The Don Harris Tribute Project -- Mission Accomplished!

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

The Don Harris Tribute Project -- Mission Accomplished!

Post by DarcyM »

Hi all --

Just wanted to post in the forum for all who didn't get to see it what was the final outcome of all those e-mails we sent out! The DH Project was a tremendous success, thanks to all of you who contributed! Jon Manss did a super fantastic job putting together all of the photos, notes and heartfelt good wishes you sent in, more than 40 pages of thanks to Don for having started KSUSA and re-energized kneeboarding here in the states and beyond! We had contributions from San Diego, Brisbane, Sydney, Long Island, Melbourne Bch (FLA), Cornwall, Cape Town, Redwood City and points between. It was truly a worldwide effort. Jon bound the pictures and pages into a beautiful Hawaii-print scrapbook, and added a gorgeous cover page with a picture of Don and his lovely wife Bonnie at the front.

On Saturday at the awards ceremony in Santa Cruz, Dan Young took the mic to express our combined thanks for the KSUSA and to present Don with the book. From the crowd you could tell that he was touched and surprised, even a little misty-eyed, I think.

Then, the coup de grace, as Scott Wessling took over the presentation honors. Stalling for time a little as we waited for Bonnie to reach the stage, Scott again echoed all of our good wishes, paying particular attention to Bonnie who has no doubt sacrificed plenty to allow Don to spend countless hours on polishing the web site and investing in kneeboarding's future. Then Scott presented Don and Bonnie with a check of your donations, with the hope that they'd both be spending some quality time at the North Shore Gathering in 2005, in the amount of $1,100.00 !!!!!

They were stunned.

How cool is that?

thanks guys -- you're the best!
:D
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Darcy,
thanks to you John and Dan (and everyone else who worked on it) for the great idea and awesome follow through. you really can't say enough for what Dons contributed to this sport although your gesture was a good start!
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Thank you for the kind words Darcy. This was Darcy's thoughtful idea and she should take full credit for getting us all together and spurring us on. It was Scott W. who added the donation plan to the project and Darcy added that to her Emails and collected most of the funds. I am proud to Know such a warm hearted soul and would work by her side again no matter how hard she cracked the whip. :lol: Good one Darcy
hart

thanksgiving

Post by hart »

the last 12 months of my kneeboarding life have produced such extraordinary energy..

thanks to ksusa,

and thanks to Don.

bruce

so hope you liked early DY Point with PC in the water..so Sydney
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Wow , It's been a week since the SC Kneelo Festival/ Contest. A great time had by all. The presentation of " the Harris Project" was a very heart felt moment, Don was obviously touched. Hats off to Darcy, Jon, Scott, and all who provided the push to pull it off. 8) Wayne
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

All credit goes to Darcy, Jon and Scott for making this special project happen , from start to finish.

All hail, Darcy, the Task Mistress!
kbing since plywood days
stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

dh project

Post by stevea »

another thank you for ksusa im computer illiterate so dont contribute so much but the site has really put the energy back in to mykb surfing its great to see diferent views and opinion why im even surfing more than ever and have a quiver in mind when return to aust from 2mths in bali for me it is a resurection tour iwill live here next year and welcome any kneelos once i have house the earthrise logo is to rise from the ashes of a mispent couple of decades thanks again for what must have been a total pain at times great to see you getting recognition hoping to get to higher level of contributin have many tales to tell some of them are true but most may sound on the tall side there the one about bruce hart but i must give him chance of a little payola or is it what happens in the shaping bay stays in the shaping if you read this bruce im joking
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

THANK'S ALL

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

KSUSA =

#1-a persons love of the sport
#2 - respect the talent of others
#3 - no anomisity towards others
#4 - support and motivation

DON - DARCY - EVERYONE WHO KEEPS IT ALIVE !!!!!

((((((((((((((( GOD BLESS YOU ALL ))))))))))))

:P :P YOU KEEP THIS OLD HALFMAN GOING :P :P
Scott

Post by Scott »

I echo the thanks for you, Darcy, helping provide so much of the followthru that this project needed.

Much of what we do in life never gets recognized; that's probably as it should be in that such deeds are simply part of our duty to those with whom we are linked. It's a privilege, after all, even to be granted our brief years of life! And maybe we couldn't handle it gracefully if we got too much recognition. But it's nice when it does come our way, particularly when unexpected, and that is what all of us were able to have a hand in for Don and Bonnie. Thanks so much for those of you who conceived, connived, collaborated, and finally completed your individual contributions.

When Don returns from the east coast, maybe I could set up with him the scanning of the pages in the album so that all could see it somewhere on this site. It's truly international in scope and a one-of-a-kind project within the the kneelo community. Very cool!
scoop

Post by scoop »

SCOTT

MATE THAT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE
MY SMALL CONTRIBUTION IN AMOUNGST ALL THE OTHERS
LOOKS LIKE OUR CROSSOVER TIME IN HAWAII WILL ONLY BE A DAY BUT WILL GET TO HAVE A CHAT I HOPE
SEE YA SOON

TONY
PS....WELL DONE DARCY AND OTHERS INVOLVED
AND A JOB MORE THAN WELL DONE DON...YOU DESERVED EVERY BIT OF WHAT YOU RECEIVED...PROBABLY MORE...CHEERS MATEE
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Greg Little

Post by Greg Little »

I say Scott has a Great idea!!!!
I think for all of us who missed seeing the finished product
would love to see it.
Thanks Darcy, Jon, and Scott.
And a SPECIAL THANKS to Don, for bringing a sport and alot of people
who thought they were the only one left kneeboarding together.
THANK YOU
Greg...
joe

Post by joe »

The "Don Project" presentation, and the look on Don's face, was the highlight of the weekend. Don, thanks for all you've done.

Darcy, Jon, Dan, Scott, and all who worked on this project - Great Job!
yogisurf
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

The DH Project

Post by yogisurf »

Thanks Darcy, Jon, Dan and Scott. Hopefully the scrap book will get scanned, it would be interesting to see.

Don and Bonnie, enjoy the North Shore. I'll be looking for pics of Don in those Backyards tubes.

/Yogi
Bonster

Post by Bonster »

Hello everyone,

Don and I just returned from our Turkey Day celebration back east so I'm just getting online.

When I met Don in August of 1993, he told me he was a kneeboard surfer and that it was a sport that was popular before body boarding but that it had died off. I said, then why do you do it? He tried to explain it and, of course, I didn't get it.

Ten years later, I get it! You'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to get it if you attended the contest last week. The friendships that have formed are life changing, the support everyone provides each other is unbelieveable, and the fun and camaraderie is very uplifting. I wanted to thank everyone for including me in your presentation to Don. It was very exciting being part of something so heartfelt. My first group surfing experience was when I went to the World Titles in 1999 in New Zealand - the only person I knew was Bob Schiff. Since then, I've attended a bunch of contests here in the US and Australia, gone camping in Jalama and Big Sur, gotten to know some really fun people from all around the world.

Thanks to Darcy, Scott, Jon, Bob, and Dan for pulling everyone together to make this happen. And, thanks to everyone for contributing to the scrapbook and $$. When I read the notes/stories/heartfelt thanks in the scrapbook, it made me proud to be part of it. Obviously, I know Don spends a lot of time working on the site, coordinating surf boards from Australia, getting involved in contests, participating in "management" calls and so on. To me, it was just a lot of time spent on "surf stuff". Now I realize it was time spent reviving your sport and bringing a group of unbelieveable people together to share their passion.

I look forward to the gathering in North Shore and partying with people from all over the world! Thanks again,

Bonnie
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Hey Darcy check it out. Bonnie is an official ksusa member. Maybe you can get her on a board in Hawaii. I want to see the pictures. :lol: