East Coast Gathering Cape Hatteras September 12-15

Post your comments on current or past events, things we can improve on or just a summary of your views.

Moderator: Moderator

Man O' War
Legend (Contribution King!)

Isabel Channel Swell

Post by Man O' War »

One more note on Isabel.

Off the coast of South Florida lie the Bahamas, a very long chain of islands several rows deep that protect So FL from the big bad waves that could ruin a tourist's day. But there is a chink in the armor: a skinny little channel called the Providence Channel. When conditions are right, like when Isabel is going by east of the Bahamas, a select set of waves can sneak through via the channel and make a break for it to the beach. There is only one beach they can hit: Delray. Delray is famous for the "Channel Swell." When this phenomenon is happening, it can be overhead at Delray and flat a few miles north and south.

On Tuesday the 16th in the middle of the Isabel swell I decided to make the 3-hour drive north of Miami to Eric Carson's area, Sebastian, which was reported to be 10-12'+ and semi-glassy but turned out to be half that and blown out. On the way up, one of my sons said we should stop by Delray and just check it out for fun. Waste of time, I said, there's nothing this far south.

Maybe you'd like to see why I slit my wrists on Wednesday. If there was no KSUSA representation at Delray on this day, it was my fault.

http://www.cinema-ventures.com/surfpics.html
scoop

Post by scoop »

MOW....you tossa

Im not waiting for you to invite me over....
You will get me to the "nanas" afternoon tea ...not the surf of the century
My son calls me names cause i think i know everything.....
sometimes it pays to listen

lol matee...i know how you feel

cheers MOW

tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Man O' War

Missed Channel Swell

Post by Man O' War »

Tony,

You are so right. We're already riding on our KNEES. Why should it be a big deal to accept a little advice from our children?

This lesson was painful enough that I think I may have learned it.
Ler

GATHERING

Post by Ler »

Looks like you guys really scored. Great photos!
Cripple Crusader
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Cripple Crusader »

Just seen the pic's now - looks like you some excellent swell. About a week later Isabel was dumping her swell in the UK which made for some excellent sessions.
Just one question - what's with the "medical check"!!!!! :shock: If that's what's required for one of your gatherings I'm staying far away!!!! :twisted:
On your knees, if you please
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Cripple Crusader wrote:...Just one question - what's with the "medical check"!!!!! :shock: If that's what's required for one of your gatherings I'm staying far away!!!! :twisted:
When I went through the photo's Stephen sent along to create the Hatteras Gathering pages I wasn't really paying too much attention to the details of photo's... OBVIOUSLY!!!!

Good catch CC... This is absolutely hysterical! Looks like she's got a probe and a head set to make sure the "Exam" is diagnosed appropriately! HAH!

Remind me to get some titanium surf trunks should I make the next East Coast Gathering...
Don Harris
Cripple Crusader

Post by Cripple Crusader »

I've heard of Health & Safety, but thats "pushing it" a little too far!!!

This definately deserves one of those caption comp's!!!
On your knees, if you please
Stephen Michael
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Meds please.......

Post by Stephen Michael »

Never saw it myself.......
What is it really....

Photographer getting some really great 6-8 ft barrel shots.

Glad you saw "through it"

Stephen
Stephen