemple »

I just checked; Hawaiian airlines charges $80 each way SF-Honolulu for a board bag with two boards. It was not specific what the charge would be if you have three baords in one bag. Anybody have experience with Hawaiian?

This summer Taca airlines charged me $40 per board each way only allowed two boards, a third board would cost $100 each way.

What about FedEx ing your boards to somebody ahead of time maybe cheaper?
red

Post by red »

Looked into freighting/unaccompanied baggage my boards to Tahiti for the worlds. You get nailed on the volume (length x width x height) part of their cost formula (i.e. boards may not be heavy but they take up a lot of room). It was too expensive, so I just took a chance.

As Scoop suggests, keep your boards under weight and check only 1 piece of luggage (the board bag). 4 boards in a bag should come in under 20kg. May have to be 3 boards if there are a couple of 6'6" and 7'0" boards in there)

But be careful that your hand luggage looks under 9kg. Last time I went to NZ I took a roll-on case. It was light but it looked as though it might be heavy so they checked the weight at check-in and before customs (I actually had to transfer a few things into my board bag).
I'm getting a compression sack so I can squash my wetsuits and clothes (and mossie net!) into a very small backpack that weighs a ton (sort of a black hole of hand-luggage).

I reckon it's cheaper to go to the Salvo store and buy a couple of shirts , towel and blanket than it is to pay excess luggage (or even K-Mart for all you upmarket types!)

Oh yes, one time they tried to nail me for excess baggage I just opened my case and started putting on clothes until total weight was correct. Since I had already argued that my 3kg overweight in my luggage was more that compensated by the fat fucker next in line, there wasn't much that they could say about me wearing 3 jumpers and an overcoat (but it was really hot!).
red

Post by red »

here's a link for qantas and travel http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/be ... gEquipment
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

To all the people who are planning on going to the NSG 05, has anyone made any commitment to hiring a car? We are in the process of it now and I'm just interested in anyone elses prices or experiences. I need wheels and I'm after deals!! :D Hope everyone is getting excited!!

P.S. Red, did you get my SMS today re. your NZ friend??
Cripple Crusader

Sparrow
I usually use www.holidayautos.co.uk for where-ever I'm going. Haven't booked a car for Hawaii yet, but need to - if you find anything cheaper let me know!! :wink:
Aussie version at http://www.holidayautos.com.au/AUS/
Prices are generally pretty darn low and include all the insurance you need, so no hidden surprises at the airport (like the extra insurance etc).
scoop

car rental

Post by scoop »

SIMON
I have booked a car through Alimo
though after doing so I now receive emails telling me of last minute specials so I believe maybe leave it till the last week befor you travel and look at their specialseven go to their site and sign up for the emails they send each week and look at the specials they offer
I have booked a "compact:" for 9 days for $257 american dollars ...but the specials show vans (tarago type) for 199/week...mine is just smaller
but I am by myself but can accomodate another passanger if need be
I do have travel soft racks (double) so can put 4 + boards on the roof
hope this helps
And see you there

Tony
japanmike (atom boy)

cars..

Post by japanmike (atom boy) »

Hey Scoop,
You are at the backpackers, right?
I am looking to share transportation...maybe we could hook up sometimes.
I was thinking of renting a car but it doesn't make sense for everyone to have their own.....I could pitch in for gas/expenses etc.....

mike
Lost somewhere in Japan.........If anyone is ever interested in visiting this weird and wonderful place, please let me know.
IKAIKA
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by IKAIKA »